toldailytopic: Earth Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

You do use those new whatever they are bulbs? I never use the old incandescent bulbs. One thing I do not like about the new bulbs is they do not dim well, not the 21 watt = 100, or the 14 watt = 60, they are even worse. The best one is the little bulb in a Tiffany lamp; that one dims way down. They need to work on that.

My wife and I hate the new eco-friendly bulbs. Hate.

Did I mention hate?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder if there was a Gaea Pride parade in honor of the day. :think:

Guess I should have asked kmo, given his sporting preference. :plain:

The Graphite

I wonder if there was a Gaea Pride parade in honor of the day. :think:

Guess I should have asked kmo, given his sporting preference. :plain:

No combustion engines. All floats would be pulled by rainbow-colored unicorns and pegusi. Although, admittedly the parade would be difficult to see through the thick, billowing clouds of pot smoke. :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No combustion engines. All floats would be pulled by rainbow-colored unicorns and pegusi. Although, admittedly the parade would be difficult to see through the thick, billowing clouds of pot smoke. :eek:

:think: So you're saying I should have asked ragtag? :D

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My wife and I hate the new eco-friendly bulbs. Hate.

Did I mention hate?

I got it, there are bulbs out there you hate.

I wish I could make a deal for all my incandescent bulbs, as I have been a bulb nut and most will probably get tossed when I am gone. My favourite bulbs are the little candelabra bulbs with a nice dimmer, dimmed down to a flame.

Be careful at Loews and Home Depot, soon there will be only the bulbs you hate; you do not want to go off your rocker and start breaking them.

Those new little LED bulbs, I have one which is much brighter than a 4 to 5 watt nightlight and uses a quarter watt.

Remember, as long as I am alive you will always have a bulb outlet.:crackup:

The Graphite

The power company is happy for you, if no one else.
No one else? That's not true... my wife is happy for me (she even asked about it to make sure we would) and a number of my friends are happy for me, as well. :thumb:

What's eco-friendly about mercury filled bulbs in landfills? :idunno:
Not a blessed thing. :loser:

Alate_One

If it weren't raining I would go cut down a few trees and have a fire.

So, why are so many Christians more interested in destroying creation rather than enjoying and appreciating what God has given to us?

Earth day isn't about worshiping the earth, its about appreciating and caring for what we've been blessed with . . . You know that "stewardship" thing . . . .

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You have a collection?

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.:crackup:

I have a thing for lights and dimmers. One thing I have is a box that can be programmed to turn the lights at any set time and dim then automatically. I also have programmable clocks, which act as on/off switches. I have not turned off a lamp at its switch in years.

The problem with the new bulbs is they will not work on the lamp dimmer, they need the appliance module. Another problem is they flicker using the module and sometimes it turns on the light and it can ruin them. I replaced a few with high grade in wall dimmers, they work, but the bulbs will not dim as much and one just goes off if dimming below half way. I should hate them, but I guess I put up with them because I like the savings.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:wazzup:
My first post was funny, now it is changed.

:rotfl:

Maybe it was a bit goofy?:confused:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So, why are so many Christians more interested in destroying creation rather than enjoying and appreciating what God has given to us?

Earth day isn't about worshiping the earth, its about appreciating and caring for what we've been blessed with . . . You know that "stewardship" thing . . . .

I hope you aren't being serious with that first statement. I wouldn't say Christians are interesting in destroying the earth. It is interesting, though, that Christians seem to, by and large, side with the skeptics of climate change and other critics of environmentalism. For the global warming issue I guess part of it is that Christians don't believe God would let humans have that kind of impact on the earth.

amosman

My wife and I have one car a Prius. We compost. We take our own cloth bags to the store. We buy organic whenever possible. If we had a recycling center around here we would use it. We love shopping at thrift stores. I call myself a green Republican. We do these things not because we think we are saving the planet or changing the climate, but only because we don't like to waste anything. We save a lot of money on gasoline. My garden likes the compose. Eating organic is part of my health care plan. I don't care what anyone else does as far as conserving resources. I figure if they waste their money it is just going to someone that needs the money. That is why I don't see the problem with people spending their money on whatever they wish, it just goes around and around. Just don't take my money and give to someone without me getting anything for it.

Alate_One

I hope you aren't being serious with that first statement. I wouldn't say Christians are interesting in destroying the earth.
No, but I see this kind of reaction to earth day over and over again. My stepdad feels the need to constantly "subdue the earth" by hacking on and chopping at random trees for no particular reason. He also says, its okay what we do to the earth cause its all going to get destroyed some day anyway.

The problem is, we don't know when this will happen. I want my children to enjoy the trees and the water like I have.

I can just envision Christ's return to an earth that's damaged and polluted. It reminds me of the parable of the talents. God gave us the earth, if we use it to the point where it can't support us or the rest of creation, do you think God will be pleased?

By in large those that see little to no value in conservation somehow think its impossible for humans to destroy or massively damage the earth. Except history shows us that it is very possible to make regions, people and animals very sick and unusable from our own actions.

Adam was made to work the garden, not to chop down the trees, kill the animals and make a barbecue.

It is interesting, though, that Christians seem to, by and large, side with the skeptics of climate change and other critics of environmentalism. For the global warming issue I guess part of it is that Christians don't believe God would let humans have that kind of impact on the earth.
That and a I think general distrust of science in some quarters. Even if they don't accept the evidence of climate change, the environmental movement didn't arise for the fun of it, it was due to the results of unregulated companies causing environmental damage.

fool

Hall of Fame
We borrow this planet from our children.
We're stuck with the times we live in and the survival scheme we're runnin and obveously we all can't move a ton of concrete on a herd of butterflies but being dumb on purpose is still being dumb on purpose.

Don't be dumb with your children's planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.