toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracked

IMO this is where Jazz musicianship is clearly superior to Rock. Moon was one "rock drummer'' exception tho nowhere near the best.
Virtually every great 'rock' drummer's name that is thrown around had jazz training, virtually all of them!! Mitchell, Baker, Hiseman, Peart, Gadd, Bruford, Palmer, Phillips, etc, etc, etc,....

This is one area in my opinion that is beyond debate...

Lol...
I think you'd find that many would debate this with you. Keith Moon is widely considered the best drummer to have lived.

Four O'Clock

Lol...
I think you'd find that many would debate this with you. Keith Moon is widely considered the best drummer to have lived.

No, Keith Moon is considered (not widely) but by many people to be the #1 drummer, and I'll bet 99% of them are rock & roll fans almost exclusively. He is a super talent tho, I agree with you.
John Bonham is a real talent as well.

1) Jazz drummers dominate Rock drummers virtually down the line.
2) The best Rock drummers are virtually all jazz trained.
This is one of the few areas in which I can't be subjective.

Take a jazz drummer like Billy Cobham for example. He goes from accoustic jazz & straight bop and in the early 70's dives into jazz/rock fusion. Have you heard anything from him?
In his first solo album he picks up Tommy Bolin on lead guitar, who I'm sure you've heard of, along with Jan Hammer on keys and Leland Sklar on bass. Download the album "Spectrum" and listen to "Quadrant IV" & "Status". This stuff makes ordinary rock musicians in general and rock drummers in particular drool...

I have nothing against rock music, I still love the classic stuff and a few of the new acts. Many instrumentalists in the genre can hold their own or surpass virtually anyone around (except the drummers :wave2:) Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Cracked.

P.S. have you ever listened to Steve Gadd's drumming on the Steely Dan song "Aja"?..............:D

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I've read that Miles once said he could put together "the world's baddest rock band".

Thus saying, he spake the truth.

Miles1973band.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.