TOL Survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by godrulz

Is Miller a genuine Christian?

He claims to be an assistant pastor of a methodist church.

It is sometimes hard to tell who is and is not a Christian. Those who clearly are not, must be warned with all urgency and persuasion.

Maybe it's because he is a methodist, or maybe it's because he takes (and believes) classes like "homosexual theology" and "feminist theology" that maks his views so wacky... : shrugs : He sounds more like a buddhist to me, maybe he just missed his calling?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Originally posted by Knight

Ouch! :D

Just kiddin', boss! :eek:

:bow:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Wesley was evangelical. Methodists are not common in Canada. They merged with Presbyterians and became a liberal, dying denomination in Canada (United Church). U.S. Methodists may be nominal or evangelical. Liberal theology would be problematic and contrary to biblical teaching.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Liberal theology would be problematic and contrary to biblical teaching.

Would be? From what I have seen him post, I'd say it definatly is.

Chileice

:shocked:

OK. Maybe I do not want to play traditional Survivor (looking out for #1). I am thinking more of who is a positive and who is a negative influence here. Who would we want to lead us, who would we want on our team, who does more harm than good in the cause of truth?

By this definition, the most negative person is Gerald. He might oppose eating his own dinner just for spite. But in a weird way he is almost like the resident Eeyore. Almost SOOO negative he's likeable. The guy who most annoys me is lighthouse because he has to comment on nearly everything even when it is obvious he is completely clueless. I know it is a trait of youth but I think I'd vote him off first. But that's only in the game of TOL Survivor. I don't really want him to leave TOL, I just hope he grows up.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Originally posted by Chileice

By this definition, the most negative person is Gerald. He might oppose eating his own dinner just for spite. But in a weird way he is almost like the resident Eeyore. Almost SOOO negative he's likeable. The guy who most annoys me is lighthouse because he has to comment on nearly everything even when it is obvious he is completely clueless. I know it is a trait of youth but I think I'd vote him off first. But that's only in the game of TOL Survivor. I don't really want him to leave TOL, I just hope he grows up.

I thought the point was

I am thinking more of who is a positive and who is a negative influence here. Who would we want to lead us, who would we want on our team, who does more harm than good in the cause of truth?

If I had a family member who wasn't saved, I'd be way more afraid of the negative influence and the harm to the cause of truth from passive Christians than Gerald's influence on them. Gerald's just a pest and tends to hang himself with his own words. Ones who call themselves Christians and tell others that they have no need of repenting of their sins before Christ in order to be saved are way more of a threat.

elohiym

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Originally posted by Poly

Ones who call themselves Christians and tell others that they have no need of repenting of their sins before Christ in order to be saved are way more of a threat.
Clarify. What exactly do you mean "repenting of their sins before Christ"? Do you expect them to modify their behavior in order to be saved?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Originally posted by elohiym

Clarify. What exactly do you mean "repenting of their sins before Christ"? Do you expect them to modify their behavior in order to be saved?

Repent of their sins= Recognizing the sin in their life and that because of it they must be reconciled to God and that nothing they can do is good enough for reconciliation, simply Christ and his sacrifice alone.

This is the only "behavior modification" that really matters.

elohiym

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Repent of their sins= Recognizing the sin in their life and that because of it they must be reconciled to God and that nothing they can do is good enough for reconciliation, simply Christ and his sacrifice alone.

This is the only "behavior modification" that really matters.
Can you give me an example of the "behavior modification" that really matters?

Say, I sin because of mental adultery, and I can't stop, mostly because God created me with all this testosterone. What do I need to do to repent? Break it down for me.

I hope your response can then be applied to any sin we can name.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Can you give me an example of the "behavior modification" that really matters?

Say, I sin because of mental adultery, and I can't stop, mostly because God created me with all this testosterone. What do I need to do to repent? Break it down for me.

I hope your response can then be applied to any sin we can name.

Once one has repented and accepted Christ as his Savior then the reconciliation is solid no matter what. Christ's atonement covers all sins.

Now what a Christian can or should do in order to help him to overcome problems with the flesh causing harm in this life is another story.

elohiym

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Once one has repented and accepted Christ as his Savior then the reconciliation is solid no matter what. Christ's atonement covers all sins.
Wait a minute... repented AND accepted Christ? Sorry to split hairs, but aren't they the same thing? If not, can you distinguish repentance from accepting Christ please?

