There Are No Rules In War?

WizardofOz

You are the equivalent of an armchair Brit in the 1700s who insists the infantry square is not only militarily but morally superior, even in the face of Colonials going guerrilla.

I certainly do feel that American military forces are both militarily and morally superior to any current combatants they face.

You don't?

The difference is, they would do it out of a stupidly antiquated sense of honor.

Ah, so having a sense of honor is stupid and antiquated.

Be sure to mention this to the next marine you run into:

WHAT ARE THE MARINE CORPS VALUES?
Honor This is the bedrock of our character. It is the quality that empowers Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior: to never lie, cheat, or steal; to abide by an uncompromising code of integrity; to respect human dignity; and to have respect and concern for each other. It represents the maturity, dedication, trust, and dependability that commit Marines to act responsibly, be accountable for their actions, fulfill their obligations, and hold others accountable for their actions.

Marine corps core values

You do it because you want U.S. soldiers handicapped against fighters who YOU KNOW have neither rules, morals nor honor.
And therefore we shouldn't either? Yes, sorry if values handicap us against a sadistic enemy force. Should we lower ourselves to their (lack of) standard?

You didn't answer; are there rules in war?

musterion

I certainly do feel that American military forces are both militarily and morally superior to any current combatants they face.

You don't?

Of course I do but that's not the issue.

The issue is, do you think American military soldiers should be bound by rules of engagement that limit them in the face of an enemy that has no such rules? From your posts so far, you won't come out and say "yes" but you mean "yes."

Ah, so having a sense of honor is stupid and antiquated. Be sure to mention this to the next marine you run into:
Try again, idiot. I worked with Marines and SEAL teams in the JIC of an LHD for four years. Can you say that? Can you say anything close to it?

Yes, sorry if values handicap us against a sadistic enemy force. Should we lower ourselves to their (lack of) standard?
Is doing so necessary to end the war?

You didn't answer; are there rules in war?
Depends on the enemy.

WizardofOz

Of course I do but that's not the issue.

You find them morally superior? Great. How does this translate to the battlefield? In combat, our troops are morally superior how?

The issue is, do you think American military soldiers should be bound by rules of engagement that limit them in the face of an enemy that has no such rules? From your posts so far, you won't come out and say "yes" but you mean "yes."

:sozo: YES! Our troops should be and are bound by rules when engaged in war.

Try again, idiot. I worked with Marines and SEAL teams in the JIC of an LHD for four years. Can you say that? Can you say anything close to it?
Irrelevant personal anecdotes aside, you said honor is stupid and antiquated, not me. When you're working with them next mention this to them. They'll tell you who the idiot really is.

Is doing so necessary to end the war?

Do you feel we have to ignore rules of engagement to defeat the Taliban or ISIS or al-Qaeda?

Depends on the enemy.

Sometimes there are rules in war?

Who decides when there is or when there isn't?

musterion

You seriously do not know what you are talking about. Or maybe you do...it's people like you who have gotten U.S. body bags filled that might otherwise have stayed empty. I seriously wonder if you're okay with that.

WizardofOz

You seriously do not know what you are talking about. Or maybe you do...it's people like you who have gotten U.S. body bags filled that might otherwise have stayed empty. I seriously wonder if you're okay with that.

More aimless rhetoric...:yawn:

Come on back if you're ready to actually address the points raised

This Charming Manc

Nick calm down, no one here has spoken in any length in support of ISIS or justified anything they do.

I think what agree on is that ISIS what they stand for and there methods are evil end of. I don't froth at the mouth and beat my chest about it like some, but its agreed.

I don't like snuff videos so I watch or don't post them, but dont we disagree with you about ISIS, we agree, they are utterly evil and need to be overcome.

What we disagree about is how and the standards we uphold whilst we do so.

If this is a solely fight between our tribe and there tribe and last and standing wins we can sink to there level and win and no harm is done.

But I think this is a fight of Good verse Evil, and to beat evil by being evil is not possible. If we sink towards there levels of depravity to win the tribe verse tribe war , we loose the good verse evil war.

