toldailytopic: Forgiveness. When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Along the lines of the OP, I'm curious why so many Christians equate forgiveness with not harboring bitterness (e.g.). In other words, we regularly hear that if we don't forgive, we are hanging on to bitter feelings that can harden us.

I disagree that the two ideas are synonymous.

Do you believe that one can choose to NOT forgive and at the same time, not allow bitter feelings in his heart?

I do. To me, the two things are independent of one another (though not mutually exclusive).

How do you define forgiveness?

Son of Jack

That is contrary to what the Word of God teaches. We are told TO judge!

Like others have mentioned, I was thinking of judging in the ultimate sense. I recall Peter asking Jesus how many we are to forgive, and he answered seventy times seven. Do you believe he was actually placing a limit on the number of times one is to forgive?

Thunder's Muse

I believe forgiveness to be very important. I have found great peace through forgiveness. But, I think today, with all the self help books and Guru's, the word forgiveness has been over-used. For some people, the thought of forgiving is simply too scary..to big. "Forgive him/her for that? Simply not something I am able to do." And considering what some people have had to endure, completely understandable.

I used to think that forgiving someone meant that what they did was ok. That being physically/emotionally hurt, doesn't matter. Keeping the peace was more important than myself. I tried to forgive certain people, I wrote letters to vent my feelings, meditated, prayed, punished myself, screamed, denied..nothing worked. No matter how much I said "I forgive that person", deep down, I knew it wasn't true.

In hindsight, I believe forgiveness to be a process. Sometimes, this process happens quickly and easily. We forgive, we move on. But sometimes, this process can take years. I see forgiveness as the final stage of healing. The release. However, the journey to get to that stage can be so deep and complicated, with so many issues, consequences and hurdles, that to get to the point of actually forgiving just seems such a long way off. Some people never completely get there.

So, yes. I believe forgiveness to be very important but I don't think we can always put a time limit on it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am in a crabby mood today. I have to see a psychiatrist tomorrow, just to get my Seroquel, which is for cuckoo birds, but I researched it and concluded the antihistamine effect would be sedative along with the drugs ability to reduce mental activity. I told one dumbbell psychiatrist to give it to me and since then, every physician I have seen has given it to me along with zolpidem.

I do expect them to do some thinking on their own, that is partly why I see them, for their expert opinions and if she cannot come up with any ideas, why should I see her? If that is the way it goes, I am going to tell her she is useless to me and a waste of my time.

OK, I can forgive her for being unable, or unwilling to put out the effort to help me get sleep, but I cannot forget her lack of competence. Seeing a psychiatrist just because I cannot sleep should be an easy to fix patient, if not well, forget that woman. I can get it from my GP and not have to make another trip to see another physician.

Forgive, but not forget, without malice, just disgusted.

lucy

When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

So when you forgive, it's for your own benefit? To make yourself feel all righteous inside? Is that the main purpose of forgiving others? Is that why God forgives?

No, we forgive because God forgave us. Christ gave his life to purchase our forgiveness. How can we do less? It is not to feel righteous, but if you hold on to unforgiveness, then your communion with God is hampered. You hurt yourself, you push God away, and you end up hurting others all the more by your bitterness and inability to let go.

Consider this;

The son or daughter, else the one you love just below God but above all things even yourself is taken is a malicious heinous crime.

Your world is shattered, your heart is so painfully bludgeoned by the experience that there seems to be nothing of worth in this life any longer. One can barely cry for the breath is stifled in the chest.

The thought is not about retribution, nor justice, for one is known by God and knows of God.

How that it is not in man to direct their own steps, that it is God, according to His plan of purpose and time. That none can make crooked those things God made strait, and none can make strait those things God made crooked.

Where comes forgiveness? From the heart that is desperately wicked from the womb? Can a heart such as this forgive or even ask forgiveness?

Where does forgiveness come from?

Does it come from the New heart and the new spirit that God puts into one? If so, then where does that forgiveness come from? God or man?

Does it come from an heart sown in corruption that goes to the grave to see corruption and to never rise again?

Man has the ability to forgive, yet if the act that created the situation for the need of forgiveness is still remembered, and causes ceaseless pain and sorrow, has one truly forgiven the transgressor? If so, then how can the act be remembered without forgiveness also? Must the act as well be forgiven?

We can say to the crime; "It is God's will."

We can say to the criminal; "You are moved according to God's will."

We can say all is forgiven.

Do we have to like it?

NO. and even if we don't forgive, does that stand in the way of salvation?

NO.

Romans 8
38.) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39.) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So where does forgiveness really come from, do you see?

peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Consider this;

The son or daughter, else the one you love just below God but above all things even yourself is taken is a malicious heinous crime.

Your world is shattered, your heart is so painfully bludgeoned by the experience that there seems to be nothing of worth in this life any longer. One can barely cry for the breath is stifled in the chest.

The thought is not about retribution, nor justice, for one is known by God and knows of God.

How that it is not in man to direct their own steps, that it is God, according to His plan of purpose and time. That none can make crooked those things God made strait, and none can make strait those things God made crooked.

Where comes forgiveness? From the heart that is desperately wicked from the womb? Can a heart such as this forgive or even ask forgiveness?

Where does forgiveness come from?

Does it come from the New heart and the new spirit that God puts into one? If so, then where does that forgiveness come from? God or man?

Does it come from an heart sown in corruption that goes to the grave to see corruption and to never rise again?

Man has the ability to forgive, yet if the act that created the situation for the need of forgiveness is still remembered, and causes ceaseless pain and sorrow, has one truly forgiven the transgressor? If so, then how can the act be remembered without forgiveness also? Must the act as well be forgiven?

We can say all is forgiven.

Do we have to like it?

NO. and even if we don't forgive, does that stand in the way of salvation?

NO.

Romans 8
38.) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39.) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So where does forgiveness really come from, do you see?

peace
You disgust me.

It is not the will of God that we sin. It is not His will that the flesh wins. It is His desire that we submit to Him. He directs the paths of righteous men. He does not open the door to wickedness that we might enter in. And still it is up to us whether or not we follow the plan. And we can choose not to walk in the light that the lamp, His word, provides. But when we walk in darkness we can't see.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

God asked me to defend His name against such attacks. He gave me a verse to deliver to you....

James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

Such a christian forgiving crowd...forgive me please....but ponder these scriptures:

Jer 10:23
O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

So who directs the way of man??????

Pr 11:5
The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness.

BUT READ THIS TOO

Isa 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Hmmm...disgusting... and WHO CREATES EVIL????

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

AND WHO DOES ALL THESE THINGS??????

Some here need to search the scriptures and find truth.

God forgives.

Man cannot, for forgiveness is to "remember no more" and unless we are dead unto the grave, or present with GOD in heaven....we still remember... God forgives and remembers transgressions no more, man cannot.

Jer 31:34
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So sorry the WORD is sweet in the mouth and bitter in the belly.

The WORD of PEACE, PEACE is sweet in the mouth of the one who preaches it, but bitter in the belly when it is understood as truth.

So WHO CREATES EVIL????

Who Directs the way of man?

Jer 10:23
O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Who forgives and remembers no more?????

Jer 31:34
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

These are not my WORDS, they come from God....out of His WORD the BIBLE.

Do the work.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...These are not my WORDS, they come from God....out of His WORD the BIBLE.
To paraphrase an old bit of mine:

"...and he went and hanged himself." Matthew 27:5

"...You go, and do likewise." Luke 10:37

It's all about the context. :poly:

Status
Not open for further replies.