toldailytopic: Does God help some athletes more than others in sports?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 30th, 2013 08:41 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

PureX

I believe that having faith in God helps most people live better, happier, and healthier lives. So I would say that, yes, God helps athletes to be better at their sport.

Brother Vinny

I'm going to go with "No," as far as direct help is concerned. God has gifted some at birth with greater talents than others, and these talents can either be honed or neglected.

But if you're asking if God answers the prayer of the team asking for the big win on game day, then my answer is no. I don't think God even cares about artificial struggles.

Unless it's OU playing. God's a known Sooner fan.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I ever pray before a match I will pray "God save this team. May what they do and who they are glorify You."

And if that one gets answered I'll switch "save" to "bless".

After that, it's up to the players and their training.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Better athletes are helped more than inferior athletes, sure.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nope. God does not micromanage the lives of athletes. Win or lose is up to the skill, training, and conditions out on the field. Even things that look like dumb luck can be chalked up to fatigue on the part of the opposing time or even field conditions (the ball does a strange bounce off a rock).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They went to Baltimore. :chuckle:

And Miami

lebron-james-nike-lebron-x-anthracite-black-red-white.jpg

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I would say yes, because when we are close to God in that we heed instead of greiving His Spirit, we feel better and athletics certainly demand ones best.

So the person who knows Christ vs the one who doesn't acknowledge God will certainly fare better at anything they do.

I would think that a god who has the power to influence events and cares more about the performance of an athlete than that of the plight of thousands of starving or otherwise suffering human beings is contemptible and unworthy of any worship or praise.