toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 4th, 2009 10:34 AM

toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

DocJohnson

Queen was a band that sounded completely different with each song they did. Most bands sound exactly the same, just different lyrics, but Queen ranged in musical style from one end of the spectrum to the other. Freddie Mercury's vocals and Brian May's guitar riffs are unmatched. That makes them unique and, by far, the best band of all time in my book.

Ultimate Queen Montage

Jackson

Pink Floyd by far is the best rock band of all time.
1965-2005 40 years of incredible music. And the best guitarist ever! :guitar:

The Graphite

ELO and queen... Oy! Y'all would get along great with my wife. LOL

But I'd have to say.... Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit. After all, they have such broad, universal appeal. I mean, who doesn't know the words to at least 50 of their songs? They are an intercontinental classic!

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Before I answer, are sub-genres of rock included? I ask because I prefer industrial, gothic and symphonic metal to what would be classically referred to as "rock."

Sozo again

Clearly and without question the greatest rock band of all-time is....

Electric Light Orchestra

These guys were so under rated and their music is still as good today as it was then.

I think that ELO has created more good songs and music, than any other band in history, I have to also consider musicianship and artistic style.

I am torn between ELO and Genesis (Peter Gabriel era only). Genesis was clearly the better in concert, but I listen to ELO more than any other band.

:think: :idunno:

Genesis - Musical Box

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Before I answer, are sub-genres of rock included? I ask because I prefer industrial, gothic and symphonic metal to what would be classically referred to as "rock."
I think it would be a bit more fun if we stuck with bands that at least have some wide appeal and are known. If we pick out our own obscure favorites we will be sorta missing the point of this thread.

Maybe in the future we will do another battle of the bands but open it up to "diamonds in the rough".

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
These guys were HUGE in the UK, but never received their due here in the states. Still, they are one of the best bands of all time.

The Jam

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I think it would be a bit more fun if we stuck with bands that at least have some wide appeal and are known. If we pick out our own obscure favorites we will be sorta missing the point of this thread.

Maybe in the future we will do another battle of the bands but open it up to "diamonds in the rough".

Cool, Though I have to say I've never heard of ELO. :p

Granite

Hall of Fame
Of all time? Well...

Best in what sense? In turns of over the top stage performance, Queen and KISS were probably best at that...

In terms of quality of songs written? Arguably the Beatles...

Although in terms of live performance, I'd say the Stones and Led Zep probably rate among the best of all time--although Blue Cheer and Cream put on a heck of a show, too...

It's an impossibility to pick one all-time best of rock and roll band. The genre's too diverse to crown one group king of them all.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've never been a big Rolling Stones fans. I'm not sure why but they always struck me as "posers".

Well Keith's being playing the same lick for decades and Mick's gotten more and more ridiculous over the years, that's for sure. I'm not crazy about their newer stuff but Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Steel Wheels, and Exile on Main Street are great, gritty rock and roll records.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Queen was a band that sounded completely different with each song they did. Most bands sound exactly the same, just different lyrics, but Queen ranged in musical style from one end of the spectrum to the other. Freddie Mercury's vocals and Brian May's guitar riffs are unmatched. That makes them unique and, by far, the best band of all time in my book.

That's funny, because I thought the thread was about rock bands. As in Rock n' Roll. Music that is good for rocking out. Music that is rock music. Music played for the intention of rocking.

But Queen, really? :nono: That's not rock music! It is literally gay music.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's funny, because I thought the thread was about rock bands. As in Rock n' Roll. Music that is good for rocking out. Music that is rock music. Music played for the intention of rocking.

But Queen, really? :nono: That's not rock music! It is literally gay music.

What? Listen to "Tie Your Mother Down" (one of rock's great riffs) or "Stone Cold Crazy," man!

Status
Not open for further replies.