ECT The Trinity and War

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
First, a definition for the Trinity after a reminder that the word Trinity is not found in the Bible and a statement that I do not believe the Trinity was developed during the Biblical period but probably afterward.

There is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
The Father is God. The Father is not the Son and not the Holy Spirit.
The Son is God. The Son is not the Father and not the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is God. The Holy Spirit is not the Father and the Holy Spirit is not the Son.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this definition? If you disagree how would you modify it or what definition of your own would you have to offer? If you agree would you relate it any differently if you were the one providing the definition?

Nothing in there I would disagree with but I'm not sure you are covering the whole waterfront (I don't feel like thinking that much right now. :chuckle:
:think: But what you have there is pretty much standard Reformed theology. The way I used to "explain" the unexplainable was to use three statements:

1. GOD is three Persons.
  2. Each Person is fully GOD.
  3. There is one GOD.

That's pretty much Trinitarian theology in a nutshell. Each statement can be backed up by scripture either directly or by inference. :idunno:

Simple yet inscrutable...paradoxical even.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
First, a definition for the Trinity after a reminder that the word Trinity is not found in the Bible and a statement that I do not believe the Trinity was developed during the Biblical period but probably afterward.

The Holy Spirit is God. The Holy Spirit is not the Father and the Holy Spirit is not the Son.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this definition? If you disagree how would you modify it or what definition of your own would you have to offer? If you agree would you relate it any differently if you were the one providing the definition?

for God's Will, God became flesh, Jesus Christ who is The Word in the flesh. for the purpose of fulfilling God's Will, Jesus was apart from the Father on earth. God's Holy Spirit is everywhere and anywhere God Wills at all times. i just quit trying to define and separate, in my mind, and know that God tells us. inasmush as, attempting to explain this to someone who understands, yet refuses to believe, it's pointless. they seem to want debate, i personally don't anymore. for people that DO understand and SEE, Praise God, for those that don't, we can only try explaining it a few times and move on. :)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said
lol Where did that come from. The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit is in the Godhead. I would like to be, but I'm not.
You are not. Now are Jesus and the Holy Spirit or just the Father who is God?

God is Spirit. Is this the Holy Spirit. Jesus' Father is God. Our heavenly father is God.

I do not say Jesus is the Godhead.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
You are not. Now are Jesus and the Holy Spirit or just the Father who is God?

God is Spirit. Is this the Holy Spirit. Jesus' Father is God. Our heavenly father is God.

I do not say Jesus is the Godhead.

I said
The Godhead is not a person, it is a group of persons. God is not the Holy Spirit. Jesus is not God. The only true God is the Father. Jesus told us that.

John 17:1-3

1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
(NKJ)

Paul told us the same thing. for us there is only one God the Father.

1 Cor 8:6
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
(NKJ)

Now we as a people seen Jesus and walked with Him, and we Heard Him speak many times. Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to speak to us and quote the new testament verses. So neither one of them can be the Father or God. The Father is the only God.

John 5:37
37 "And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
(NKJ)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said
The Godhead is not a person, it is a group of persons. God is not the Holy Spirit. Jesus is not God. The only true God is the Father. Jesus told us that.

1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
(NKJ)

6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
(NKJ)

Now we as a people seen Jesus and walked with Him, and we Heard Him speak many times. Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to speak to us and quote the new testament verses. So neither one of them can be the Father or God. The Father is the only God.

37 "And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
(NKJ)
Why would you say head means more than one or that head means three?

Our heavenly father and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ God's only begotten Son is God. There is not a head God.

Colossians 2:9 NASB, Colossians 2:9 NKJV.

keypurr

There is only one God, the Father.
Jesus Christ is the son of God, not God but a god.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is only one God, the Father.
Jesus Christ is the son of God, not God but a god.
1 Corinthians 8:6 NASB - yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

Colossians 2:9 NASB - For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, not just a son of God.

Anapto

Hi and I just looked at Col 2:9 and tghe Greek word is " theotes " and it is a Transliteration , and is translated , Godhead , Deity or the state of being God !!

They like " THEOTES /DEITY " as it is really talking about the Father , Son and the Holy Spirit !

Rom 1:20 uses " THEIOTES " which can be translated Godhead !!

dan p

Hi Dan,

I think there was no better linguist in the last century than Bullinger so FWIW here are his notes that pertain to your above post under...

Appendix 98. I. ii. 1-3

http://levendwater.org/companion/append98.html

Anapto

Done because of necessity, not because they were eager to run into a flaming building.

Same with wars.

Hi Tambora. Just something that came to mind. God did a couple of things with/for Israel, He would chastise them but He also protected and defended them.

Exo 15:3
The LORD is a man (ish) of war:
the LORD is his name...

Rom 9:17
...For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh,
Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up,
that I might shew my power in thee,
and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

Quoted from Exodus 9:16

Exo 9:15
For now I will stretch out my hand,
that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence;
and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.
Exo 9:16
And in very deed for this cause
have I raised thee up,
for to shew in thee my power;
and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Why would you say head means more than one or that head means three?

Our heavenly father and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ God's only begotten Son is God. There is not a head God.

Colossians 2:9 NASB, Colossians 2:9 NKJV.

I said
I never said there was more than one God. God the Father is that one God.
His not their invisible attributes. His eternal power and Godhead
Rom 1:20
20 For since the creation of the world
His invisible attributes
are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
(NKJ)

In Jesus Dwells the fullness of the Godhead(God the Father and the Holy Spirit) And you are complete in Him(God the Father) Not them.
Col 2:9-10
9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
(NKJ)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I said
I never said there was more than one God. God the Father is that one God.
His not their invisible attributes. His eternal power and Godhead
Rom 1:20
20 For since the creation of the world
His invisible attributes
are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
(NKJ)

In Jesus Dwells the fullness of the Godhead(God the Father and the Holy Spirit) And you are complete in Him(God the Father) Not them.
Col 2:9-10
9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
(NKJ)
The Father is God. There is no other God. And, there is no Father God.

John 6:27 NASB - "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal."

Jesus is not the Godhead.

But are God the Father and the Holy Spirit the same in your view?

You know there are two verses in the NKJV that say Godhead is what I have gathered from your post here.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi Dan,

I think there was no better linguist in the last century than Bullinger so FWIW here are his notes that pertain to your above post under...

Rabbi Tetenstein is going to love this post.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
we know. He Is THE God - Lord AND Saviour - Jesus Christ - Thomas ? is that you ? :mario:
Jesus is the Word made flesh, but can I say from John 1 that the word is God?

No, my name is not Thomas, and to be honest I have no way of telling what you are asking except that Thomas was unfortunately known for his doubting or for recognizing Jesus as his Lord (and God?).

John 20:28 NASB - Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I said

(NKJ)

(NKJ)

(NKJ)

poor squeaky. please stop telling us what neither one of "them" can or cannot do. you cannot define, presume, assume, and make statements worded as fact, to "explain" what God can or cannot do. do you remember what God did to Moses and the Israelites, when Moses disrespected Him ? a little bit. he insulted Him a little bit - :)