toldailytopic: Battle of the bands. Who is the best rock band of all time and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
My gosh, you youngsters! IMHO total heavy metal horse-poo! I've heard that the great bassist, Les Claypool, auditioned for Metalica only to be jettisioned because he was TOO good.

Les Claypool's talent would be wasted in a band that uses bass like Metallica does. Be glad they didnt pick him. They DID pick Rob Trujillo, which is also a waste of talent at bass, (see his work in Infectious Grooves if you doubt me) but maybe a bit less than Claypool would have been. :)

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath???? better than Floyd/Zep/Who, etc...

Easily, on all counts. (Especially Priest and Maiden)

as rock goes, are you all collectively braindead?
:confused:

As far as "rock" goes, I picked Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and/or AC/DC. (all three of which are also better than floyd/zep/who)

LOL

Shirley I stepped on some toes this time. :D

zoo22

My gosh, you youngsters! IMHO total heavy metal horse-poo! I've heard that the great bassist, Les Claypool, auditioned for Metalica only to be jettisioned because he was TOO good.

There seems to be an element here that considers that the greatest rock bands would include technically great musicians. I just don't think that way.

For example, I'd say that The Ramones are arguably one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Obviously, their musicianship is no match for bands like Yes or Pink Floyd or Prog Rock bands that much of Punk was answering to. I was hard pressed to place The Clash above The Ramones, but it just came down to my personal listening, and my own history... The Clash are my favorite band. But I definitely consider that The Ramones could be the greatest Rock band of all time.

Zeke

They all pawned their instruments after they heard the original Lynyrd Skynrd band play, can't believe no one mentioned them.

One Eyed Jack

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Black Sabbath???? better than Floyd/Zep/Who, etc...as rock goes, are you all collectively braindead?
:confused:

I think Steve Harris is one of the greatest bassists of all time.

Sozo again

Queen was a band that sounded completely different with each song they did. Most bands sound exactly the same, just different lyrics, but Queen ranged in musical style from one end of the spectrum to the other. Freddie Mercury's vocals and Brian May's guitar riffs are unmatched. That makes them unique and, by far, the best band of all time in my book.

Favorite Queen Song

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The most influential and important band of all time was The Beatles and there's not even a close second.

I'll take ELO but not after A New World Record. Genesis, but not after Duke. Steely Dan, but nothing from the last decade. :upright:

The Graphite

In all seriousness, I'd have to say as far as success and long-lasting impact, the Beatles are the all-time greatest.

They aren't the most brilliant songwriters, or the most skilled musicians. And frankly, as soon as they went psychadelic, I disliked the majority of their stuff. But, clearly they have far-reaching influence on numerous genres of music, not just rock but country, folk and other styles.

We're not discussing our favorites, here. We're disgussing the "best." And I view that as being distinct from my personal favorites. Just my two cents.

Thunder's Muse

In all seriousness, I'd have to say as far as success and long-lasting impact, the Beatles are the all-time greatest.

They aren't the most brilliant songwriters, or the most skilled musicians. And frankly, as soon as they went psychadelic, I disliked the majority of their stuff. But, clearly they have far-reaching influence on numerous genres of music, not just rock but country, folk and other styles.

We're not discussing our favorites, here. We're disgussing the "best." And I view that as being distinct from my personal favorites. Just my two cents.

Who are your favourites?

I stand by my votes...Foo Fighters and Powderfinger.....:D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
While not my favorite, it really has to be Led Zeppelin. Since others have brought up influential.

I prefer Def Leppard, Van Halen, and others of their time and genre. AC/DC works at any time. Especially if you are on trial for murder. Just blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.