toldailytopic: Liberal vs. Conservative. Where and why do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Dude I love Family Guy too! Hilarious show. Overboard sometimes, but keeps me laughing nonetheless.

Keep laughing.

Inappropriate speaker choice
Tuesday, April 14, 2009

seMissourian.com

The choice of Mike Henry, writer and character voice for the animated series "Family Guy," to appear at Southeast Missouri State University April 16 as part of the Speakers Series is a poor one.
"Family Guy" features as regular characters a kidnapper/rapist and a pedophile, and the show's writers, which include Henry, delight in blatantly treating rape and pedophilia as subjects to laugh about. Anyone who doubts this has only to watch very few episodes. By inviting Henry to speak without recognizing his lack of empathy for the victims of rape and child molestation is staggeringly bad judgment by the persons responsible for approving his appearance. It's unlikely the same persons would invite someone to speak about the Holocaust as a laugh riot.

As a 26-year law enforcement officer who has dealt with many rapists and child molesters and witnessed the gut-wrenching effects of their handiwork, I am disgusted with my alma mater. It's sad that with a choice of speakers on a variety of important topics, SEMO would elect to provide a forum for just another immoral pop culture figure.

I urge SEMO to cancel Henry's appearance. Should he appear, I hope that well-informed rape victim advocates and child abuse victim advocates will attend to respectfully question Henry about his work.
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1530312.html

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Hey, let's all laugh at Sarah Palin and her Down Syndrome baby Trig.

(Did I mention that liberals and their worthless counterparts (atheists, aka "stoner, slackers") truly disgust me?).

'Down Syndrome' Sub Plot Cringe Worthy
Sarah Palin would have been forgiven for being very angry with Seth MacFarlane for mocking her son Trig, a baby with Down syndrome, in the latest episode of 'Family Guy.' The
Palin family has decided to react more in sorrow than anger.

The subplot in question concerned the efforts of the dim-witted, rotund son, Chris, to win the affections of a girl at school, also rotund but also very mean, who has Down syndrome. The phrase 'Down syndrome' is mentioned several times, just to underscore what is going on. And, so that the stoner, slackers who seem to be the core of the audience of 'Family Guy' gets the joke, the Down syndrome girl mentions that her mother is a former governor of Alaska.

Seth MacFarlane, as he often does, violates several rules of humor in this sub plot. First, he is about as subtle as a blunderbuss. A good joke should sneak up on one and grab one unexpectedly. Seth MacFarlane grabs the viewer by the throat and screams his attempt at humor several times, like an unfunny drunk at a party who is trying too hard. MacFarlane is more interested in expressing his obvious ire at Sarah Palin than in being funny.

Second, Seth MacFarlane strikes at the true target of his ire by slamming an innocent. Beating up on an infant in order to get at his mom is not the act of a humorist, but rather something that someone who ought not be allowed in public would do.

Third, the sub plot just wasn't funny. It produced cringing.

Seth MacFarlane is quite honest about his political slant and how it sometimes informs his work. MacFarlane once said in an interview, on a show called 'Life After Film School,' that the whole purpose of creating his second animated show, 'American Dad,' was to express his hatred of George W. Bush.

The Down syndrome sub plot in 'Family Guy' put Sarah Palin in a quandary. Sarah Palin was smart enough to know that Seth MacFarlane had created the sub plot as a means to get a reaction sort of like a two-year-old throwing a tantrum. Ordinarily one ignores the tantrum with the expectation that it will go away.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2706629/family_guy_mocks_trig_sarah_palin.html?cat=9

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 60%

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 40%

According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...

Centrist espouse a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice. Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind, tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

Paulos

I should have added the definition of "libertarian" as provided by the test results:

Libertarians support maximum liberty in both personal and economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence. Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.​

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

Describes my views very well.

Newman

I should have added the definition of "libertarian" as provided by the test results:

Libertarians support maximum liberty in both personal and economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence. Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.​

Describes my views very well.

Good. Libertarianism is the only political view based on a priori deliberation. All others fail because they contradict themselves, reality, or human nature.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Check out what you are, here:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I'm closer to Ghandi than any of the others; slightly left, libertarian.

Ugh, I hate tests like these. It's hard to answer so many of the questions because I don't know exactly what they mean. But my results were...

