toldailytopic: Memorial Day, what does it mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

A question

A question

You are correct, we were not there to win anything except riches for a few or political influence. If we had been allowed to do our job it could have ended sooner with less loss. I'm glad I didn't know all of this back then, I would have just shot myself or at least went home when my 1st year was up.

Glad you made it back. May God bless you.

Why in God's name would you shoot yourself? No matter what anyone else does your life is your responsibility and you do the best you can to preserve it! I'm with the South Koreans in this. Defend yourself with every means possible.
My Dad was in the trenches in France in WWI. The Turks were their allies and they would go out on forays at night and come back with pairs of enemy ears. He said that they were grateful that they were fighting on the same side.
War is the most ghastly business in which men engage.
I agree with AMR, we have become a nation of apologists. I do believe that here in the Heartland of America there are still some people who will die to defend their own.
If the federal government continues to lead us down the path where we shall become "no people" we shall wind up with "no land"! bybee

The Graphite

As an evangelical Christian conservative and veteran, I'd like to say that Memorial Day is not about thanking service members (current or veteran) for their service. It is about honoring our war dead. And everywhere I look, I see people mixing up these messages, which I believe detracts from the gravity and solemnity of Memorial Day.

Yes, every day of the year is a good day to thank a service member or veteran for their service. Don't mistake me there. However, we have a day for honoring veterans in general, and that is Veteran's Day in November. And we have a day to honor and thank current service members wherever they may be, whether they are seeing action or not, and that is Armed Forces Day, which was just over a week ago (and which most people don't even notice).

Let's keep Memorial Day about our memorial to those who made the ultimate sacrifice and not dilute the message. Just a pet peeve of mine, and my two cents thrown in.

unknown

As an evangelical Christian conservative and veteran, I'd like to say that Memorial Day is not about thanking service members (current or veteran) for their service. It is about honoring our war dead. And everywhere I look, I see people mixing up these messages, which I believe detracts from the gravity and solemnity of Memorial Day.

Yes, every day of the year is a good day to thank a service member or veteran for their service. Don't mistake me there. However, we have a day for honoring veterans in general, and that is Veteran's Day in November. And we have a day to honor and thank current service members wherever they may be, whether they are seeing action or not, and that is Armed Forces Day, which was just over a week ago (and which most people don't even notice).

Let's keep Memorial Day about our memorial to those who made the ultimate sacrifice and not dilute the message. Just a pet peeve of mine, and my two cents thrown in.

As an evangelical Christian conservative, don't you think we could honor our fallen more by putting and end to the killing?

At least it's not just 8 hours of holiday pay to you.

The Graphite

As an evangelical Christian conservative, don't you think we could honor our fallen more by putting and end to the killing?
As an evangelical Christian conservative and veteran... No.

Because some killing is good and righteous, because "there is no greater love than this," because temporary peace is overrated, and because, as my recent favorite bumper sticker so eloquently put it:

"Sometimes war IS the answer, you stupid dirty hippy!"

unknown

As an evangelical Christian conservative and veteran... No.

Because some killing is good and righteous, because "there is no greater love than this," because temporary peace is overrated, and because, as my recent favorite bumper sticker so eloquently put it:

"Sometimes war IS the answer, you stupid dirty hippy!"
oh

Status
Not open for further replies.