toldailytopic: Forgiveness. When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnson

Luke 17:3
"Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him."

I'm wondering if the definition of forgive in this passage might match number 1 in the dictionary which I quoted before?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When? Always. I think forgiveness is mostly a thing which benefits our own good, infroms our spirit...though it can impact another who is seeking it or those who, though they might not have sought it, are impacted by the act and example.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My forgiveness depends on the person seeking forgiveness. IF it's sincere, I can usually forgive them.

However, I don't believe that entirely forgetting is possible.

zoo22

Is this excusing or forgiving?

I meant forgiving... I consider excusing different.

I think (I think) that it's always appropriate to forgive. That's not to say excuse, and not to say forget.

And I think there can be a big difference in forgiving related to oneself, and forgiving related to the other person. For oneself or for the other person (ideally both). In the case of forgiving for oneself, it's generally a case of moving forward, finding one's own peace. In the case of forgiving for the other person, I think it depends more on a repentance regarding what they have done. But they're obviously intertwined. It's a particular relationship between the forgiver and the forgiven.

I also think that someone wanting for forgiveness can be for very different reasons. Sometimes, it's selfish... That person needing to feel excused. But sometimes, asking for forgiveness is genuinely about the person wanting the person wronged to find their peace and a resolution and a way to be able to move forwarde. I believe the latter is the reason why someone should want for forgiveness of someone.

And the forgiven has to find a way to forgive themselves too. There are plenty of things I've done wrong that I've been forgiven for, but have a hard time forgiving myself for.

elohiym

That is contrary to what the Word of God teaches. We are told TO judge!

1 Cor 5:12... 1 Cor 6:2... See the context.

Depends on what either of you mean by that, I'd think.

Yes. Of course.

I believe that SoJ was intimating he wasn't the judge of a man's heart.

I think it's reasonable to judge a child molester's heart, for example. Is there any doubt what is in such a person's heart?

elohiym

When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

When I feel like forgiving that person. Done any other time, it would lack sincerity. I don't see any hard rules for forgiveness.

BabyChristian

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 9th, 2009 01:02 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Are you the ONLY one that decides which posts or threads are worthy in this category?

Prolifeguyswife

I think it's OK to forgive someone who doesn't ask for it, if it makes you feel better. But the Bible says you don't have to forgive someone if they don't ask.

In my family, there is a male family member who molested some of my cousins as children (SO wrong and disgusting!). This man asked for forgiveness, and was welcomed back to family gatherings and such just a few short years later. I completely disagree with this and will not have him around my children. It's easier for me to say I forgive him, he didn't do anything to me personally. However, forgiving doesn't mean putting yourself into a position of vulnerability, especially not when there's a lot at stake.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I forgive him, he didn't do anything to me personally. However, forgiving doesn't mean putting yourself into a position of vulnerability, especially not when there's a lot at stake.
That's a good point, forgiveness doesn't mean placing everything back to the way it was before the offense.

A repentant thief might be forgiven, (fellowship restored) but he may have permanently given up his right to be the bookkeeper for the church.

zoo22

I think it's OK to forgive someone who doesn't ask for it, if it makes you feel better. But the Bible says you don't have to forgive someone if they don't ask.

I'm just considering the question as "when is it appropriate," not as "you have to." I can't think of a time that it couldn't be appropriate, for the forgiver, if they find forgiveness in themselves, whether or not the person is repentant.

Again, this is separating forgive from "excuse." And from "forget."

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
That's a good point, forgiveness doesn't mean placing everything back to the way it was before the offense.

A repentant thief might be forgiven, (fellowship restored) but he may have permanently given up his right to be the bookkeeper for the church.

Ooooh! Now that is a good point.

Chalmer Wren

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 9th, 2009 01:02 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I think it depends on how you define forgiveness. For me, forgiveness is letting the person who's wronged me know that I don't hate them and that I'm not angry or bitter.

I don't think that forgiveness necessarily takes things back to normal. I had a friend who betrayed me several times. I forgave them each time, including the last, but explained that we couldn't be friends anymore. Even though I forgive them, I have to trust that they will likely just do it again. I trust people to be consistent with their own nature. There's no spite or hard feelings but, just as it would be stupid for a toddler to touch a hot stove a 2nd time, it would be stupid for me to keep putting my self in jeopardy.

I forgive basically everyone for everything. bitterness and hate are just pretty far outside my emotional range. I couldn't hold a grudge if tried. I still hold people accountable though. If I were to forgive assaulting me, I'd still press charges. I just wouldn't do it out of spite of retribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.