toldailytopic: Guns: Good thing? Or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antiknight

Tell that to every nation that found itself ruled by the sword under the Egyptian, Persian, Greek, and Roman empires.
I didn't say that lesser weapons are harmless. I said that they are easier to deal with and make murder and other crimes harder to commit.

antiknight

For the pro-gun advocates...

QUESTION:
If guns are so good wouldn't it be better to have a superior weapon?

Let's imagine a weapon that can be activated through your computer. You type a name into Google (or whatever) or type in a coordinate (say the permitter of your house) and click "kill" and the target is instantly vaporized by a laser equipped satellite. Killing from the comfort of your home!

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

lyngraphics

QUESTION:

Let's imagine a weapon that can be activated through your computer. You type a name into Google (or whatever) or type in a coordinate (say the permitter of your house) and click "kill" and the target is instantly vaporized by a laser equipped satellite. Killing from the comfort of your home!

I'd prefer to look my kill in the eye. ;)

The Graphite

Guns are unbiblical. I have searched and searched, and found no scripture supporting guns.

Swords, on the other hand...

WWJD! He'd tell you to go out and buy a sword, that's what!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't say that lesser weapons are harmless. I said that they are easier to deal with and make murder and other crimes harder to commit.

Well little girl, would it make you feel better if they had been pushed out of a window?

QUESTION:

Yes. But it isn't as important as being able to properly wield the weapon. Equal is just fine. When Colt introduced the revolver with .45LC cartridges, it was called the equalizer for a good reason.

Women like P66 would no longer be an easy target for somebody bigger.

DocJohnson

And yet in almost every horror flick that pours from the Hollywood sewer pipe, the slasher always uses knives, axes, picks, chainsaws and bare hands to perpetrate his crimes against humanity.

Norman Bates (Psycho) - knife
Jason Vorhees (Friday the 13th) - various lesser weapons, including bare hands
Michael Meyers (Halloween) - ditto
Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) - chainsaw
Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street) - knives
Jack Torrance (The Shining) - axe
Zombies (Night of the Living Dead) - bare hands and teeth
Harry Warden (My Bloody Valentine) - pick-axe
Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) - his superior mind
Jigsaw (Saw) - various torturous devices

It seems to me that lesser weapons are so much scarier to the general public than boring ol' guns.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And yet in almost every horror flick that pours from the Hollywood sewer pipe, the slasher always uses knives, axes, picks, chainsaws and bare hands to perpetrate his crimes against humanity.

Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) - his mind

It seems to me that lesser weapons are so much scarier to the general public than boring ol' guns.

The weapons you mentioned are far more personal, and primal, I'd say.

antiknight

Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) - his mind

I stand corrected. Clearly... horror movie logic is impossible to beat.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. I don't want that either. Do you?

That isn't the point. The criminal has a hard heart, and is going to commit the violent crime, with or without the firearm.

o you would support the internet laser weapon?

No. You can't properly yield it. That only works on a stationary target, not a moving one.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That isn't the point. The criminal has a hard heart, and is going to commit the violent crime, with or without the firearm.

No. You can't properly yield it. That only works on a stationary target, not a moving one.

It would if the laser was big enough. :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As long as you can lock in your target, it will hit it and kill it, regardless if it is stationary or not.

You can't lock on the target.

Your make believe weapon isn't even close to being useful, anymore than an old M60 machine gun in my home. I could very easily kill my own family and neighbors as the bullets fly through the walls, for up to 1100 meters.

Alate_One

QUESTION:

Someone has been watching too much Death Note . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.