The Religion of Blinding Bluster

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Killing is killing. Murder is just a legal assessment of quilt. Our legal or moral assessments are not absolute. And as to how rape could be justified, the fact that we can ask tells us that we cannot be absolutely certain that it could not be justified under some unforeseen circumstances.

The point here is that our concept of righteousness is just our concept of righteousness. Calling it absolute is just blind bluster.

Once again, under what circumstance could rape, murder, abuse ever be okay?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Killing is killing.

No.

Killing is either a crime or it's justified. The circumstances surrounding it determine which it is.

Murder is just a legal assessment of quilt.

Murder is the unjustifiable taking of a life, which is what makes it illegal.

Our legal or moral assessments are not absolute.

Yours may not be, but God's are.

And as to how rape could be justified, the fact that we can ask tells us that we cannot be absolutely certain that it could not be justified under some unforeseen circumstances.

I asked you in order to test your beliefs. It doesn't mean we cannot know absolutely.

So on the one hand, we have you who claims there are no absolutes, and that rape might be ok depending on the circumstance, and that abortion isn't murder.

On the other hand, you have me and pretty much everyone else in this thread telling you that rape is NEVER justifiable, that absolute right and wrong DOES exist, and that abortion is the murder of the most innocent humans on earth.

So again, I ask: What if you're wrong, and we're right?

The point here is that our concept of righteousness is just our concept of righteousness.

Mirror, look in it.

My concept of righteousness did not come from myself.

If it had, it wouldn't be very righteous, because I am human, fallible.

Calling it absolute is just blind bluster.

Calling our claiming that righteousness is absolute blind bluster is just blind bluster.

marke

Well, a tribe of ancient Jews has made it clear that they believe se is wrong outside of marriage. You're calling them "God" is a level of false idolization that I am not willing to accept.
You have your interpretations of the Bible and you will answer to God for them. I will answer to God for what I believe He has said and wants.
We all belong to God. And we will all die. Some of us at the hands of others. In a perfect would this would not happen. But we don't live in a perfect world. And we are not perfect beings.
We don't live in a perfect world and yet God expects us to behave or answer to Him for our disobedience.
You are not God, so you don't get to make that determination.
Don't make the mistake of thinking God has not ruled in the matter just because you think I may be wrong about what He thinks about it.

marke

Sorry, but the greater good is dependent on many factors that we cannot know or predict. I won't play your silly games and you won't actually consider anything I post, anyway, so what's the point?
Human governments make laws reflecting general public views of right and wrong. You seem to believe there must always be confusion as to what laws are right and what laws are wrong. I agree that some laws are wrong and should not exist, such as allowing abortion. In those cases, I would go with God, not with human error.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's a rare thing for me to agree with both of you in the same thread on the same topic, but it's definitely refreshing!

While it's rare, and it'll continue to be rare, maybe it's a good reminder that wide ranges of thought are what keep conversations active, and rather than banning PureX you could allow the thread to continue organically until it fades away on its own. He's outnumbered here and it can be a lot, trying to answer multiple people at once, especially when the posts become very parsed. If he gets to the point where he doesn't want to engage anymore the thread will fade, but that doesn't make him a troll.

Gary K

Banned
All humans have been given a conscience by God. Even the most backward tribes of humans on earth know how to tell right from wrong in some basic areas.
It goes a lot further than that. Missionaries have been told many times when they first arrived at very remote villages how someone in the tribe had been given dreams years before about how white men would come and teach them about Jesus. The entire village would be baptized because the Holy Spirit had prepared the way for truth to be received. Those dreams changed the entire course of these villages even before the missionaries arrived.

Hoping

Banned
Trying to have statues of famous Americans removed creates division in America and those forcing their modern views against long-held traditions should expect eruptions among the citizens. Wiser and more considerate individuals will not be so bold as to suggest the destruction of traditions and values held by Americans for decades or even hundreds of years.

A Chicago-area pastor has requested that Washington and Jackson Park be renamed, and that statues of the two former presidents be removed. In response, he has received death threats, he says.

Rev. James Dukes says that the number of hate messages he has received since making his proposal has surpasssed hundreds, but he says that he just wants to respect the suffering of those in his community.

"We can have public hearings and the public can engage my only fear is if that happens others from around the country will come and we surely don't want another Charlottesville in Chicago!," he said.

His recommendation comes in the aftermath of violent protests in Charlottesville, VA over the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue.
Rev. Duke got his 5 minutes of fame.
It was a shame so many devilish folks threatened him instead of just talking it out.
BTW, some of the "long-held traditions" are no longer pertinent to anybody but those living in the past.
Glorifying the losers of the Civil War, or other slave owners, is (some of) what is dividing America.
Not attempts to rectify appalling idolizations.

Hoping

Banned
Bible-believing Christians find comfort in all the Scriptures, not just a handful of select verses badly interpreted. What born-again Christian cannot identify with David as he pours out his heart to God in Psalm 38?

1 O Lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.

3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.

4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.

5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.

6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.

7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

8 I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart.

9 Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee.

10 My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.

11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.

12 They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.

13 But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.

14 Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.

15 For in thee, O Lord, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.

16 For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.

17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.

18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my si
n.
I'ld say the born-again Christians can see from whence they have been rescued.
From the life walked in the flesh instead of walked in the Spirit.

