The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Z Man

Re: Either / Or NOT Both / And

Originally posted by Husband&Father
The question of how the universe came into being CAN NOT be answered by natural law because in nature NOTHING IS CREATED. The answer to the question of the origin of the universe is a super natural answer. We all know it…all atheists know it, all Christians know it and all skeptics know it. Yet the atheists can not abide the super-natural. All things must have a natural explanation because super-natural = God. So the atheist will make themselves look foolish by making up natural explanations for supernatural events. It can not work. They come up with strange theories that involve all kinds of crazy possibilities such-as parallel universes and spontaneous transformations of nothing into everything. They claim that somehow (from nothing) a molecule of hydrogen happened and that there was a "big bang" and evolution started happening and now we have everything.

It is utter foolishness because the entire starting premise is wrong.

You have to start correctly (Respect God) to have any chance at being wise. One who has no respect for God can not have wisdom.
This should be the Post of the Day or something. Good job Husband&Father! :thumb:

You made a great point. Atheists and other's who disbelieve in God, try explaining a supernatural event with illogical and irrational ideas! If they would just sit back and take an overall look at the big picture, they would see how foolish it is to take God out of the equation. I mean, come on Rational Human; think about it..... parallel universes?!?! The Big Bang just happened?!?!?! LOL!!

In calling themselves wise, they make themselves fools...

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Z Man
All those "theories" that you gave examples for are pointless in this discussion; they had no effect on the belief of the existence of God. This does. It flies in the face of life itself, declaring that we are nothing more than a bunch of chaotic molecules running around making chemical processes all day... How demeaning. The very essence of life is sucked dry by the theory of evolution. No wonder no one cares anymore. What's the point? Evolution destroys reason, and a life without reason has no meaning...

BTW, I'm not arguing that evolution itself didn't happen, or could not of happened; I'm arguing that it would have been impossible for anything to happen without God.

Of course those arguments are pointless, seeing as how most of them revolved around the concept of god.

The pursuit of flight, and the subsequent pursuit of breeching the sound barrier. Flight was considered witchcraft and people were burned at the stake by Christains for that. Had we never gotten past the the sound barrier would never have been broken.

One of the greatest astronomers and physicists of all time, Galileo was murdered by the church for his "heretical" theory's almost all of which are today taken as truth. [The world is round and the world is not the center of the universe.]

Just because life was not created by god does not mean that life has no meaning. How sad and dreary your existence must be to feel that only god gives you purpose. For me, my son and faimly are my purpose. The objects that I create with my hands are my purpose. To build a wellcrafted basinet for my counsin who is expect a child soon gives me purpose and to know that the things I build will be around for generations.

My immortality is my family.

Your's is an unknown variable.

How sad for you.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod

For instance, we all know that in physics nothing is annihilated or created. All Science 101 students get this on the first day of class. Matter changes forms, but never disappears and something can not come from nothing. And yet that is exactly what you believe, that god created something from the void. So which is it Father? Does something come from nothing or can nothing come from nothing? You are contradicting yourself here.We all know this and would know it intuitively even if we were not taught it is college. It’s natural law. Yet the universe is here and it had a beginning. The question of how the universe came into being CAN NOT be answered by natural law because in nature NOTHING IS CREATED. So you are saying that nature creates nothing? How's this little slice of evoltionary magic father?

Evolution of a Unicellular Organism into a Multicellular Species

Starting from single celled animals, each of which has the capability to reproduce there is no sex in the sense that we think of the term. Selective pressure has been observed to convert single-cellular forms into multicellular forms. A case was observed in which a single celled form changed to multicellularity.
Boxhorn, a student of Boraas,writes:
Coloniality in Chlorella vulgaris
Boraas (1983) reported the induction of multicellularity in a strain of Chlorella pyrenoidosa (since reclassified as C. vulgaris) by predation. He was growing the unicellular green alga in the first stage of a two stage continuous culture system as for food for a flagellate predator, Ochromonas sp., that was growing in the second stage. Due to the failure of a pump, flagellates washed back into the first stage. Within five days a colonial form of the Chlorella appeared. It rapidly came to dominate the culture. The colony size ranged from 4 cells to 32 cells. Eventually it stabilized at 8 cells. This colonial form has persisted in culture for about a decade. The new form has been keyed out using a number of algal taxonomic keys. They key out now as being in the genus Coelosphaerium, which is in a different family from Chlorella. "

