toldailytopic: Guns: Good thing? Or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are right. How silly I was to have added that feature to my hypothetical weapon. :doh:

It isn't as hypothetical as you think. Targeting with conventional weapons is done the same way. Against stationary military targets.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You can't lock on the target.

Your make believe weapon isn't even close to being useful, anymore than an old M60 machine gun in my home. I could very easily kill my own family and neighbors as the bullets fly through the walls, for up to 1100 meters.

A certain amount of collateral damage to acceptable and to be expected. :plain:

fool

Hall of Fame
I think 25% of the population should be armed whenever in public.
We can work out some kind of rotation.

Jackson

For the pro-gun advocates...

QUESTION:
If guns are so good wouldn't it be better to have a superior weapon?

Let's imagine a weapon that can be activated through your computer. You type a name into Google (or whatever) or type in a coordinate (say the permitter of your house) and click "kill" and the target is instantly vaporized by a laser equipped satellite. Killing from the comfort of your home!

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Thoreau once said, “For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, one hacks at the root.”

Zeke

Guns are the equalizer for the weak and old, you better have one if you value your families lives, seeing the police arrive after the fact in most cases.

DocJohnson

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785

Alate_One

Most cases? Yeah, like 99.99% of the time. The other .01% is a fluke.

The question is though do the guns actually save you? Or do they get into the hands of the criminals? I *feel* safer with a gun in the house but I'm not sure what the studies say about owning one, if it really deters crimes or no.

DocJohnson

The question is though do the guns actually save you? Or do they get into the hands of the criminals? I *feel* safer with a gun in the house but I'm not sure what the studies say about owning one, if it really deters crimes or no.

The studies show that gun ownership is at an all-time high (250+ million privately-owned firearms in the United States) while violent crime is at a 35-year low and murder is at a 43-year low. That's according to the FBI crime statistics.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
For the pro-gun advocates...

QUESTION:
If guns are so good wouldn't it be better to have a superior weapon?

Let's imagine a weapon that can be activated through your computer. You type a name into Google (or whatever) or type in a coordinate (say the permitter of your house) and click "kill" and the target is instantly vaporized by a laser equipped satellite. Killing from the comfort of your home!

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

You are wacky!:crackup:

Gun are primarily used as hunting tools and yes, home and person defense against an aggressor. They are not used by individuals to make war on many.

Your senseless thought process well supports the argument that you are a metro-sexual, wuppus boy who lacks guts. You would not know how to hunt if your life depended on it!

Granite

Hall of Fame
You are wacky!:crackup:

Gun are primarily used as hunting tools and yes, home and person defense against an aggressor. They are not used by individuals to make war on many.

Your senseless thought process well supports the argument that you are a metro-sexual, wuppus boy who lacks guts. You would not know how to hunt if your life depended on it!

Um, k...I wouldn't get too worked up over that guy's posts.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

It does make violent criminals think twice, too bad more women do not carry, rape would about disappear. Now for property crimes, guns are popular with burglars. The owner needs to responsible; some safes cannot be broken into or even destroyed in fire. Sure, there are some expert theirs, but they are looking at pulling off jobs at wealthy homes, in search of gems and art, not guns, which only low-class fences will handle. What this all means is your weapons and hunting tools are secure, if you are responsible.

As to those who are neglectful, I think is cases of innocent deaths, they should be hanged. Firearms should be checked often and if stolen, reported, even the one that has no paper trail leading to you because you need to care about what the thief will do to your secure gun.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It does make violent criminals think twice, too bad more women do not carry, rape would about disappear. Now for property crimes, guns are popular with burglars. The owner needs to responsible; some safes cannot be broken into or even destroyed in fire. Sure, there are some expert theirs, but they are looking at pulling off jobs at wealthy homes, in search of gems and art, not guns, which only low-class fences will handle. What this all means is your weapons and hunting tools are secure, if you are responsible.

As to those who are neglectful, I think is cases of innocent deaths, they should be hanged. Firearms should be checked often and if stolen, reported, even the one that has no paper trail leading to you because you need to care about what the thief will do to your secure gun.

What frustrates me are the absence of castle laws in many states, effectively forcing a home owner, even armed, to play nice in a situation where his or her home has been invaded.

Alate_One

The studies show that gun ownership is at an all-time high (250+ million privately-owned firearms in the United States) while violent crime is at a 35-year low and murder is at a 43-year low. That's according to the FBI crime statistics.

You should know that correlation does not show causation.

There are also studies saying that if you have a gun in your home your rate of homicide is much higher. Of course that could be due to self selection, what kind of people have guns in their homes. (I do BTW but it isn't a handgun).

Don't get me wrong, I think firearms are fun but I don't think there's a good correlation between gun ownership and crime prevention. I don't know if there's been a study on those with concealed carry permits which might give you a different answer due to the more stringent background checks and training you have to go through.

Alate_One

It does make violent criminals think twice, too bad more women do not carry, rape would about disappear.
Unless they get behind you and get the gun out of your hand . . . then the situation is actually worse. Most rape happens from someone you know anyway, are you going to think to pull a gun on someone you know before it is too late?

I'm not against women carrying guns so long as they understand how to properly handle them (that goes for the men too ;) ) but it certainly isn't (pardon the pun) a magic bullet. :chuckle:

I agree here . . . . though sometimes there are legitimate accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.