toldailytopic: Afganistan. If you were president what would you do about Afganistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 16th, 2009 11:53 AM

toldailytopic: Afganistan. If you were president what would you do about Afganistan? Pull out? Send more troops? Or some other strategy?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Son of Jack

I think the time has come to pull out. It is getting close to a decade, and the Afghani government still isn't ready for us to leave.

The only question that bothers me is whether or not the Taliban will come right back in and take back over. If that happens, then our time and, more importantly, the lives of our troops were given in vain.

Last edited:

DocJohnson

Frankly, we've acheived our goal in Afghanistan. That goal was to eliminate the terrorist training camps and chase the tyrannical Taliban out of the country.

As far as unifying the country under one government... it's never gonna happen.

Time for my brothers to come home.

DocJohnson

The only question bothers me is whether or not the Taliban will come right back in and take back over.

I don't think the Afghan people will allow that to happen a second time. They were fooled once. They won't be fooled twice. The independent tribes enjoy their freedom too much.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Frankly, we've acheived our goal in Afghanistan. That goal was to eliminate the terrorist training camps and chase the tyrannical Taliban out of the country.

As far as unifying the country under one government... it's never gonna happen.

Time for my brothers to come home.
Yet, what if you leave the country so unstable it becomes an even greater threat to our own safety within a year or so?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Yet, what if you leave the country so unstable it becomes an even greater threat to our own safety within a year or so?

Which I think leaves us with two choices. Pull out completely and suffer the consequences or take over completely and suffer the consequences of that.

Seriously, what have the Afghan people been doing all this time? Surely they knew we were going to leave eventually. Then what? I don't claim to have more than a basic understanding of the situation over there but this was more or less their golden opportunity to get their heads out of their butts. If they've failed to do that, then leaves us with the question of just to what extent that's our problem.

I can't help but think we'll have to pull out, let things go to hell over there again and come back to stomp on everyone's heads some more. I can't see anything else to do.

Which, really, is why I don't run for president.

The Berean

Which I think leaves us with two choices. Pull out completely and suffer the consequences or take over completely and suffer the consequences of that.

Seriously, what have the Afghan people been doing all this time? Surely they knew we were going to leave eventually. Then what? I don't claim to have more than a basic understanding of the situation over there but this was more or less their golden opportunity to get their heads out of their butts. If they've failed to do that, then leaves us with the question of just to what extent that's our problem.

I can't help but think we'll have to pull out, let things go to hell over there again and come back to stomp on everyone's heads some more. I can't see anything else to do.

Which, really, is why I don't run for president.
I think you should. Then, we can call you the Stomper President. :D

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I would find out everything I could about the war. As of right now I know very little.

elohiym

Pull out our ground troops. Eradicate the poppy fields and maintain a policy of poppy eradication.

Then...

Parachute our former leaders, Bush, Cheney, Obama and Biden into Kabul. :D

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think you should. Then, we can call you the Stomper President. :D

Oh, heck. The military would love me. I'd be their most favoritest president ever.

I know a few folks around here that'd probably suffer brain embolisms after my first couple of weeks in office.

Stomper President? Pfft. I'd go down in history as the "Nuke 'Em" president. I'd probably end up strung from a streetlight somewhere on Pennsylvania Avenue but I'd put a quick end to a few nagging global problems before I went out. That'd be cool with me. :D

Seriously. Don't vote for me. :shocked:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I hate to see progress get lost and it all seem to have been in vain, but I think I would agree with those who said to pull out. It just seems like there is so much corruption and we're fighting for no reason at this point. I read an article the other day that said some of our money is going to the same people that we're fighting. If we don't pull out, we should at least scale back and change our strategy.

Zeke

Pull the troops out.

We have our own constitutional crisis building here at home we better wake up to.

Zeke.

allsmiles

All the more reason to have as many of our troops home protecting our borders, airports, sea ports, etc. and standing ready to react to whatever attacks we may face. If they hit us then we hit them back. But we don't hit them back and stay. We hit 'em back and leave. This occupation business is bogus, it has military industrial complex written all over it. The commercial interests inherent in the business of waging wars ensures that any soldier who dies for such interests will always die in vain. I think every soldier killed in Iraq and Afghanistan died in vain. I think this has been a tragedy worth being enraged over. The sooner we're disengaged from this abortion the better.

fool

Hall of Fame
Take all our guys and march thru Iran Like Sherman thru Atlanta then get on our boats and go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.