Boraas, M. E. 1983. Predator induced evolution in chemostat culture. EOS. Transactions of the American Geophysical Union. 64:1102.
from Observed Instances of Speciation

Evolution of a Unicellular Organism into a Multicellular Species

The answer to the question of the origin of the universe is a super natural answer. We all know it…all atheists know ityou have no clue what I know sirall Christians know it and all skeptics know it. Yet the atheists can not abide the super-natural. All things must have a natural explanation because super-natural = God. So the atheist will make themselves look foolish by making up natural explanations for supernatural events. It can not work. And yet it has in the past on numerous occasions. They come up with strange theories that involve all kinds of crazy possibilities such-as parallel universes and spontaneous transformations of nothing into everything. I have yet to see any evolutionist or atheists here even remotely suggest "parallel universes" and only Z man has been trying to confuse everyone here by using the nothing into something argumentThey claim that somehow (from nothing) a molecule of hydrogen happened and that there was a "big bang" and evolution started happening and now we have everything. Again, I have never said that it came from nothing. You seem to think that I believe that there was time when nothing was around. Again, do not assume you know my thoughts. I, unlike theists, do not believe that there was EVER a time where "nothing" existed. Solar systems are born and die as do the stars they fly around. Such is the truth with our solar system. It was born and it too will one day die. Life here will either perish or will be able to leave this world and travel to others [talking the physical world so stay with me. Stop daydreaming of the rapture]. It is a never ending cycle, and like all cycles it has had no begining and will have no end.

It is utter foolishness because the entire starting premise is wrong.

You have to start correctly (Respect God) to have any chance at being wise. One who has no respect for God can not have wisdom.

Okay Father, so you believing in an invisible, all-powerful, mythical entity is wise and logical. If you say so sir!:kookoo:

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Re: Either / Or NOT Both / And

Re: Re: Either / Or NOT Both / And

Originally posted by Z Man
This should be the Post of the Day or something. Good job Husband&Father! :thumb:

You made a great point. Atheists and other's who disbelieve in God, try explaining a supernatural event with illogical and irrational ideas! If they would just sit back and take an overall look at the big picture, they would see how foolish it is to take God out of the equation. I mean, come on Rational Human; think about it..... parallel universes?!?! The Big Bang just happened?!?!?! LOL!!

In calling themselves wise, they make themselves fools...

Show my post where I mentioned parallel universes.

Behira

ZMan:

1 - conflicting stories in the various books of the Torah/Bible, which includes not only Torah to Bible but also Torah on Torah and Bible on Bible conflicts.

Name one conflict please?

2 - Relgions significant role in dividing humanity.

In the beginning G-d created, G-d gave humanity through Adam a mission, to manage or rule the earth, Adam failed there were consequences; one of which is death entered in both to humanity and to the creation; it is slowly deteriorating; not global warming.
This mission to the Children of Israel was indeed to be a light unto the nations; to reveal Himself through them; which He has done, in His Messiah (Jesus Christ). That revelation is given to anyone who truly wants it.

3 - "God" choosing only to reveal him/her-self to only a few people instead of to the entire world.

G-d revealed Himself to Adam the first human; and all of humanity that would ever lived was in Adam; G-d did therefore reveal Himself to all of us at one historical time. G-d said He carved us on the palm of His hand; when He scooped up and formed Adam He made a mark; and the mark is on everyone to this day. Look at your palm you should find a mark like a W. That is a Shin, a Hebrew letter that looks like W. It is His mark and name.

4 - It is just my nature to put more faith inthat which can be logically explained than what is based on superstition and myth.

If you study with the Rabbis and learm some Hebrew you will find the logic you look for. The Christians bless them lost it when they left Jerusalem in 70 AD or so. They were not Christians of today; they were Hebrews, Jews, and they continued practicing Biblical Judaism; they were called by their contemporaries Notzrim, offshoots, branches. Constintine was largely responsible for the Christianity you see today; it was a politically correct thing to to.

The covenant was first given to the Children of Israel; but it had provisions for the stranger; those that were not Israelites by birth; but by faith; they believed in the Hebrew G-d; and accepted the obigation and benefits of the covenant. This holds true today;with G-d; maybe not the Israeli gov't but with G-d. When the covenant was severly broken by the nation; as a result of King Soloman's rule; the Israelites were exciled and their seed dispursed to the four courners of the earth. Jesus at the cross reconciled the exciles and opened the covenant to the Gentiles. Today in legal term when a contract is broken; a party suis to regain loss; there is a reconcilliations of both parties and reparations if you will are made sometimes by both; it is said the contracting parties are to be made whole; Shalom in Hebrew means "whole" wholeness.

