The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Even the craziest theories usually have some point that at least makes you go "hmmm" :think:

The FE doesn't have that. It's utterly bankrupt.
Yeah...and while the point for point attempts at introducing good science into bad rubbish is an interesting one, I can't help but think all that's really needed is to point out the massive, generational conspiracy absolutely necessary at the heart of the FE approach and to let people consider the likelihood and point of that sort of thinking.

Planes circling the earth, satellites, Eratosthenes, all the logic and evidence in the world is powerless against a conviction to look elsewhere.

Or, as I've said now and again, trying to talk a flat earther into reason is like trying to sell timeshares to Marxists.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This is the point and you are ignoring it.
I haven't ignored it. I've directly refuted it.

The moon would not travel at the same speed or path of stars if it circled the earth faster than the rotation of the earth.
It doesn't circle the Earth faster than the rotation of the Earth. It orbits the Earth at about 1/30th of the rotational speed of the Earth. That is to say that it takes about thirty rations of the Earth for the Moon to complete one orbit around the Earth.

If you are using the Sun's position in the sky as the reference point, the Moon completes one "Synodic month" in 29.53 days.

If you used the position of the "fixed" stars as the reference then this is called a "sidereal month" and the period is 27.55 days.

The only way moon and stars can be seen at a relative same speed and path would be if they were all close to each other and moving together over a flat earth.
Saying it doesn't make it so. Speed is relative and we aren't even talking about speed anyway, really. What we are talking about is line of sight. The angle of which changes in an inverse relationship to an object's distance. The further the distance, the less the angle of the line of sight changes with a change in position. So an object very much further away will appear to move less than a much closer object that is moving at the same absolute speed. At extreme distances, even very high rates of absolute speed will yield very little apparent motion while a very close object can move all the way across your field of view at even a very slow absolute speed.

I repeat the moon would not be moving at virtually the same speed and path as stars millions and light years away from it and us.

--Dave
Saying it doesn't make it so, David.

Saying it does not make it so.

Clete

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I haven't ignored it. I've directly refuted it.

It doesn't circle the Earth faster than the rotation of the Earth. It orbits the Earth at about 1/30th of the rotational speed of the Earth. That is to say that it takes about thirty rations of the Earth for the Moon to complete one orbit around the Earth.

If you are using the Sun's position in the sky as the reference point, the Moon completes one "Synodic month" in 29.53 days.

If you used the position of the "fixed" stars as the reference then this is called a "sidereal month" and the period is 27.55 days.

Saying it doesn't make it so. Speed is relative and we aren't even talking about speed anyway, really. What we are talking about is line of sight. The angle of which changes in an inverse relationship to an object's distance. The further the distance, the less the angle of the line of sight changes with a change in position. So an object very much further away will appear to move less than a much closer object that is moving at the same absolute speed. At extreme distances, even very high rates of absolute speed will yield very little apparent motion while a very close object can move all the way across your field of view at even a very slow absolute speed.

Saying it doesn't make it so, David.

Saying it does not make it so.

Clete

"To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour."

"The Moon orbits Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles per hour".

The movement of the moon around the earth is faster than the speed of the earth's rotation.

With the stars at a vastly greater distance than the moon from earth and the moon moving faster than the rotation of the earth there's absolutely no way the moon would ever appear to move at the same speed and path of the stars.

This is an absolute certainty.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah...and while the point for point attempts at introducing good science into bad rubbish is an interesting one, I can't help but think all that's really needed is to point out the massive, generational conspiracy absolutely necessary at the heart of the FE approach and to let people consider the likelihood and point of that sort of thinking.

Planes circling the earth, satellites, Eratosthenes, all the logic and evidence in the world is powerless against a conviction to look elsewhere.

Or, as I've said now and again, trying to talk a flat earther into reason is like trying to sell timeshares to Marxists.

Since there's a generational conspiracy to indoctrinate the world into believing in evolution a generational conspiracy to indoctrinate the world into believing in a heliocentric universe would not be impossible.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Since there's a generational conspiracy to indoctrinate the world into believing in evolution a generational conspiracy to indoctrinate the world into believing in a heliocentric universe would not be impossible.

--Dave
This is why you're mentally ill.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

--Dave
Actually no. You're speaking to a largely first world scientific exploration of the mechanism behind biological process. It's not universal and it's not a conspiracy. It's an open advance by those within the scientific community on the whole aimed mostly at people with largely religious views in lieu.

A conspiracy requires a secret plot by powerful conspirators.

To believe in a flat earth you have to believe in a generational and world wide conspiracy happening for no apparent reason that would align with some as yet unvoiced but definable, rational, and uniform interest of the parties involved. And that's why all the rest is a waste of time, because if you can believe the FE advance without being able to produce the support for that there's no reason to spend a moment speaking to evidence that puts FE on its ear.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Dave... did you ever get a chance to address my post about the width of Australia?
No, he didn't. Or at least, he never did address it. Whether or not he had the opportunity to, I can't say.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Actually no. You're speaking to a largely first world scientific exploration of the mechanism behind biological process. It's not universal and it's not a conspiracy. It's an open advance by those within the scientific community on the whole aimed mostly at people with largely religious views in lieu.

A conspiracy requires a secret plot by powerful conspirators.

To believe in a flat earth you have to believe in a generational and world wide conspiracy happening for no apparent reason that would align with some as yet unvoiced but definable, rational, and uniform interest of the parties involved. And that's why all the rest is a waste of time, because if you can believe the FE advance without being able to produce the support for that there's no reason to spend a moment speaking to evidence that puts FE on its ear.

I've provided plenty of supporting evidence for FE.

Secret societies have existed through out history who conspire to control the world through false world views.

--Dave

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dave, when your facts are wrong, the argument you make based on those facts is wrong. This is a question of facts.
Not necessarily. That process works in logic: If your premises are false, your conclusion is also false.

Unfortunately, stupid ideas can survive in a non-logic-based arena.

Apologies for nit-picking. It's my curse.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.