toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

bybee

You must be out of the "loop" to know this "craze" that has been around a few years. The first reports were from high school teachers who could observe that the teens were somehow intoxicated but could find smell alcohol on their breath or on their person. Sadly, there are many youtube "homemade movies" made glorifying this new twisted well...way to have a drink?

Maybe I should edit and put a warning next to that link Ress?

Anatomy and physiology teach us that some openings are for dispensing and others for receiving. The two are improperly used at the users peril. :dead:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 6:12

12 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

This verse is a bit out of context but I think that it applies. I have the right to drink alcohol. But when alcohol begins to master me, then I have crossed the line and it becomes a barrier between God and myself.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Probably a sin.

Same with IPA

IPA's a sin?

lagunitas_IPA.jpg

oatmeal

Ephesians 5:18

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

We are to avoid drunkenness.

oatmeal

john w

Hall of Fame
Luke 7:14 KJV
And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise.

Irish beer in the book:

Luke 9:50 KJV
And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

He who is not with us is a guiness?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Drinking in and of itself is not sin, being a drunk is...everything in moderation. :cheers:

False Prophet

Some can drink with inpunity, and some cannot. Scripture does not say that drinkers shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Scripture says that drunkards shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Do you practice sin? Those who practice sin do not know God.
Gal 5[19]Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these : fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, 21envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

exminister

No, drinking alcohol is not a sin. The very first miracle of our Lord was at the wedding feast in Cana.
Alcoholism, on the other hand, is a sin!
There I've said it! I call it a sin. I will not let the politically correct agenda get away with calling it an illness.
It is a choice from the very beginning. Once the indulgence takes over it may become an illness.
The suffering that users and abusers cause their loved ones is almost incalculable. Yet, they persist.
I remember the first time I got talked into participating in group therapy as an "enabler"!
When I finally got my head together I came out fighting.
"I am not defined by the alcoholism/ drug addiction of some members of my family. I am affected by their behavior."
It became evident to me that the therapists wanted to lay the blame for their behavior at my door.
I simply don't buy that approach.
A perpetrator is responsible for his/her words and deeds.
Bad therapist.
I did not cause their drinking, nor can I cure or control it. But I can contribute to it. What does that mean? I can give them the invalid excuse that I cause their drinking. I can enable them by paying their bar tab, cleaning up their vomit so they do not feel the weight of their irresponsible behavior. And in that I lose myself. How empty of me to be so full of them. Not enabling them is let them feel the full consequences of their behavior. I turn the focus back on my life.

ragTagblues

toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

If it is, than there is most probably a very special place reserved for me in Hell . . . . Assuming all that jazz happens when we die of course.