toldailytopic: Afganistan. If you were president what would you do about Afganistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Jack

Since when did you start loving slavery?? :squint:

;)

:D

PS - Anyone who insists that slavery wasn't the key issue of the Civil War is a fool. People can say "state rights" all they want. What is it the state wanted the right to determine? That's right...whether or not they would engage in a slave economy.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programing...:e4e:

allsmiles

Well, yeah...but his strategy worked to destroy the morale of the South.

I think the Iranian people have had their morale abused enough by their own regime. They need our support, our soft influence which is far more powerful than our military. They need their morale boosted.

Son of Jack

I think the Iranian people have had their morale abused enough by their own regime. They need our support, our soft influence which is far more powerful than our military. They need their morale boosted.

I actually agree with you. Several months ago, we were this close to seeing a change come by way of democracy. Though I wonder how powerful our soft influence really is...it hasn't done much to bring about human rights changes in China.:idunno:

allsmiles

I actually agree with you. Several months ago, we were this close to seeing a change come by way of democracy. Though I wonder how powerful our soft influence really is...it hasn't done much to bring about human rights changes in China.:idunno:

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to change the state of affairs in China. Besides, we have plenty of abuses going on here in our own country. The idea that we should be the world's military police and the world's morality police is laughable... to me at least :crackup:

And I wouldn't worry about our soft influence. The Iranian people saw us vote for change and they wanted it too. That's a big deal.

Son of Jack

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to change the state of affairs in China. Besides, we have plenty of abuses going on here in our own country. The idea that we should be the world's military police and the world's morality police is laughable... to me at least :crackup:

Again, I don't totally disagree. However, who should be the world's morality police, if not us?

Son of Jack

why should there be anyone to take that upon themselves?

Indeed. We don't live on a planet with a one world government. We live on a planet with some countries that should mind their own business more often than not.

Well, I think Edmund Burke was right when he said, "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

The world needs some sort of moral compass, does it not?

allsmiles

Well, I think Edmund Burke was right when he said, "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

No, it doesn't. The last thing we need is another tyrant deciding that might makes right, especially one on a global level. Are you mad sir?

;)

Son of Jack

No, it doesn't. The last thing we need is another tyrant deciding that might makes right, especially one on a global level. Are you mad sir?

;)

Perhaps...:reals:

Do you really expect the countries of the world to go about behaving themselves without someone else looking at what they're doing and questioning whether it is right and good?

allsmiles

Do you really expect the countries of the world to go about behaving themselves without someone else looking at what they're doing and questioning whether it is right and good?

The inability of a country to behave itself is only a problem if it's lack of self-control harms us directly. It's more important to me that we have no tyrants in this country. I believe we're long past that point, but I think it's a decent principle to go by. If we can't rid our own country of despots why should we police the world? Because of our might? Might doesn't make right ever and absolute power corrupts absolutely. A global policeman is the greatest embodiment of what it was designed to defeat.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

The world needs a moral compass. I just don't think any country is capable of serving that role. And based on what I've seen of our actions in foreign lands, we are not capable. We are selective in who we go after and who we let go, and it's based on what benefits us the most. We are not a moral compass. We are self-serving with a facade of morality.

However, I agree with that quote.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Do you think we behave ourselves? If so, how did we get this way? Did someone look after us? Or are we just special?

It would seem that economic prosperity brings better behavior (I stop short of saying good behavior). If we want countries to behave, perhaps we should help them economically and not militarily.

drbrumley

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 16th, 2009 11:53 AM

toldailytopic: Afganistan. If you were president what would you do about Afganistan? Pull out? Send more troops? Or some other strategy?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Just who are we fighting over there anyway?

lowerlevel

...or build a pipeline.
which is possibly another reason we were so excited to oust the Taliban from Afg. in the first place.
But I am too impressed with Bush to believe Oil drove everything he did.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Oh, heck. The military would love me. I'd be their most favoritest president ever.

I know a few folks around here that'd probably suffer brain embolisms after my first couple of weeks in office.

Stomper President? Pfft. I'd go down in history as the "Nuke 'Em" president. I'd probably end up strung from a streetlight somewhere on Pennsylvania Avenue but I'd put a quick end to a few nagging global problems before I went out. That'd be cool with me. :D

Seriously. Don't vote for me. :shocked:

:think:

Last edited:

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
We should be completely committed to Afghanistan. I’m not personally into country building and thought originally that we should have gone in, kicked butt and then left—however, since we didn’t, we now have obligations to the people who have trusted us over there, as well as the need to save face against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

One last thing—even though I believe this—if the President doesn’t really want to win over there, then we need to pull our troops out. If we aren’t there to win—which we should be—then I don’t want anymore of our troops to die in a half hearted attempt to look like he is trying to win the war when he really isn’t.

P8ntrDan

Pull our troops out, but keep a tight watch on em.

We've pissed some people off royally, and retaliation wouldn't surprise me.

I think for once, separation of church and state might be a good idea, as a religion as intolerant and violent as Islam should never be in control of a country.

Click
Insert rant
and/or
OT verse
you don't
understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.