toldailytopic: Is homosexuality genetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

You may never like peanut butter, but some foods you don't like off hand you may acquire a taste for. Its not about being hard wired to like/not like it. Beer is not something your body just naturally likes after a certain age, people don't suddenly like it when they turn 21. Many drink it and think its disgusting. Many women may never like it, since they tend to stick with fruity sweet tasting drinks.

So the question is, can people acquire different sexual 'tastes'? The answer, as is evidenced by people who do, is yes. You won't ever acquire such a taste because you won't let yourself do so. But you can't use your lack of desire to do so as evidence that you can't. Non-sequitur.

Well there you go. Some people will never like beer. Some people will never like figs or sprouts or whatever. (Most women I know actually like beer btw so I think you're stereotyping somewhat there) Comparing a child's palette to that of an adult's isn't really the best comparison as like much else it develops with the onset of maturity and age. Most people who enjoy beer as adults didn't as a kid but it's little to do with choice.

If we follow your argument then everyone can supposedly 'choose' to acquire a taste for something they absolutely detest if they give it enough time? The thought of intimacy with my own gender makes me feel nauseated. I don't have a say in it, I don't have a choice in it, it's simply the way I'm 'wired'. You telling me that I wouldn't acquire such a taste because I 'won't let myself do so' is completely missing the point. It's not there. I can choose all manner of sexual fantasy/behaviour or whatever but it's always going to revolve around the opposite sex because that's the only attraction I have.

Do you think you could acquire a taste for being hit on the head with a baseball bat? Is there anything you're averse to where you can't see a way of starting to enjoy it? Would the thought of sticking your head in an ants nest sound more appealing the more you were 'open' to the idea? Do you see the flaw in your argument yet?

Other people don't have such an aversion and are therefore more open to sexual practices that I wouldn't (and more to the point couldn't) be part of.

csuguy

Well there you go. Some people will never like beer. Some people will never like figs or sprouts or whatever. (Most women I know actually like beer btw so I think you're stereotyping somewhat there) Comparing a child's palette to that of an adult's isn't really the best comparison as like much else it develops with the onset of maturity and age. Most people who enjoy beer as adults didn't as a kid but it's little to do with choice.

If we follow your argument then everyone can supposedly 'choose' to acquire a taste for something they absolutely detest if they give it enough time? The thought of intimacy with my own gender makes me feel nauseated. I don't have a say in it, I don't have a choice in it, it's simply the way I'm 'wired'. You telling me that I wouldn't acquire such a taste because I 'won't let myself do so' is completely missing the point. It's not there. I can choose all manner of sexual fantasy/behaviour or whatever but it's always going to revolve around the opposite sex because that's the only attraction I have.

Do you think you could acquire a taste for being hit on the head with a baseball bat? Is there anything you're averse to where you can't see a way of starting to enjoy it? Would the thought of sticking your head in an ants nest sound more appealing the more you were 'open' to the idea? Do you see the flaw in your argument yet?

Other people don't have such an aversion and are therefore more open to sexual practices that I wouldn't (and more to the point couldn't) be part of.

You have to develop the attraction. Of course your fantasies will always revolve around what ever you are attracted. One could potentially acquire a taste for getting hit in the head with a bat for some reason. People acquire a taste for cutting themselves, so why not? You just need the right reasons and one can develop a taste for many things.

Largely, our tastes are just habit. If we have the ability to change our habits, we can change our tastes. Now, it is unlikely that one would acquire a taste for many things, because they simply won't let themselves do so. Either because they are perfectly happy with what they have and see no reason to change or because they have some aversion to a proposed taste - logical, moral, emotional, etc.

You have a false idea that we are hard wired to be one way and we can't do anything about it. But people change all the time, our wiring changes according to what we do and believe - it is not static.

Here's an example for me: I hate diet soda. However, its all my parents stock at their house. So, when I occasionally stay there for extended periods of time, like over the summer, I have found that I can acquire a liking for diet soda. Of course, as soon as I get real soda I immediately revert back to not liking the diet - but for so long as I stick with diet soda, my tastes adopt to my habit.

Arthur Brain

You have to develop the attraction. Of course your fantasies will always revolve around what ever you are attracted. One could potentially acquire a taste for getting hit in the head with a bat for some reason. People acquire a taste for cutting themselves, so why not? You just need the right reasons and one can develop a taste for many things.

