toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a tangent. A great rock song, and a great commercial. Together, arguably the best automotive commercial there was. I can't say it was influential, but it certainly fanned flames that were already there.

Down with Ken

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Barring all the obscure music I listen to, when I think I think best rock of all time, I think of 2 individuals, not bands.

Jimi Hendrix and Johnny Cash.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
∅2L84U;2212186 said:
That just swung the scales big time.

My answer is now ELO.

I played the video Knight posted, it was beyond dreadful. And I normally like music that involved bowed strings.

TeeJay

Who can deny?

Who can deny?

One hundred years from now, the bands you all mentioned will not be in the colllective memory of America.

Heaven and earth may pass away, but Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians will be playing on New Years Eve.

Tom from Mabank, TX

Arthur Brain

Talkin' about metal specifically in that post - these are the best metal bands of all time.

I place Zep/Floyd/Who in a different category, though they did influence metal. Pink Floyd and the Who are probably my favorite bands of all time.

Floyd and Zep IMO lead the field in 'old school accessible' rock because they weren't afraid to push the boundaries of established music in the genre. Frank Zappa also comes to mind in that regard.

Four O'Clock

Peart is good, but Moon was better - the best actually.

IMO this is where Jazz musicianship is clearly superior to Rock. Moon was one "rock drummer'' exception tho nowhere near the best.
Virtually every great 'rock' drummer's name that is thrown around had jazz training, virtually all of them!! Mitchell, Baker, Hiseman, Peart, Gadd, Bruford, Palmer, Phillips, etc, etc, etc,....

This is one area in my opinion that is beyond debate...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
IMO this is where Jazz musicianship is clearly superior to Rock. Moon was one "rock drummer'' exception tho nowhere near the best.
Virtually every great 'rock' drummer's name that is thrown around had jazz training, virtually all of them!! Mitchell, Baker, Hiseman, Peart, Gadd, Bruford, Palmer, Phillips, etc, etc, etc,....

This is one area in my opinion that is beyond debate...

Copeland is a wonderfully experimental drummer. Collins work with Brand X in jazz fusion and his early Genesis drumming put him in rare company, to my mind. And has anyone mentioned Peter Erskine yet? A great drummer and an interesting fellow to have a conversation with about theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.