Also, do you believe that accepting Chrit is a moral choice?

Now what a Christian can or should do in order to help him to overcome problems with the flesh causing harm in this life is another story.
I agree that we should help others, but I sense that we all differ in our interpretation of the word "help". That aside, how do explain John stating that those who hate their brother are in darkness EVEN if they claim to be in the light. How can someone that supposedly repented and accepted Christ still be in Christ if they still hate their brother?

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by Nineveh

He claims to be an assistant pastor of a methodist church.

Maybe it's because he is a methodist, or maybe it's because he takes (and believes) classes like "homosexual theology" and "feminist theology" that maks his views so wacky... : shrugs : He sounds more like a buddhist to me, maybe he just missed his calling?

You're just worried that heavan may not be the exclusive
club you envision.

While you're worrying about who's in and who's out,
I'm enjoying living in the Kingdom here and now.

I'm not an assistant pastor, I'm not ordained by any means.
I assist in worship yes, I help serve communion, I play guitar,
I lead prayers and on rare occasion I preach.

Right now I'm teaching a Lenten Meditation adult Sunday School
class.

I volunteer chaplain at a homeless mens addiction recovery
mission downtown also.

But anyway, I'm flattered for having been considered...

Dave

Ecumenicist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Wait a minute... repented AND accepted Christ? Sorry to split hairs, but aren't they the same thing? If not, can you distinguish repentance from accepting Christ please?

Also, do you believe that accepting Chrit is a moral choice?

I agree that we should help others, but I sense that we all differ in our interpretation of the word "help". That aside, how do explain John stating that those who hate their brother are in darkness EVEN if they claim to be in the light. How can someone that supposedly repented and accepted Christ still be in Christ if they still hate their brother?

Hate == Love == Hate in this bizarro world of TOL, that's how.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dave Miller

You're just worried that heavan may not be the exclusive
club you envision.

I'm not worried about those who accept Christ. It's the ones who reject Christ I hope for.

While you're worrying about who's in and who's out, I'm enjoying living in the Kingdom here and now.

I know, you don't really care who is lost, as long as they are comfy.

I'm not an assistant pastor, I'm not ordained by any means. I assist in worship yes, I help serve communion, I play guitar, I lead prayers and on rare occasion I preach. Right now I'm teaching a Lenten Meditation adult Sunday School class.

I'm sorry.

I volunteer chaplain at a homeless mens addiction recovery mission downtown also.

Good for you :)

But anyway, I'm flattered for having been considered...

You are always at the top of my "wish to be gone" list :)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The repentance and accepting of Christ goes hand in hand. You knew I meant that before you ever asked your silly question. If a person shoplifts he's done one act that can be described as shoplifting and committing a crime. They cannot be seperated.

I think you're purposely being confusing. You remind me of a sassy child who, after disobeying his parent is told to go to his room. He goes in the room for one second and walks right back out claiming that he did exactly as he was told but knowing full well that the parent meant to stay in the room.

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by Nineveh

I'm not worried about those who accept Christ. It's the ones who reject Christ I hope for.

Hey, me too!

I know, you don't really care who is lost, as long as they are comfy.

Sure I care, I just share the message as one of Hope rather
than as a threat. Honey works better than vinegar for
attracting souls to the Lord.

You are always at the top of my "wish to be gone" list :)

As long as I'm bugging you, I must be on the right track ;)

Dave

Ecumenicist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TOL Survivor

The repentance and accepting of Christ goes hand in hand. You knew I meant that before you ever asked your silly question. If a person shoplifts he's done one act that can be described as shoplifting and committing a crime. They cannot be seperated.

I think you're purposely being confusing. You remind me of a sassy child who, after disobeying his parent is told to go to his room. He goes in the room for one second and walks right back out claiming that he did exactly as he was told but knowing full well that the parent meant to stay in the room.

Let the spankings begin!

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dave Miller

Sure I care, I just share the message as one of Hope rather
than as a threat. Honey works better than vinegar for
attracting souls to the Lord.

Rather, you are embarrased of half the Gospel. You opt for being comfy in sin rather than repenting of it.

As long as I'm bugging you, I must be on the right track ;)

You don't "bug" me. Every post I read from you makes me pity you more.

Mr. 5020

The only two I would vote off as being harmful to the defense of the faith would be:

• Dave Miller
  • Lighthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.