Largely, our tastes are just habit. If we have the ability to change our habits, we can change our tastes. Now, it is unlikely that one would acquire a taste for many things, because they simply won't let themselves do so. Either because they are perfectly happy with what they have and see no reason to change or because they have some aversion to a proposed taste - logical, moral, emotional, etc.

You have a false idea that we are hard wired to be one way and we can't do anything about it. But people change all the time, our wiring changes according to what we do and believe - it is not static.

Here's an example for me: I hate diet soda. However, its all my parents stock at their house. So, when I occasionally stay there for extended periods of time, like over the summer, I have found that I can acquire a liking for diet soda. Of course, as soon as I get real soda I immediately revert back to not liking the diet - but for so long as I stick with diet soda, my tastes adopt to my habit.

I'm not saying that everyone is 'hard wired' but I do maintain that not everything can be acquired either. Your point seems to be that everyone can develop a taste if they allow themselves to be 'open' to it and that's just not the case.

If you actually hated diet soda then you wouldn't drink it. You'd drink water instead. If the only spread available in my parent's house was peanut butter then I'd be eating dry bread because I am averse to the stuff. What you're describing isn't 'hate' at all. Heck, I prefer regular soda to the diet stuff because it tastes better but if diet's all there is then I 'make do' with it because I can still palette the stuff. That's the difference.

csuguy

I'm not saying that everyone is 'hard wired' but I do maintain that not everything can be acquired either. Your point seems to be that everyone can develop a taste if they allow themselves to be 'open' to it and that's just not the case.

If you actually hated diet soda then you wouldn't drink it. You'd drink water instead. If the only spread available in my parent's house was peanut butter then I'd be eating dry bread because I am averse to the stuff. What you're describing isn't 'hate' at all. Heck, I prefer regular soda to the diet stuff because it tastes better but if diet's all there is then I 'make do' with it because I can still palette the stuff. That's the difference.

No, i actually do hate it when I first start drinking it. Of course, as we know, soda has an addictive quality. By switching to it for any amount of time, my tastes adjust - and suddenly it tastes exactly like the regular stuff as far as my pallete can tell.

And I'm not big on water either, but I can and have adjusted to drinking just water before. When I do, I no longer desire soda - i desire water. Thus proof that our tastes adapt to our habits.

Arthur Brain

No, i actually do hate it when I first start drinking it. Of course, as we know, soda has an addictive quality. By switching to it for any amount of time, my tastes adjust - and suddenly it tastes exactly like the regular stuff as far as my pallete can tell.

And I'm not big on water either, but I can and have adjusted to drinking just water before. When I do, I no longer desire soda - i desire water. Thus proof that our tastes adapt to our habits.

Well you certainly don't 'hate' it to the extent that I detest peanut butter CS. I wouldn't even open the lid off the jar. Yet you actually make an effort to drink this stuff. I'm not 'big' on water either as it's not exactly the tastiest drink in the world but I'm not averse to it either obviously.

I'm averse to same gender intimacy. You may as well tell me that I can acquire a taste for salmonella poisoning if I'm 'open' to the idea of suffering. Do you see my point here?

My experience obviously doesn't apply as a rule of thumb, because as PB says, sexuality is a complicated aspect of humanity. But insisting that supposedly everyone can acquire certain tastes is a deeply flawed argument IMO.

Thunder's Muse

zoo22

Arthur,

God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Any other option is a lie and is deceitful. Heterosexuality is God's perfect plan.

If being "gay" is is genetic then so is gaybashing If it is OK to be gay, it is OK to gay bash. That is logical and consistent.

oatmeal

If that's logical and consistent to you, you ought to seek help.

yeshuaslavejeff

it's not complicated. it's simple. the Creator put it very simple.
man screwed up.
man complicated it.
man sins then makes excuses instead of admitting it. (eve made me do it)
the answer is simple,
but those whose deeds are evil don't want to be exposed as evil. they don't want to come to the LIGHT to start healing.
they hide from the LIGHT of TRUTH.
only a few ever make it, and then by sheer grace.
the rest are doomed.
this does not apply just to perverted abominations,
but also to liars, to the greedy, to the adulterers, and so on (i.e. almost all)
Yahshua died to give everyone a chance to be healed.
Yahshua told the disciples what they had to do to be saved.
dogs and snakes and vipers and satan's children added to it or took away ....
they will all be judged for what they did.
the
only
one you can trust, the only one anyone can trust to reveal the truth, is the Creator ABBA and Yahshua the Saviour.
not one of man's religions can save you, no, not one.
simple.

oatmeal

?

