toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnson

But Queen, really? That's not rock music!

Like I said, they have styles that range from one end of the spectrum (pop) to the other (heavy metal).

Some of their heaviest songs include:

Gimme the Prize (The Highlander)
One Vision (Iron Eagle)
Innuendo
The Hitman
The Show Must Go On

Zeke

Old school, steppenwolf, credence clearwater, canned heat, ten years after, ect.......

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I thought it was... "In your end oh". :flamer:

LOL !

Horrible.

Funny... but horrible. :D

I'll go with Rolling Stones. They are huge. Lasted forever, household name around the world. Pretty tough to make a case against them.

I like almost every song I've heard from them.

On my personal list, Aerosmith and AC/DC would come before them, and are also huge rock bands, but I think RS would win of those three in a general popularity contest.

So there you have it.

zoo22

The Clash

The Clash - I Fought the Law

DIY. Explosive energy. Social conscience. Style. Charisma. Anger. Experimentation. Stage presence. Fusing music. Taking the anger and energy of punk but turning from the nihilism, giving punk a conscience and a call to action. Riffs. Emotion. Graphics/Imagery. Involvement. Their influence on music and bands to come... Their rally cry.

Joe Strummer RIP.

Four O'Clock

Of all time? Well...

Although Blue Cheer and Cream put on a heck of a show, too...

Blue Cheer was just Cream with sub-par musicianship (Tho they were loud)

I agree it's to hard to nail down.
Cream was always my favorite (don't forget how they got their name :D) They weren't really ''rock'' in the truest sense, a bit of rock/blues/jazz/progressive but their long live jams with that "rollin' & tumbling'' sound as one critic put it has NEVER been duplicated. They were all sort of soloing at the same time but actually no one was soloing!
Arguably the Beatles...Stones, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who...as far as rock and progressive rock go the English just seem to whomp us Yank's tails!
My personal favs over the years:
Beatles
Early Dylan
Doors
Cream
Rolling Stones
Chicago/Blood, Sweat, & Tears (their 2nd album could be my all-time favorite, not one note out of place IMO)
Neil Young
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson, what a musician AND SHOWMAN!)
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Steely Dan (if you don't like them, you don't like music)
Van Morrison (for many, many years) etc...

Jazz has always been my favorite tho, that's why I always liked the "rockers" that expanded into jazz or fusion in the early-mid 70's, Santana, Beck, Steely Dan, Soft Machine, Gary Moore, etc...

Now I'm finding myself more and more listening to a growing classical collection (Baroque (Bach/Handel/etc..) & Impressionism (Debussy, etc...) being my favorite genres along with Gregorian Chants, Enya, Japanese Flute/Harp....soothing stuff.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I thought it was... "In your end oh". :flamer:
You better be careful or webmaster might ban you again.

As for the best rock band, it depends on how broadly you define rock. I can keep it to bands everyone has heard of, but rock is a genre that spans genres.

Status
Not open for further replies.