toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Drinking is not a sin. Getting drunk is not a sin. Getting drunk and not learning from it? Now that is sinful indeed.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do not drink personally. For me there is too much temptation. But I do not believe it is sinful if done in moderation.

Quincy

You all sure are some weird Christians. Here in KY most every Christian thinks it's a sin, except for the lushes who try to rationalize it away by saying they aren't really heavy drinkers :chuckle: .

Hahaha, no seriously. I wonder about you guys sometimes.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
You all sure are some weird Christians. Here in KY most every Christian thinks it's a sin, except for the lushes who try to rationalize it away by saying they aren't really heavy drinkers :chuckle: .

Now Quincy that is simply not true. Bourbon is one of Kentucky's major products. I know thousands of Christians in Kentucky who drink and don't consider it sinful. That would include my mother and entire family.

Quincy

Now Quincy that is simply not true.

It seems that way of the ones I know here in Pike County.

Bourbon is one of Kentucky's major products.

Without a doubt.

I know thousands of Christians in Kentucky who drink and don't consider it sinful.

Thousands? That is definitely more people than I've ever known. You may be right then. I just know the ones I know think it's a sin.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 19th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No, it isn't, but the abuse of it is.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Of course not!

I'm thinking about imbibing some right now.

But are we to avoid drinking altogether?

I'm not just thinkin' about it.
I'm having a short fruit jar serving of cabernet this very moment.

There are some very uptight Christians that I know who would do well to have a glass now and then.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm not just thinkin' about it.
I'm having a short fruit jar serving of cabernet this very moment.

There are some very uptight Christians that I know who would do well to have a glass now and then.
:chuckle:

Selaphiel

They are most likely puritans or descendants of puritans. Claiming that responsible use of alcohol is sin within Christianity is borderline absurd. The first miracle according to John is Christ turning water into wine, a LOT of it at that and that is after they have consumed all the wine they already had. We have some puritans where I come from as well, and they say "I know, but I do not like it" when you confront them with the story about the turning of water to wine.
Secondly, the most holy of sacraments within Christianity, the eucharist, is celebrated using wine. The formal form of the sacrament stems from an agape meal, where they ate together and most likely had wine.
We went even further in medieval times, here in Norway, you would get a reprimand from the bishop if you overlooked your duty to brew Christmas beer to the glory of Christ and the virgin Mary.

Alcoholic beverages are not inherently evil within Christianity or Judaism. Like food they are a gifts and should be used with responsibility and gratitude. Alcoholism is a sin (like gluttony) because it perverts this gift, it turns the alcohol or the food to the ultimate concern.

:e4e:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I can only offer this...

I'm a teetotaler, a person who abstains totally from intoxicating drink. That’s my choice. I've heard that those who can really afford to drink (alcohol) don't, those who can least afford to drink (alcohol) do.

Thought I don't think that drinking alcohol is a sin, I believe excessive drunkenness is sinful. Drunkenness can lead to some irresponsible and bad behavior that can severe consequences.

I believe that what Solomon wrote is true…
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise. Proverbs 20:1

The Drunkard’s Lament…
Proverbs 23:29-35
29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? 30 Those who linger long at the wine, those who go in search of mixed wine. 31 Do not look on the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it swirls around smoothly; 32 at the last it bites like a serpent, and stings like a viper. 33 Your eyes will see strange things, and your heart will utter perverse things. 34 Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying: 35 "They have struck me, but I was not hurt; they have beaten me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?"

Proverbs 31:4-7
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes intoxicating drink; 5 lest they drink and forget the law, and pervert the justice of all the afflicted. 6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those who are bitter of heart. 7 Let him drink and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

A wise exhortation…
Ephesians 5:18
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 5:7
For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. [/COLOR]​

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My favorite argument from those who claim alcohol is a sin is that it was just grape juice in the Biblical accounts of the wedding at Capernaum and the last supper, etc.