toldailytopic: Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
OK. But you've merely provided the negation of a true proposition, not an alternative. When you explain the possible alternative means of salvation under discussion, I'll tell you whether we could lose salvation gained by those means. Fair?

Knight knows these are real issues. What seems alternative, different, hypothetical, or foolish, to some, are in fact all that some have. It is all that some have. It is all they have. It is all they know. They don't know any better.

Some people believe that you can lose your salvation. If we can't lose salvation, if that is the truth, if that is what we believe, then it is not simply our job to simply laugh at people who believe in different things, in the alternatives. That is part of the reason for my questions. You cannot help people if you never try spending a day in their own shoes. We may never share in their feet, their body, who they are. We may never truly understand what it is like to be them. we can still try our best to do what Jesus did.

Come down to their level. Come down to where they are. Look at things from their perspective, first, before trying to encourage them to reconsider things.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joey,

We would be able to answer your question better if you spoke in plain English instead of bizarre made up words or non sequiturs. These don't make sense to other people.

Samstarrett

Knight knows these are real issues. What seems alternative, different, hypothetical, or foolish, to some, are in fact all that some have. It is all that some have. It is all they have. It is all they know. They don't know any better.

I'm not denying these are real issues; merely refraining from making a proclamation on a subject on which I am ignorant and must so remain until you clarify your hypothetical. :e4e:

Some people believe that you can lose your salvation. If we can't lose salvation, if that is the truth, if that is what we believe, then it is not simply our job to simply laugh at people who believe in different things, in the alternatives.

Agreed.

That is part of the reason for my questions. You cannot help people if you never try spending a day in their own shoes. We may never share in their feet, their body, who they are. We may never truly understand what it is like to be them. we can still try our best to do what Jesus did.

OK. Now, clarify your question and I'll answer it.

Come down to their level. Come down to where they are. Look at things from their perspective, first, before trying to encourage them to reconsider things.

I was asked for my opinion and gave it. I'll certainly hear the opinions of others if they wish to share them. :idunno:

Samstarrett

Joey,

We would be able to answer your question better if you spoke in plain English instead of in bizarre made up words or non sequiturs. These don't make sense to other people.

:sigh:

I've already chosen my SPOTD for today...

Still, :second: and a rep will be yours, Inzl.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Joey, We would be able to answer your question better if you spoke in plain English instead of bizarre made up words or non sequiturs. These don't make sense to other people.

When God asked the Question, "Adam, where are you?" Was God asking a Question? God didn't know where Adam was? God was asking questions? Am I asking questions? Why did Jesus ask questions? Why did Jesus talk in riddles, parables, & confusing things that nobody understood? Why didn't Jesus make sense at that time? Why don't I make sense at this time? Why do cool people talk in foolish wisdom riddles? Why are these kinds of people looked down upon by society?

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
:sigh:

I've already chosen my SPOTD for today...

Still, :second: and a rep will be yours, Inzl.

He gets a trophy because you want me to talk like everybody us, like a robot, a clone, with no free will, to go by the status quo, to do as directed, to walk in a strait line, to never question authority, to refrain from rebellion, to refrain from thinking outside the box, the very freedoms inherited from the true nature of God's best.

Samstarrett

When God asked the Question, "Adam, where are you?" Was God asking a Question? God didn't know where Adam was?

Please don't let's bring Lighthouse into this. :plain:

God was asking questions? Am I asking questions? Why did Jesus ask questions? Why did Jesus talk in riddles, parables, & confusing things that nobody understood?

So that seeing they might see and not perceive, and hearing they might hear and not understand, lest they might turn, and the sins might be forgiven them. Mark 4:12.

Is that what you're doing?

Why didn't Jesus make sense at that time?

He did make sense. He wasn't understood in large part because He didn't want to be.

Why don't I make sense at this time?

I don't know. Are you high?

Why do cool people talk in foolish wisdom riddles?

They don't.

Why are these kinds of people looked down upon by society?

I thought you said they were cool. :confused:

Samstarrett

He gets a trophy because you want me to talk like everybody us, like a robot, a clone, with no free will, to go by the status quo, to do as directed, to walk in a strait line, to never question authority, to refrain from rebellion, to refrain from thinking outside the box, the very freedoms inherited from the true nature of God's best.

Rather, she gets a trophy because I want you to make sense and follow logic.

EDIT: It's rather rude to say 'she' rather than Inzl, I know, and I apologize, but the point to had to be made.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why did Jesus talk in riddles, parables, & confusing things that nobody understood?

Joey,

Jesus' riddles still made sense. In fact they were brilliant parables that were lucid. Yours are black holes that swallow the mind of the person who tries to comprehend them. How is a sentence with made up words a parable? If you think you are inspired, think again.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He She gets a trophy because you want me to talk like everybody us, like a robot, a clone, with no free will, to go by the status quo, to do as directed, to walk in a strait line, to never question authority, to refrain from rebellion, to refrain from thinking outside the box, the very freedoms inherited from the true nature of God's best.