A combined 98 years of Christian life and this is all that you guys can say?

It's no wonder there are those that feel Christianity is illogical.

It has already all been said by scripture and by those that believe it. My sense of humor might not be to your liking but as I said,

If homosexuality is genetic, there is no reason not to believe that gay bashing is genetic as well. I find that logical in a humorous sort of way.

oatmeal

Well,...I wouldnt call this a 'silly argument', but an utterly ridiculous comparison. 'Bashing' anyone is just wrong! - its more the 'acting out' of a confused, fearful, angry, hateful mentality that needs to be healed. How dare you bring up 'bashing' innocent persons just because of their 'sexual orientiation'. I'm sure Jesus would also endorse this :doh: Appalling.

I dont think anyone is claiming that being gay is based entirely on 'genes', but there may be a genetic component involved. And to your 'convoluted' logic above, NO...its not ok to bash anyone. - that is illogical and insane.

If you want to read that into my comments that is your choice. I condone neither homosexuality or gay bashing. Homos need to be healed, not bashed. Bashers need to healed, not given a target to bash.

If one person can say that one deviant behavior is genetic, why cannot it be said that all deviant behavior is genetic? Why not suggest that murder is genetic? Then every one has an excuse to be a loser. If all deviant behavior is genetic, that makes the need for a savior and a righteous lord all the more evident. Is a cleft palate genetic? What "birth" defects are genetic? If they are genetic, why not just accept them? Genetic or not, Why try to save the child from the problem? why bother with surgeries or anything else? Why not just accept the deformity as "normal"?

oatmeal

oatmeal

oatmeal

pj

oatmeal

Before the politicization of homosexuality and the science behind explaining the mental disorder, the actual scientific evidence showed clearly that the leading cause of homoism is the molestation of children.

In short, homos don't reproduce biologically, they reproduce by molesting children and thus genetics has nothing to do with it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete,

Precisely,

Thank you.

oatmeal

Arthur Brain

It has already all been said by scripture and by those that believe it. My sense of humor might not be to your liking but as I said,

If homosexuality is genetic, there is no reason not to believe that gay bashing is genetic as well. I find that logical in a humorous sort of way.

Oh please. Folk like you and Clete just have a fixation with homosexual people and will justify all manner of ill informed opinion to justify your self righteous bile. If you cared one whit you'd see that having an attraction to one's own gender is far removed from the conscious action of slating and persecuting people.

According to Clete gays don't have the right to see the sunlight reflect off his face. Now that's kinda funny on one level as well as incredibly sad on another.....

Arthur Brain

Arthur,

God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Any other option is a lie and is deceitful. Heterosexuality is God's perfect plan.

If being "gay" is is genetic then so is gaybashing If it is OK to be gay, it is OK to gay bash. That is logical and consistent.

oatmeal

Listen 'Oatmeal'. I'm straight. The thought of homosexual relations with my own gender makes me feel ill. For some reason I don't feel inclined to vent a load of bile on those who aren't the same as myself in terms of heterosexuality though. Maybe I'm just genetically predisposed to finding better things to do than persecute those who are simply different to me? :idunno: If it was the 'perfect plan' then how did homosexuality come about to start off with?

You see, Clete in his "wisdom" and supposedly you go along with the idea that homosexuals 'reproduce' by molesting children into the orientation right? So tell me this brainiac. Where did the first "homo" come from to molest others into this orientation? Hmm? I look forward to your answer on that one.

Frankly you're both as deluded as each other. But hey, if justifying your ignorance and persecution on genetics works for you then....good for you!

:plain:

Arthur Brain

Before the politicization of homosexuality and the science behind explaining the mental disorder, the actual scientific evidence showed clearly that the leading cause of homoism is the molestation of children.

In short, homos don't reproduce biologically, they reproduce by molesting children and thus genetics has nothing to do with it.

Resting in Him,
Clete

If it's the *leading* cause of 'homoism' then where did the first gay person come from? :think:

Cite your sources as well for such an argument. Oh. From credible and verifiable sources as well because so far this is just opinion. Hint: The FRC and any other zealous religious site does not count as science, unless it's backed up. Go for it. :rolleyes:

zoo22

1) If you find that logical, you need help,

2) If you find it humorous, you need more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.