Read Deutronomy; and you will see the stipulations of the covenant; such as keeping the Shabbat, The Lords Feast Days etc. and you will see specific curses (consequences) for obeying or disobeying. Very logical indeed. And they work for everyone; G-d invented "what goes round comes round" He said it you reap what you sow.

The tradgedies in life and destruction earthquake, flood, famine, hurrican are both a result of not obeying and of a world in slow deterioration. There were no earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, valcanoes, bombarding comets, wars, murders prior to Adam's fall. That is the last time there was utopia. There isn't any way humans can perfect themselves nor their world as a result; only when the fullness of time has come, and this is soon, will G-d restore all things.

Science was not/is not/and will not be perfect as it uses faulty humans to look into a faulty world, through fautly instruments; as they instruments are all made from the dust of this earth.

Behira

Following the Torah, G-d's Covenants doesn't give a perfect life either; it does give the best possible outcome in a fallen world, it was also given as it reveals the Messiah.

LightSon

Originally posted by Rational Human
Just because life was not created by god does not mean that life has no meaning. How sad and dreary your existence must be to feel that only god gives you purpose. For me, my son and faimly are my purpose. The objects that I create with my hands are my purpose. To build a wellcrafted basinet for my counsin who is expect a child soon gives me purpose and to know that the things I build will be around for generations.

My immortality is my family.

Your's is an unknown variable.

How sad for you.
Is immortality important in your paradigm, RH? I hope not, or you will be disappointed. How many first names of your great-grand parents can you name off the top of your head? I'd be lucky to get 2. So much for their immortality. Their memories are nigh unto oblivion.

I'm glad you have purpose in your family and your son. I don't mean to take that away, but rather only add to it.

There is a reality, which we do well to take pause and consider.
For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: (1st Peter 1:24 )

This is inescapable. We are here for such a short time and then the memory of our having been here will fade. Only in a very few cases, of accomplishment or extreme evil, do peoples' names of get remembered.

I don't know why we should be sad. Christians have at least as much value in our families as the average citizen and probably moreso. I find my life to be extremely rich in quality since that time that I surrendered my will to God. There is only value added in our blessed hope of the resurrection and joy forevermore with God.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by LightSon
Is immortality important in your paradigm, RH? I hope not, or you will be disappointed. How many first names of your great-grand parents can you name off the top of your head? I'd be lucky to get 2. So much for their immortality. Their memories are nigh unto oblivion.

I'm glad you have purpose in your family and your son. I don't mean to take that away, but rather only add to it.

There is a reality, which we do well to take pause and consider.
For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: (1st Peter 1:24 )

This is inescapable. We are here for such a short time and then the memory of our having been here will fade. Only in a very few cases, of accomplishment or extreme evil, do peoples' names of get remembered.

I don't know why we should be sad. Christians have at least as much value in our families as the average citizen and probably moreso. I find my life to be extremely rich in quality since that time that I surrendered my will to God. There is only value added in our blessed hope of the resurrection and joy forevermore with God.

My grandfathers name was Shaia Marshak. He and his brother Samuel [my great-grand uncle] and his sister Sara [my great-grandaunt] came over to America from Germany with their father Yitzchak in 1894. My grandfather, Martin was born in 1903, the second of three sons.

I know my family history going back to the 1700's actually.

As for you lying to yourself about god and what not, I'm sure you'll be surprised when the lights go out and that's it.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Behira, these are my points you are responding to so I will have to once again post my answers.

Originally posted by Behira
ZMan:

1 - conflicting stories in the various books of the Torah/Bible, which includes not only Torah to Bible but also Torah on Torah and Bible on Bible conflicts.

Name one conflict please?

Here are several:
[Matt 27:5] Judas committed suicide by hanging
or
[Acts 1:18]Judas did not hang himself, but died another way

[2 Sam 8:4]David took seven hundred horsemen
or
[1 Chron 18:4]David took seven thousand horsemen

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
OR
GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

GEN 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
or
GEN 7:8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, GEN 7:9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.

DO you want me to post more? I can.