Making sense has nothing to so with being a robot, Joey. Right now you post like you have your wires crossed. Do you have mental issues?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They didn't because God put a veil over their eyes. The reason being, they rejected the truth.

2 Corinthians 3: 12-18

Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Samstarrett

Generally, people didn't understand Jesus during His ministry on earth.

Let me see if I understand the reasoning.

1. People didn't understand Jesus.
2. People don't understand Joey.
3. The value of Joey's message is therefore comparable to the value of Jesus's message.

Is that about right?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

toldailytopic: Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

A Christian does not lose their salvation every time they sin anymore than marital strife is the same as divorce.

There is a difference between a godless/Christless sinner and a Christian who has an isolated lapse of sin in one area with subsequent repentance and renewed obedience. A sin can affect one's fellowship and intimacy with God (Ps. 32; Ps. 51), but it does not sever the relationship.

Hyper-Arminian views are not held by many people. Those who run to the altar to get resaved every week need biblical assurance of their salvation.

Hyper-Calvinistic/OSAS views are the other extreme that would say one can be an unbelieving believer, Christian atheist, etc. and still be saved because OSAS. This is false assurance, a lie.

The biblical teaching is conditional eternal security: a believer (one who believes and continues to believe...faith is not a work nor is continuance in the faith a work) is eternally secure in Christ, but this does not preclude the possibility of falling away/apostasy (those who reject Christ and His work are unbelievers, whether they once believed or not).

Just as the saving power and grace of Christ/Spirit can be rejected (universalism is not true despite His perfect provision), so the keeping grace/power of the Spirit can be rejected (perseverance is not unconditional and OSAS is not true).

I Jn. 5:11-13; Heb. 6:4-6 There is no life apart from the Son. Those who are not in vital relationship with Christ/Head are not in Christ. Life is in the Son, not apart from Him. It is not inherent in us based on something in the past that is no longer reality.

The issue is determinism vs free will, not the security of believers (believers are secure Jude 24-25, but apostates are lost, like any other believer). Believers are secure, but a believer can revert to unbelief (and thus condemned Jn. 3:16 vs Jn. 3:36).

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Does a Christian lose their salvation every time they sin?

How many times does one intend to nail Jesus to the cross? I thought part of salvation was to sin no more once saved, do I have it wrong? If all sins are forgiven, then what is the point of that eternal damnation threat?

It's all rather confusing to me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Erm--don't quite agree with your choice of words at the top. :plain: But yes, not all things are profitable. Highlighted section is just a gem.

Because you are too focused on the flesh. I am not sugesting sodomy, since it is a popular topic here, is ok. In fact, people should be encouraged to quit. But for somebody in Christ, the Father does not see that sin.

He sees us through his perfect son. It doesn't matter what your flesh does, it isn't sin when you trade your life for his. Because that is what he did at the cross.

he who says he does not sin is a liar and the truth is not in him..

i belive it was St Paul who said this

I believe you are wrong about who said it and why. Don't feel bad, I was a catholic at one time and didn't know any better.

I am going to prepare a scripture proofed post, but I have other things to do right now. The post is for Inzl Kett about being in the Spirit vs the flesh. An important lesson Paul tried to teach people. I think even the motormouth gets it, when she isn't babbling on about other things.

Or maybe I can find one already prepared by Sozo, and just quote it. I like it when other people do the leg work. :p

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
__
Surrendering your life is irrelevant as pertaining to justification. That is sanctification. The Lord Jesus Christ surrendered His life 2000 years ago in your place, and God the Father accepted His life as a propitiatory sacrifice. Before justification, the LORD God would have nothing to do with your life. The biblical order is sonship first, then service/sanctification as justified sons. You are putting the proverbial cart before the horse, conditioning your justification upon your service/sanctification, " surrender my life to Christ." As a Son, He then replaces your formerly rotten, no good life, with His only Begotten Son's life-eternal life, "in Christ."
In Christ,

John W

When this happens, your flesh is still dead, and it is what we see. But God does not. He is the one that says we don't have sin, we have his righteousness. Don't focus on the flesh, focus on the fact that he settled the sin issue, and you are identified with it. Not the rotten no good things we do daily and wish we could stop.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
How many times does one intend to nail Jesus to the cross? I thought part of salvation was to sin no more once saved, do I have it wrong? If all sins are forgiven, then what is the point of that eternal damnation threat?

It's all rather confusing to me.

Universalism is not true. Some think His death is a literal payment, but it is not. Jesus died once-for-all as the perfect provision, but it must be subjectively appropriated. One must receive His free gift to be saved. Justification deals with past sin and cleans the slate. Unbelievers are not in Christ so remain condemned for rejecting His provision.

Sanctification deals with post-conversion sins. A view that makes grace a license to sin or assumes forgiveness while sin is persisted in is suspect. Future sins do not even exist to be forgiven (no need to forgive my sin of murder if I never murder anyone). There is provision for future sin, but not automatic or blanket (so some wording can be confusing and views need to be tweaked...I don't have it all perfect yet either, but we have some basic principles/parameters).

Status
Not open for further replies.