toldailytopic: Forgiveness. When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Forgiveness: dismissing a debt

What forgiveness is not:

-circumventing the justice of God
-assuming time will heal all wounds
-letting the offender off the hook
-reconciliation
-excusing unjust behaviors
-attempting to explain the hurt away
-based on notions of fairness
-some idea of weak martyrdom
-quashing your anger
-a natural act
-denying your hurt
-becoming a doormat
-conditional
-forgetting
-a feeling
-presuming of repentance by the offender
-enablement

God commands us to forgive. Forgiveness is an act of the will, it is not some emotion.

AMR

bybee

Thankyou!

Thankyou!

Forgiveness: dismissing a debt

What forgiveness is not:

-circumventing the justice of God
-assuming time will heal all wounds
-letting the offender off the hook
-reconciliation
-excusing unjust behaviors
-attempting to explain the hurt away
-based on notions of fairness
-some idea of weak martyrdom
-quashing your anger
-a natural act
-denying your hurt
-becoming a doormat
-conditional
-forgetting
-a feeling
-presuming of repentance by the offender
-enablement

God commands us to forgive. Forgiveness is an act of the will, it is not some emotion.

AMR

This is an excellent perspective. When God commands us to do something, we do it. Thanks, bybee

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:mmph: Late again . . .

toldailytopic: Forgiveness.
When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

Forgiveness. When is it appropriate to forgive someone?

• When they ask for forgiveness. And we give it with out reservation
  • Forgiveness should be total and complete. Without bitterness and resentment toward the one who is being forgiven.
  • Forgive and forget? I say yes. With real forgiveness, the forgetting of the wrong done will become a distant memory in time.
  • Asking someone to forgive me is a very humbling experience. If the one who is being asked to forgive, and they will not, I move on with life, and ask the Lord to help keep free of harmful resentment and bitterness. I say take it to the Lord and leave it there.
  • Forgiving, and or offering forgiveness to someone is a Joseph syndrome, a David affliction, a Jesus attitude and position, could I be any less of a forgiving person.
  • Forgiving, forgiveness, and forgive, are great remedies that are like from the Lord’s "Balm of Gilead"
  • Forgiveness promotes peace, remember, "Lord, make me an instrument of your peace."

Forgiving, forgiveness, is powerful, is healing, is settling.

May the day never come that I cannot forgive,
for then, I shall become less than zero.
~ Thomas the Psalmist ~

Joseph - Genesis 50:15-21

David -
For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive,
And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You
. Psalm 86:5

Jesus -
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 5:7
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:14-15

How often -
Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Matthew 18:22

When praying -
25 And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses. Mark 11:25-26

The Lord’s two-way street -
And forgive us our sins,
For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
Luke 11:4

This is what we say and do . . .
And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

And we do this too . . .
Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. Colossians 3:13​

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Such a christian forgiving crowd.
Did you miss the part where Jesus said to rebuke those who sin and to only forgive those who repent?

...but ponder these scriptures:

Jer 10:23
O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

So who directs the way of man??????
This says man shouldn't direct his own steps, and that God should. It does not say that God does direct all of them.

Pr 11:5
The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness.
The wicked fall by their own wickedness?

Way to contradict yourself!:thumb:

BUT READ THIS TOO

Isa 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Hmmm...disgusting... and WHO CREATES EVIL????
Did you see that plane?

This doesn't mean it's God's fault when I sin.

Some here need to search the scriptures and find truth.
Look into a mirror and repeat that over and over until it sinks in.

God forgives.
God forgives those who repent.

Man cannot, for forgiveness is to "remember no more" and unless we are dead unto the grave, or present with GOD in heaven....we still remember... God forgives and remembers transgressions no more, man cannot.
Forgiving and forgetting are two different things. And Jesus commanded that we forgive. This means we are capable of forgiveness. You really should read a Bible sometime.

Jer 31:34
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So sorry the WORD is sweet in the mouth and bitter in the belly.

The WORD of PEACE, PEACE is sweet in the mouth of the one who preaches it, but bitter in the belly when it is understood as truth.
Do you think any of us have a problem with this?

Who Directs the way of man?
A righteous man or a wicked man?

Did you miss the part where Jesus said to rebuke those who sin and to only forgive those who repent?

This says man shouldn't direct his own steps, and that God should. It does not say that God does direct all of them.

The wicked fall by their own wickedness?

Way to contradict yourself!:thumb:

Did you see that plane?

This doesn't mean it's God's fault when I sin.

Look into a mirror and repeat that over and over until it sinks in.

God forgives those who repent.

Forgiving and forgetting are two different things. And Jesus commanded that we forgive. This means we are capable of forgiveness. You really should read a Bible sometime.

Do you think any of us have a problem with this?

A righteous man or a wicked man?

I pointed out several scriptures that contradict your REBUKE as you so call it, and it is not I who teach, but God.

I contradicted nothing I said, it is just you who have the issue in understanding.

Who are you to rebuke me? You hold the gospel in a knowledge greater than I?

Search the scriptures to know what God has to say about that.

You are doing God's will either way, and i don't have the authority of condemning or forgiving, that's in God's hand.

Good talking to you though.

peace

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I pointed out several scriptures that contradict your REBUKE as you so call it, and it is not I who teach, but God.
You did no such thing. I responded to each verse, and I only ignored the repetition. And a person with a valid argument doesn't need to keep repeating single verses, out of context.

I contradicted nothing I said, it is just you who have the issue in understanding.
Translation: I'm right and you're wrong...la la la la la la...

Who are you to rebuke me? You hold the gospel in a knowledge greater than I?
Knowledge is meaningless if one does not know Christ.

Search the scriptures to know what God has to say about that.
Been there, done that.

You are doing God's will either way, and i don't have the authority of condemning or forgiving, that's in God's hand.
:mock:14400

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I believe God has forgiven all my sins. Do I still need to apologize for every sin?

bybee

Welllllll

Welllllll

I believe God has forgiven all my sins. Do I still need to apologize for every sin?

It's called "self-examination". During which one might find the need to make amends for doing harm to another. peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.