2 - Relgions significant role in dividing humanity.

In the beginning G-d created, G-d gave humanity through Adam a mission, to manage or rule the earth, Adam failed there were consequences; one of which is death entered in both to humanity and to the creation; it is slowly deteriorating; not global warming.
This mission to the Children of Israel was indeed to be a light unto the nations; to reveal Himself through them; which He has done, in His Messiah (Jesus Christ). That revelation is given to anyone who truly wants it.

The "revelation" is only there who share the same religious belief and if they do not then it is perfectly okay to hunted them down, force them to make a confession and then torture them before murdering them for their confession.

The Inquistions and the Crusades are more than shining examples of the "revelation" of Jesus Christ.

3 - "God" choosing only to reveal him/her-self to only a few people instead of to the entire world.

G-d revealed Himself to Adam the first human; and all of humanity that would ever lived was in Adam; G-d did therefore reveal Himself to all of us at one historical time. G-d said He carved us on the palm of His hand; when He scooped up and formed Adam He made a mark; and the mark is on everyone to this day. Look at your palm you should find a mark like a W. That is a Shin, a Hebrew letter that looks like W. It is His mark and name.

Okay, I have yet once again been proved wrong.

This is the stupidest thing a Theist has ever said to me.

Your proof of god is the faint resemblance to a Shin on our palms?

And why would it be a Shin? Why is it hebrew when Judaism did not even exist in the "Garden". If your argument is that the language we call hebrew is the one that Abram [later known as Abraham, the first hebrew] spoke before he became a hewbrew then we are all really just Chaldeans for that is where Abram came from.

4 - It is just my nature to put more faith inthat which can be logically explained than what is based on superstition and myth.

If you study with the Rabbis and learm some Hebrew you will find the logic you look for. The Christians bless them lost it when they left Jerusalem in 70 AD or so. They were not Christians of today; they were Hebrews, Jews, and they continued practicing Biblical Judaism; they were called by their contemporaries Notzrim, offshoots, branches. Constintine was largely responsible for the Christianity you see today; it was a politically correct thing to to.

The covenant was first given to the Children of Israel; but it had provisions for the stranger; those that were not Israelites by birth; but by faith; they believed in the Hebrew G-d; and accepted the obigation and benefits of the covenant. This holds true today;with G-d; maybe not the Israeli gov't but with G-d. When the covenant was severly broken by the nation; as a result of King Soloman's rule; the Israelites were exciled and their seed dispursed to the four courners of the earth. Jesus at the cross reconciled the exciles and opened the covenant to the Gentiles. Today in legal term when a contract is broken; a party suis to regain loss; there is a reconcilliations of both parties and reparations if you will are made sometimes by both; it is said the contracting parties are to be made whole; Shalom in Hebrew means "whole" wholeness.

Read Deutronomy; and you will see the stipulations of the covenant; such as keeping the Shabbat, The Lords Feast Days etc. and you will see specific curses (consequences) for obeying or disobeying. Very logical indeed. And they work for everyone; G-d invented "what goes round comes round" He said it you reap what you sow.

The tradgedies in life and destruction earthquake, flood, famine, hurrican are both a result of not obeying and of a world in slow deterioration. There were no earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, valcanoes, bombarding comets, wars, murders prior to Adam's fall. That is the last time there was utopia. There isn't any way humans can perfect themselves nor their world as a result; only when the fullness of time has come, and this is soon, will G-d restore all things.

Science was not/is not/and will not be perfect as it uses faulty humans to look into a faulty world, through fautly instruments; as they instruments are all made from the dust of this earth.

I studied in an orthodox yeshiva in Brooklyn. The same one my father went to BTW. Even when he lost his faith he still sent me there to learn.

When I was 15 I scrounged up the courage to confront him with my doubts. To my utter and complete shock he not only agreed with me but showed me more integral failings of the belief in god.

This was a man who for 15 years kept kosher [man's law], did no work on Shabbos [ man's law], and did just about every other crazy and useless ritualistic doctrine placed on us by rabbis of thousands of years ago.

Religion drives people apart, rather than bringing them together, unless one party converts to the other religion.

I opnely challenge anyone to show how to differing religious opinions have ever truly made peace with one another?

There is still hatred in the Middle east. Irishmen still have Englishmen.

All religion is a lie and a slap in the face of humanities ability to grow.

Husband&Father

Did I say you said it?