Can we beat evil by being just as evil as they are, or do we have to be different?

Here is what that pervert and his demonic witch companions on TOL want.

al-qaeda executions

You vile disgusting pervert. You have nothing to say about islam. But you rail on about waterboarding. Go to hell. And take that demon pig annabendetti, rusha, thebarbarian and others with you.

drbrumley

The mass slaughter of civilians does not achieve much except a pile of dead civilians, unless that is your goal.

musterion

Manc, you neg'd me (which is fine) for proposing installing a half-mile wide glass crater where the Kaaba presently stands. You seemed to have a major problem with that...something about "loosing your rag" (no idea). Anyway, I think what torqued you off about that is, you assumed I would see it done mid-pilgrimage.

No.

That would only make thousands of martyrs and so would be counter-productive.

Instead, I would blanket the surrounding area for 24 hours beforehand with airdropped leaflets warning Muslims to stay far away from the cube because at zero hundred hours zulu, it and the surrounding area will turn into plasma and dust.

Problem solved. An malignant politico-religious structure will be shown for all time to be powerless and without a god to defend it (for destruction of the Kaaba is unthinkable to Muslims). Result: Islam's most violent adherents worldwide will succumb to shock and lose the source of the power of fear they hold over others, and indeed, over themselves. The ones who stay the course will commit suicide or be offed by the others in short order, but Islam as a threat to civilized Mankind would cease to exist, forever, because it will have been proved for all time that Allah does not exist OR that he allowed it to happen.

Either way, the worldwide plague of Mohammedanism ends.

Question: What would be immoral or inhumane about cutting off the snake's head in this fashion, so the body will die?

PS To be sure, I'd propose doing the same with Medina, where Mohammed is buried, and if possible, the Dome of the Rock. But wiping the Kaaba should suffice.

WizardofOz

True, I was merely speaking on the framework of us doing it. But truth be told as well, that is precisely the reason Christians support the war on terror. It is an effective recruitment tool for the enemy.

Agreed as usual :cheers: Merry Christmas DRB!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
is that the only reason they were executed?
Probably not. On the home front, the United States made sure that the Japanese were seen as "less than human" and the propaganda depicted them as savages with buck teeth.

From there it was just a matter of time--like the Jews and the Nazis-- before they were placed in camps.

was the form of waterboarding used by the nips the same as used by the cia?
I hate to do someone else's leg work and research, but here is some information you might study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
they also executed japanese "troops" (seven, as it turns out) who ate cornflakes for breakfast and brought their mothers flowers :dizzy:

c'mon aikey - you're smarter than this

educate yourself:

Of course Hemingway does not see waterboarding as torture! Why is that a surprise?

The right wing author Christopher Hitchens did not believe it was torture either, but he volunteered to undergo waterboarding and concluded it was full-bore torture.

http://waterboarding.org/node/38

I just thought of a good dodge for you--a way to make sure your opinion is still the right one. Simply say:

Well, it may have been called waterboarding but it really wasn't. So it was not torture.

Dick Cheney reached the same conclusion: the report (which Cheney admitted he hadn't read) was a "bunch of crap."

Arthur Brain

Here is what that pervert and his demonic witch companions on TOL want.

al-qaeda executions

You vile disgusting pervert. You have nothing to say about islam. But you rail on about waterboarding. Go to hell. And take that demon pig annabendetti, rusha, thebarbarian and others with you.

You're beyond stupid if you think that's what anyone "want's" you demented crank.

:freak:

This Charming Manc

No those facts dont correlate.

I believe ISIS to extremely evil.

I believe the west to relatively good.

However for good people to do evil things to evil people is still wrong.

We cannot overcome evil by becoming evil.

On a more practical note the day you make it OK for governments to torture the enemy, you make it much easier for them to torture there own citizens.

Then you agree they should be killed by any means necessary to rid the world of their evil, yes?

shagster01

Was it evil for God to command Israel to wipe out pagan nations of men, women and children? Are you going to be an absolutist on this, or selective?

The only reason you think God commanded that is because the people who did it said God commanded them to. Nearly every lunatic says that.