toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuySmiley

Wow Vaquero, Aerosmith and AC/DC came to mind for me too. And neither of them are really in my personal top 10 list, but I like them. But to argue for best rock band, I have to branch out from my personal top 10 and get something with some universal appeal. ELO? Queen? Ugh. Rolling Stones I can see.

Four O'Clock

The best band of all time, in my view, is YES.

Tho I've always found Emerson, Lake, & Palmer the clear better choice, I've went back and gotten The Yes Album and Close to the Edge recently. CTTE is, clearly, one of the best prog-rock works of all-time IMO. A true work of art.
Can you believe this? In March of 71 my good bud and I went downtown here in Indy and for $6 we had a 3-band lineup to die for at the Tyndal Armory. 1st up? Black Sabbath...they cancelled (who cares, they always seemed to do that at the time and even back then, I liked the heavy sound, but hated that whiney singer...go figure)
So, we opened with YES, right as The Yes Album was released and they opened with Yours Is No Discrase, great set...and the headliners?
Jethro Tull, right as Aqualung was being released so they played alot of Stand Up/Benefit as well...one of THE best shows I've ever seen. Ian Anderson's performance was worth, at least, 10x the price of admission even then.
My $0.02

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
My favorite bands of all time are Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, and Metallica. I'm not sure why, other than they just rock.

Tried to send you Iron Maiden rep, but have to spread it around first. :) They'd be in my top 5 favorites. (the old stuff mostly)

I like Metallica a lot too, Pink Floyd comes off too dark for me, I do like some songs tho. :)

Cracked

My favorite bands of all time are Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, and Metallica. I'm not sure why, other than they just rock.

I have to admit I love these bands. I'm kind of an old school metalhead.
so:
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
and of course the band with the greatest front man in metal -
Motorhead

Four O'Clock

I have to admit I love these bands. I'm kind of an old school metalhead.
so:
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
and of course the band with the greatest front man in metal -
Motorhead

My gosh, you youngsters! IMHO total heavy metal horse-poo! I've heard that the great bassist, Les Claypool, auditioned for Metalica only to be jettisioned because he was TOO good.

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath???? better than Floyd/Zep/Who, etc...as rock goes, are you all collectively braindead?
:confused:

Cracked

My gosh, you youngsters! IMHO total heavy metal horse-poo! I've heard that the great bassist, Les Claypool, auditioned for Metalica only to be jettisioned because he was TOO good.

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath???? better than Floyd/Zep/Who, etc...as rock goes, are you all collectively braindead?
:confused:

Talkin' about metal specifically in that post - these are the best metal bands of all time.

I place Zep/Floyd/Who in a different category, though they did influence metal. Pink Floyd and the Who are probably my favorite bands of all time.

Andy Curry

My favorite band of all time would be Avenged Sevenfold lol even got the logo tattooed on me but the best band of all time would either be Zeppelin or Metallica.

Status
Not open for further replies.