Did I say you said it?

[Did I say that the ability to lay eggs was generated over many generations?

No, it's either there or it isn't. And we know that the process is continuing because micro-evolution is still continuing.]

Darwinism holds that all traits evolved over many generations.
So, the theory goes, there was once an animal that did not lay eggs then it did. Did I say you said it?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Religion drives people apart, rather than bringing them together, unless one party converts to the other religion.

I opnely challenge anyone to show how to differing religious opinions have ever truly made peace with one another?

There is still hatred in the Middle east. Irishmen still have Englishmen.

All religion is a lie and a slap in the face of humanities ability to grow.

Deal is you are sort of right. The Christian "religion" never saved anyone! Relationship with the creator of the universe and accepting his free gift of salvation through the death of Jesus,THAT is the REAL DEAL.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Did I say you said it?

Re: Did I say you said it?

[Did I say that the ability to lay eggs was generated over many generations?

No, it's either there or it isn't. And we know that the process is continuing because micro-evolution is still continuing.]

Darwinism holds that all traits evolved over many generations.
So, the theory goes, there was once an animal that did not lay eggs then it did. Did I say you said it?

This is such an over-simplification that it clearly demonstrates that you either have no true understanding of the theory or you do and are just attempting to trivialize it.

I have no time for either right now.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Exactly. Now please explain that to all you religious friends here.

I believe they already know that.

My point was that an opinion is true to the opinion holder and those who share the opinion.

They might think it's true, but that doesn't mean it is. Truth isn't relative.

It is you [assumption] opinion that god exists. You believe this without positive proof, and no, a book written almost 2000 years ago does not count as proof to me.

What makes you think I don't have positive proof? And no -- I'm not talking about the Bible, although it does count as strong evidence.

I believe that god does not exist and all my science could never prove it to you.

I believe God does exist, and all my science could never prove it to you. I guess this brings us to an impasse.

Now, who's opinion is true and whos' is false?.

We'll find out after we die, now won't we?

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Egg on darwins face

Re: Re: Egg on darwins face

And we know that the process is continuing because micro-evolution is still continuing.

It's not continuing for the Cheetah, is it?

Just so you know Father, your evolution did not end with you growing a thumb.

The reason it hasn't ended is because it never even started.

One Eyed Jack

[Matt 27:5] Judas committed suicide by hanging
or
[Acts 1:18]Judas did not hang himself, but died another way

That isn't what it says. Judas hung himself, and after that he fell (either the rope broke, or the limb did) and his guts burst out when he hit the ground. There's no contradiction there.

[2 Sam 8:4]David took seven hundred horsemen
or
[1 Chron 18:4]David took seven thousand horsemen

Maybe he captured seven thousand and only kept seven hundred. After all, horses and horsemen were relatively high-maintenance when it came ancient warfare -- only the best are worth keeping. Notice where it says he houghed (hamstrung) all the chariot horses except enough for a hundred chariots.

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
OR
GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

There's no contradiction here. First God made the animals, then He made man, then He made some more animals in front of man so Adam could name them. Have you got any original arguments, or does all your stuff come from atheist websites?

GEN 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
or
GEN 7:8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, GEN 7:9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.

There's no contradiction here. By far, most of the animals went in by twos. So there were a few that went in by sevens. It's already been mentioned, so why mention it again in the recap?

DO you want me to post more? I can.

I think you're gonna have to. Most of your examples seem to mistake clarification for contradiction. I have seen any real contradictions yet.

Gawain

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Hi One Eyed Jack,

Are we doing contradictions? I've got a couple!

Exodus 6:3 has "my name Yahweh, was not known to them" (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob).

According to Genesis the name "Yahweh" was well known to them.

Gawain

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
2Samuel 24:1 has God inciting David to take a census.

In 1Chronicles it's Satan who incites David to take a census.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gawain
Hi One Eyed Jack,

Are we doing contradictions? I've got a couple!

Exodus 6:3 has "my name Yahweh, was not known to them" (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob).

According to Genesis the name "Yahweh" was well known to them.
diferent times in history try again

Gawain

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Hi Delmar,

Exodus 6 occurs after Genesis. According to Exodus 6 Abraham et al didn't know the name "Yahweh". According to Genesis they did know the name Yahweh.

That Exodus occurs after Genesis ("diferent times in history"), doesn't change the aforementioned fact.