To All Atheists Out There.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublemaker

In hopes that one along the way would come to Christ.

I think it takes more faith for you not to believe then it does for a believer.
I think I can see all kinds of evidence of my God.

Rabbet

In truth, there is no proof that there is no God. Alternatively, there is no proof that there is a God. The keyword being proof, we have no way to empirically test the existence of a spiritual being. All we can do is examine the evidence that can be tested empirically, and determine from what we learn whether it is more reasonable to believe or not believe. I, for example, have read the Bible extensively, and have found that it doesn't provide a convincing arguement for the existance of God, at least of YHWH- hence, I do not believe in your God.
Just out of curiosity, why do you ask atheists to prove the non-existance of your God?

I'd like to offer this possibility to answer your question, though I speak for no one but me:

The Christian God is, by Christian definition, beyond understanding. A rational Christian must accept, then, that proving the existence of that God is impossible while believing in the possibility that God does exist. But always in the back of the Christian mind is the knowledge that proof of God doesn't exist; this truth is inescapable. This can weigh on a Christian's mind, as it is always a possible conduit to doubt, and doubt can destroy faith. To a Christian, the thought of losing their faith is terrifying. No Christian wants to become apostate, lest they spend eternity in hell.

A Christian who experiences this must seek some kind of reassurance that it's right to believe what they believe about God.
If they can't find the proof they need to settle the issue, they often ask others to find the proof for them; i.e., they ask people to prove God doesn't exist. If a person can't offer the proof that God doesn't exist, this becomes a sort of security blanket for the Christian, a potential reassurance that the Christian is right after all to believe in God. It's a mind game.

A Christian who believes he or she is certain of the truth of their convictions has no need to ask non-Christians to show proof that God doesn't exist. That they do ask shows the fragility of their belief.

Rabbet

icilian fenner

An atheist is an atheist.
My dictionary says: An atheist is someone that believes that God does not exist...

It's really a question of semantics - The word comes from the greek a-theos - meaning 'without god'.

Makes sense, if theism is :

* the doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Theism is the belief in the existence of one or more divinities or deities. There is also a narrower sense in which theism refers to the belief that one or more divinities are immanent in the world, yet transcend it, along with the idea that divinity(s) is/are omniscient, omnipotent and ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

* belief in the existence of one or more deities; belief in the existence of a personal creator God, especially by or through revelation (i.e, with no evidence other than faith or introspection)
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/theism

* The belief that there is a God or gods.
www.fitzwimarc.org.uk/glossary/t.htm

* holds that God exists realistically, objectively, and independently of human thought; that God created and sustains everything; that God is ...
larrycorrell.brinkster.net/theologicaldictionary/references.aspx

* A philosophical system which accepts a transcendent and personal God who not only created but also preserves and governs the world, the ...
www.stsams.org/dictionary.html

* the idea that there is a supreme God (or Goddess) who generates or creates the cosmos, and who maintains it and finally destroys it. ...
www.queens.edu/undergraduate/courses/RELG349Aglossary.asp

That atheism would be:

#

# The lack of belief in a god and/or the belief that there is no god. The position held by a person or persons that 'lack belief' in god(s) and/or deny that god(s) exist.
www.carm.org/atheism/terms.htm

#

# (1) a) Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or Gods. b) The doctrine that there is no God or Gods. (2) Godlessness.
www.mind-n-magick.com/glossary/glossary.php

# Lack of belief in any god. It may or may not also include a specific belief that there is no god. From the Skeptic's Dictionary: "Atheism is traditionally defined as disbelief in the existence of God. As such, atheism involves active rejection of belief in the existence of God. ...
www.nobull.ws/dictionary.html

# a (“without”) the (“deity”, or “god”). Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods.
www.strongatheism.net/intro/lexicon/

But you're right - it may mean belief that there is no god. It sounds retarded to me, but it doesn't matter what you're talking about - when you say atheist, you mean what many atheists identify as strong atheists. Since I lack a theism, I still coun't myself an atheist. ;) Kapeesh?