Hoping

Banned
I defend life, because abortion is wrong because it's a baby and it's always wrong to intentionally kill a baby and that's because children are made in God's image and God said, "Do not kill the innocent."
False. For example: Killing someone who is desperately trying to kill you is not murder.
And the Bible makes the distinction between "kill" and "murder."
That's a very twisted way of looking at things.

Not surprising coming from someone who claims to be perfect.
As long as you have opened that door, I find that by praying, and asking God to keep me away from any situation wherein I may be forced to kill in my own or other's defense, works perfectly.
Others must be praying to their 357s, 38s, and 45s.
That is idolatry.
But no, God says to execute those who are convicted of capital crimes. Execute. Put to death. Cut off. Kill.
I thought you were done with the OT's laws?
(maybe I am thinking of some Mid-Acts-Dispensationalists)
God also said:
“Whoever sheds man’s blood, By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man. - Genesis 9:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis9:6&version=NKJV
God did not contradict Himself when He commanded "you shall not murder," and then commanded that murderers be put to death, because "kill" and "murder", while both are the taking of a life, one is justified, the other is not.
I am so happy I live by the edicts of the Law of Christ, and in the NT, now !

Hoping

Banned
Bait and switch.

False.

Nope.

Rather, under normal, everyday circumstances:

You have the right to life.
I have the right to life.
I also (along with you) have the right to defend my life up to and including killing my attacker.

If you attack me, intending to take my life, I have the responsibility to do my best to stop you without taking your life. However, in order to prevent you from taking my life, if it is not possible to stop you, my attacker, without killing you, then you have at that point, forfeited your right to life, and I then have the right to take yours in order to save mine.
Like Paul, in Gal 2:20..."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
It isn't "my" life anymore, so I will let Him that owns me take care of my defense.

Where does your responsibility come from?

PureX

You have your interpretations of the Bible and you will answer to God for them. I will answer to God for what I believe He has said and wants.
I see no evidence that suggests that God cares at all about what we claim to believe. I do see evidence that suggest that love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity make the world a much better place for everyone living in it. And since it appears to me that this was Jesus' message and promise to us, I'll accept that as my truth.

I'm not saying that there is no wisdom in the OT, or in any other religion's sacred texts, but I can see for myself that there is a lot of ignorance and bigotry and superstition there, and that clearly did not come from God. Nor does it result in the world being a better place for everyone in it.
We don't live in a perfect world and yet God expects us to behave or answer to Him for our disobedience.
Again, I am seeing no evidence to suggest this is so. This idea appears to be nothing more than a vengeful hope that God will punish those we would like to punish, ourselves, but have been unable to.
Don't make the mistake of thinking God has not ruled in the matter just because you think I may be wrong about what He thinks about it.
The truth is what is, not what we wish it were. Especially when what we wish it were is more brutal, vengeful, and unjust than the world we're already living in.

Right Divider

Body part
I see no evidence that suggests that God cares at all about what we claim to believe.
Where are you looking for this "evidence"?
I do see evidence that suggest that love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity make the world a much better place for everyone living in it.
Where did you find this "evidence"?
And since it appears to me that this was Jesus' message and promise to us, I'll accept that as my truth.
Since you do not believe that the Bible is God's Word, how do you know what "Jesus' message" is?
I'm not saying that there is no wisdom in the OT, ...
So generous of you.

PureX

All humans have been given a conscience by God. Even the most backward tribes of humans on earth know how to tell right from wrong in some basic areas.
And yet the thief always finds his own behavior to be justified, somehow. And so does the murderer. Because we can think our way past and around our "conscience" quite easily when we want to. Our own sins become invisible to us. Especially when we spend all our time telling ourselves and everyone else how unquestionably righteous we are. :)

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And yet the thief always finds his own behavior to be justified, somehow. And even does the murderer. Because we can think our way past our "conscience" quite easily when we want to.
Gee if only we had a guide
Our own sins become invisible to us.
Speak for yourself
Especially when we spend all our time telling ourselves how unquestionably righteous we are. :)
You poor foolish blind hypocrite

PureX

Human governments make laws reflecting general public views of right and wrong. You seem to believe there must always be confusion as to what laws are right and what laws are wrong. I agree that some laws are wrong and should not exist, such as allowing abortion. In those cases, I would go with God, not with human error.
Everyone has their opinions, and yet no one actually knows. Because none of us are gods. We can't see the whole picture. We don't know the whole truth. The difference is that some of us accept these human limitations and realize that we must trust in God because of all that we don't know. While others of us adopt the false pretense of having obtained such divine vision and knowledge. And then use it to put themselves above everyone else. And then to try and control and oppress everyone else in the name of this falsely assumed "God-knowledge". It's these people that this thread is addressing.

Gary K

Banned
Everyone has their opinions, and yet no one actually knows. Because none of us are gods. We can't see the whole picture. We don't know the whole truth. The difference is that some of us accept these human limitations and realize that we must trust in God because of all that we don't know. While others of us adopt the false pretense of having obtained such divine vision and knowledge. And then use it to put themselves above everyone else. And then to try and control and oppress everyone else in the name of this falsely assumed "God-knowledge". It's these people that this thread is addressing.
Oh, what logic. To take God at His word is just another human opinion. No basis at all in Biblical evidence. :rolleyes: