The non-abortion

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
very good, very touching. I welled up with joy

Can you believe 58 people viewed this without a response!!!

:wazzup:

Even robots would shed a tear over this one.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the title non-abortion. It seemed appropriate to me. I see this kid as an escapee from our modern death camps screaming; "Abortion is wrong...abortion is wrong!".

Oh well
:idunno:

Jamie Gigliotti

Wow! Thank you George for sharing. Amazing! His glory is displayed in every life; and how awesome to see in this beautiful life.

alwight

Maybe I shouldn't have used the title non-abortion. It seemed appropriate to me. I see this kid as an escapee from our modern death camps screaming; "Abortion is wrong...abortion is wrong!".

Oh well
I realise my comments here might not be particularly welcome or heart-warming since I'm no pro-lifer regarding abortion.
That might perhaps explain other people's reluctance to comment, since at least I can certainly empathise with the brave young boy in the video.
For me it's not about being pro-abortion, it is about being able to make a rational, preferably prompt choice, with perhaps a reasonable medical justification or possibly rape related circumstances.

I don't particularly want to comment on the boy in the video who may have a great many tough years to face.
However I have a sister, now well into her 50's, who from a congenital dysfunction has spent most of that time suffering, physically and mentally, to say nothing of the constant special care needed or the immense heartache and anguish caused to my late parents.
Given a retrospective choice about that I know what I would choose albeit with the benefit of hindsight. :plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
However I have a sister, now well into her 50's, who from a congenital dysfunction has spent most of that time suffering, physically and mentally, to say nothing of the constant special care needed or the immense heartache and anguish caused to my late parents.
Given a retrospective choice about that I know what I would choose albeit with the benefit of hindsight. :plain:

thank you for sharing that

if you don't mind me asking, do you think your parents ever regretted having her?

iow, do you think, at the end of their lives, that they wished they had not borne her?

alwight

thank you for sharing that

if you don't mind me asking, do you think your parents ever regretted having her?
Well, they never said that to me specifically but there wouldn't have been any reason for them to consider an abortion since the technology of the day wouldn't have detected any problem. While otoh abortions just weren't even something to consider at that time, you just got on with it and accepted whatever happened.
However yes, if pushed, I'm quite sure they certainly did regret how it turned out and would have liked to have had some advance warning and been able to press the reset button and tried again.
These days we have better technology, medical knowledge and an option to abort, meaning that another more viable pregnancy may sometimes be the best option for all concerned.

iow, do you think, at the end of their lives, that they wished they had not borne her?
Clearly yes.

However I realise that some such parents claim to find inspiration and with some Down's syndrome children I can understand that, since many do clearly enjoy life and give life meaning. But for others it is nothing but a hard fruitless slog that I wouldn't recommend or impose on anyone.

PureX

Oh well
If they're like me, they resented the fact that you were too lazy to make your own point. And instead just posted a link. So they didn't bother to open it.

Jamie Gigliotti

Well, they never said that to me specifically but there wouldn't have been any reason for them to consider an abortion since the technology of the day wouldn't have detected any problem. While otoh abortions just weren't even something to consider at that time, you just got on with it and accepted whatever happened.
However yes, if pushed, I'm quite sure they certainly did regret how it turned out and would have liked to have had some advance warning and been able to press the reset button and tried again.
These days we have better technology, medical knowledge and an option to abort, meaning that another more viable pregnancy may sometimes be the best option for all concerned.

Clearly yes.

However I realise that some such parents claim to find inspiration and with some Down's syndrome children I can understand that, since many do clearly enjoy life and give life meaning. But for others it is nothing but a hard fruitless slog that I wouldn't recommend or impose on anyone.

On one side no one knows the difficulty a man or woman faces in life, unless one has walked in their shoes, and from a moralistic perspective it's easy to judge a person having an abortion.

But from a Christian perspective the difficulties we face in life, God desires to use to move us to His loving arms.

Many women have tried to rationalize away a morality that permits an abortion, including Jane Roe, unfortunately Jane herself and many others have come out on the losing end of that equation, living with shame and regret and my heart goes out to women living through that, and to the ones living with disabled children, praying they all find His loving embrace.

alwight

But from a Christian perspective the difficulties we face in life, God desires to use to move us to His loving arms.
If I believed in God then I too would probably have to conclude that whatever ultimately happens is His will.
But I would also have to somehow reconcile that we are now able to control for ourselves some major life affecting aspects unlike ever before.
Being pro-choice is not the same as being pro-abortion, it's about making perhaps the least worst human choices, and that might even be what God wants us to do rather than in being dogmatically opposed to any and all abortions. It's also about individuals being allowed to make our own choices, and in not having the choices of others imposed on us.