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

So I'm like Gandhi? :idunno:

I'm not too surprised by the bottom score, but I didn't think I'd come out that far left. :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I am ...

- Anti-abortion
- Pro-sex ed + abstinence
- Pro-death penalty (including extending it to rapists and child molesters)
- Anti-domestic violence
- Pro freedom of and from religion
- Pro-gay marriage
- Pro-no fault divorce
- Anti-hate crime laws
- Anti-drugs (including alcohol)
- Pro-school vouchers that would allow parents the option between private, public or home schooling
- Pro-gun ownership
- Illegal immigration

You are illegal immigration? :squint:

;)

I am...

anti abortion
pro gun
mostly pro death penalty for a couple offenses
pro gay marriage (or the government not defining it at all)
anti hate crime laws
pro public schooling
pro drugs (being legalized, at least marijuana)
I'm kind of a tree hugger
END THE FED
anti free trade
more an isolationist than an imperialist
pro limited welfare/entitlement programs

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I support:

Gun rights
Capital punishment
Gay marriage
Legalization of narcotics/drinking age to eighteen
Closure of US military bases abroad

I oppose:

Abortion
Privatization of prisons
Illegal immigration
Income taxes
Direct election of US senators

I agree with the military base thing
And the privatization of prisons

And I just thought of this - I oppose the privatization of water (just watched a documentary on the water problem)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
State representation is important, and the Senate was intended to be more prestigious a body than the House. We already have the House to directly represent the masses. The Senate was conceived as a more deliberative institution, taking stock of weightier matters, such as foreign treaties. Making our senators beholden to the public is a total mistake and perversion of their intended purpose.

How do you think they should be chosen?

Arthur Brain

Just... just...

:bang:

Before I write, I should point out that while I quite enjoy most of Family Guy, I do acknowledge there are many perfectly legitimate reasons not to like it and to find it distasteful. Those given above, however, at not among them.

Family Guy is not aimed at children, something which should be incredibly obvious to anybody who has watched the show. Its characters are neither supposed to be realistic nor, generally, moral exemplars. Finally, I read the Playboy article linked by the site, and, surprise surprise, MacFarlane does not say that the character of Stewie intended to spread an agenda to young children or their parents.

I struggle to believe that whoever wrote this bilge has ever watched Family Guy. If not, it is deceptive and unprofessional of them to write about something of which they know they are ignorant. If they have watched it then they are clearly so utterly incapable of even the most rudimentary literary analysis or discernment then it is deceptive and unprofessional for them to write articles about media, period.

Rumour has it there was an article in Penthouse where the writers of Scooby Doo had a similar "gay agenda"....

:plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Take the world's smallest political quiz here:

Here are my results:

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 70%

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 90%

According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...Libertarian.​

Here's me....

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 100%

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 50%

It said I'm a liberal, but since I'm 50% economic I'm right in the middle and could maybe be partly libertarian.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The angle he is taking is that if your child is gay, he will be able to do these great science projects, speak at a young age and even talk to his pet dog.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wow. :plain:

Family Guy isn't for kids.

Here is what I know:

Granite's avatar is great. (the show kinda sucks now, though)

You are a tool.

worshippastor12

conservative

conservative

I consider myself a paleo-conservative politically. While I believe that Abraham Lincoln was one of our greatest presidents, I also see him as the catalyst for a big, nationalized government that has spiraled out of control. Without sounding racist (because I'm not) I believe that the south had every right to be fighting to maintain the authority of the state government.

I believe we should return to a more powerful state government with a lot less influence from the national government. I am not advocating we enter into another civil war or abolish nation government altogether. I simply believe the Federal government has developed too much power and some of it should be returned to the states.

I view abortion as murder in any circumstance, even rape.
I believe homosexual marriage is a perversion of scripture and the natural order.
I think we should all have the right to work hard and have more than others for doing so without penalty from the government.
I think welfare is a garbage system that is abused more than utilized for its original intent and reform won't be enough to fix it.
I believe our rights of speech, carrying a weapon, worshiping how we please, etc. should be protected at all cost.

And on a side note, I think States that require a front license plate on vehicles are ridiculous. Thank you for not having us conform to the stupidness of a front license plate PA!

Status
Not open for further replies.