The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Rational Human
Of course not Jack. I post two completely different verses and you, of course, are to blind to see that they contradict themselves.

You haven't posted any verses that contradicted themselves.

One says he never hung himself

It doesn't say that. I posted the verse -- did you even bother to read it?

and you take that to mean that the limb broke so he killed himself another way.

No, I take it to mean he hung himself, after which he fell to the ground and burst open.

One says very clearly that god mande man and woman then the animals while the other says that is was animals before man and woman and of coruse, no contradiction.

No, it says He made some animals. It doesn't say that's when the first created the animals.

I do find it interesting that you ignored my thrid example.

I dealt with that earlier in the thread. Did you miss it?

Whic I fully understand. If you admit to there being contradictions then you admit that your entire faith my abe false, so it's okay. I understand.

I guess that's why you refuse to admit the many problems with evolutionary theory.

I have a Rabbi because he is the center of the Jewish community. Just because I am not religious does not mean that we do not have interesting religious discussions. I also volunteer time at my temple and also go to services.

What's the point of that?

Being Jewish is so much more than just a religion.

Nonetheless, it is a religion, and a rabbi is a religious teacher.

So' you''ll place your faith in god over man anyday, huh?

Absolutely.

Then come parachuting with me without a chute.

Why would I do that? God never promised He'd prevent me from falling to my death if I did something stupid like that.

I'll keep mine thank you very much.

Yeah, me too.

And thanks for the "illogical and irrational" bit again.

You're welcome. After all, you've earned it.

Last edited:

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
And again back to the cyclical discussion.

I say yes, you say no.

Jack, you may call me irrational and illogical till you're blue in the face, and I might even feel the same about you.

It changes nothing. You cannot concretely prove yourside and I obviously cannot prove my side.

Well, have fun and carry on.

Shade and Sweet Water

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod

I say yes, you say no.

Jack, you may call me irrational and illogical till you're blue in the face, and I might even feel the same about you.

It changes nothing. You cannot concretely prove yourside and I obviously cannot prove my side.

Well, have fun and carry on.

Shade and Sweet Water

Also Jack, your comment about my Rabbi demonstrates you clear lack of knowledge in this area. Do not dare have the gall to lecture me on what role my rabbi should take on to me sir.

I do not tell you how to live your life, do not dare dream you have the right to do so to me.

One Eyed Jack

Well, maybe if you could come up with some new points, rather than regurgitate the same old misapprehensions that have been around for years...

One Eyed Jack

Also Jack, your comment about my Rabbi demonstrates you clear lack of knowledge in this area.

How so?

Do not dare have the gall to lecture me on what role my rabbi should take on to me sir.

First of all, I haven't -- I simply asked you what the point in having a religious teacher was, considering that you're an atheist. Second of all, I'll dare whatever I want to dare, thank you very much.

I do not tell you how to live your life,

Then what's up with all this "do not dare" business?

do not dare dream you have the right to do so to me.

Who says I do? And just so you'll know -- your display of 'righteous indignation' doesn't impress me any more than calling me an idiot does.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

A rabbi is more than just a "religious leader" jack.

He is also a community leader for the Jews.

I know what a rabbi is. But let me ask you something -- how does your rabbi think siring a bastard child looks for the Jewish community?

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
I know what a rabbi is. But let me ask you something -- how does your rabbi think siring a bastard child looks for the Jewish community?

And who is the bastard child?

Zimfan

A rabbi is more than just a "religious leader" jack.

He is also a community leader for the Jews.

I'm just curious. If you believe that

All religion is a lie and a slap in the face of humanities ability to grow.

then why do you support your Rabbi in his position as a community leader? Doesn't supporting him as an authority figure give a little more weight to the "lies" of religion that he tells other people of Hebrew descent in your community. Wouldn't it be more ethical to oppose his position or at least do nothing to reinforce it?

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Zimfan
I'm just curious. If you believe that

then why do you support your Rabbi in his position as a community leader? Doesn't supporting him as an authority figure give a little more weight to the "lies" of religion that he tells other people of Hebrew descent in your community. Wouldn't it be more ethical to oppose his position or at least do nothing to reinforce it?

Well, he has been accused of being irrational and illogical...

One Eyed Jack

I just want to know your defintion since I am sure yours and mine differ.

My definition usually aligns with that of the dictionary. How about availing yourself to one? And I'm not asking what you think of it -- I'm asking how your rabbi thinks it looks for the Jewish community. Maybe you shouldl ask him for a definition...

Last edited:

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
It doesn't matter. I'm not asking what you think of it. I'm asking how your rabbi thinks it looks for the Jewish community.

I do not know of any "bastard" children within our congregation so It would be hard to answer this question.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Well, I would guess that you would probably characterize my son as one, since he was born out of your understanding of marriage and if that is where you were going I can say that it does not bother him. As far as he sees it not only have I brought one new person into Judaism but so has my girlfriend and her kids.

Course, we still partake of her Native American traditions as well so I guess you could call us multi-cultural.