Granite

Hall of Fame
When something lacks evidence and you're asked to take a leap of unsupported faith to bolster your belief, usually there's a con involved.

eveningsky339

When something lacks evidence and you're asked to take a leap of unsupported faith to bolster your belief, usually there's a con involved.

There is evidence for God, but not in science. God exists outside of the physical universe and therefore cannot be detected by science. Because this is an age focused on science, people are under the misunderstanding that since science cannot detect God, God must not exist.

If a scientist seeks to use science to study or even detect God, it would be akin to using Calculus to study the poetry of Emily Dickens.

Granite

Hall of Fame
There is evidence for God, but not in science. God exists outside of the physical universe and therefore cannot be detected by science. Because this is an age focused on science, people are under the misunderstanding that since science cannot detect God, God must not exist.

If a scientist seeks to use science to study or even detect God, it would be akin to using Calculus to study the poetry of Emily Dickens.

This kind of ignorance may warm your heart and provide you a kind of stunted peace but it's no alternative to using your mind.

eveningsky339

This kind of ignorance may warm your heart and provide you a kind of stunted peace but it's no alternative to using your mind.

Unless God is made of matter I'm afraid science isn't going to be of much help. Unless of course, science has managed to extend itself into the supernatural.

icilian fenner

I agree that if this is their assumption, they are definately in error. however I think it's likely that many follow the attitude that since there is nothing that they consider to be reliable or persuasive evidence for God, then there is no reason to believe in what there is no reliable evidence for.

I, for example, do not take arguments from faith to be reliable, since faith is simply evidence of belief that one ought to believe. That may be a clumsy way of putting it..

fool

Hall of Fame
That's why we're told to have faith.

The Jews didn't need faith, Yaweh cruised around with them and lived in a tent, Moses saw him face to face, or something, if the story is taken at face value.

Aurora3

For all the athiests: What would it take for you to believe there is a God? If you witnessed any of the miracles in the Bible - would you believe?

PyramidHead

sup dudes how about you prove these negatives for me:

-prove god doesn't exist
-prove god doesn't have a big ol' gray beard
-prove i'm wearing underpants

Rabbet

How can those of you who say God does not exist, prove the non existence of our Lord Almighty God.
Why do we need to prove God doesn't exist? A person who doesn't believe in God bears no burden of proof. Expressing a lack of belief in something is not a positive assertion that requires proof. On the contrary, it is the believer in God who bears the burden of proof, for it is that person who makes the positive claim that God exists. The non-believer simply says "I don't believe you."

Rabbet

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Why do we need to prove God doesn't exist? A person who doesn't believe in God bears no burden of proof. Expressing a lack of belief in something is not a positive assertion that requires proof. On the contrary, it is the believer in God who bears the burden of proof, for it is that person who makes the positive claim that God exists. The non-believer simply says "I don't believe you."

Rabbet
Why would the burden of proof lie upon me? Am I God?

If anything, it [God's non-existence] is something you need to prove to yourself before you can be so sure that He does not exist.

Quincy

We don't need to. The burden of proof is always on the plaintiff to prove what they are proposing. All we have to do is disagree and create a shadow of a doubt.

Quincy

Why would the burden of proof lie upon me? Am I God?

If anything, it [God's non-existence] is something you need to prove to yourself before you can be so sure that He does not exist.

Do you really believe that everyone believed in God at some point? That is the only way you can put burden on us, you are the one with the secret knowledge and presumed fact to those of us that never believed. Some of us never believed in your god so why do we need to prove anything?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
We don't need to. The burden of proof is always on the plaintiff to prove what they are proposing. All we have to do is disagree and create a shadow of a doubt.
What makes you think we're the plaintiff? You're the one bringing charges against us.

Do you really believe that everyone believed in God at some point? That is the only way you can put burden on us, you are the one with the secret knowledge and presumed fact to those of us that never believed. Some of us never believed in your god so why do we need to prove anything?
:squint:

Status
Not open for further replies.