toldailytopic: Pet peeves. What are some of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Oh! And disc jockeys who don't announce the song title and artist either before or after, even if it's a block!
Agreed.

Then there's radio in general, because most of the stations play the same songs over and over again. So do music video shows.:bang:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Pet peeves
Actors who Elastagirl (e.g. three-point-landing) pose in movies

Female broadcasters on the field during NFL games

People who face toward the back of the elevator

Actors who hold guns sideway in movies

Librarians

Balloon people

Fire-bomb-slow-walking man-in-movie scenes

Media members who travel to Europe and them come home and speak like them

Companies that sell the naming rights to stars that are already named (Ps 147:4)

Tiny women in movies who throw large men around like ragdolls

Backward talking Yoda sentence formers

People who steal my inventions

e9568094u59yu5eyoujeroigjor.jpg

Last edited:

Four O'Clock

Two more:

1) Water bottles; at home, at work, at friends homes, etc, I constantly find half empty ones laying around. Drink it and toss it or just use a water fountain or sink. I find them in cars, buses, in the street, etc... Wasteful and entirely environmentally unsound with all the recycling needed. Just give me my tap water with all its chorine, zinc, copper, etc...

2) Phone messages where the caller gives you a lengthy paragraph of info in about 10 seconds and then sez: "Andyoucanrechmeat fo-fir-nin-a-siss-tee-fan, that's fo-fir-nin-a-siss-tee-fan." Well, we're obviously never going to talk you numeric moron...:D

Four O'Clock

I have a similar pet peeve.
People who do not use their turn signal. :madmad:

I agree but I got my first traffic ticket in over 25 years a few months
ago. Pulled out of a parking lot and got over into the left hand turn lane. A sharp turn and, I guess, when I straightened up the wheel, the turn signal went off. Made my turn from the left turn only lane and a cop pulled me over up the road and wrote me up for not having a left hand signal on while turning from a left turn only lane. I tried to explain what had happened but, with some of these machos, its like talking to a brick wall. $150! Jerk! I smelled pork the rest of the day...:mad::D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ok how 'bout this one.

Someone please tell me why people say "whole nother" as in "That's a whole nother story."

Maybe I'm missing something thing and there is a reasonable explanation for this but for the life of me I've always wondered why people insist on saying this rather than "whole other."

MacGyver

Ok how 'bout this one.

Someone please tell me why people say "whole nother" as in "That's a whole nother story."

Maybe I'm missing something thing and there is a reasonable explanation for this but for the life of me I've always wondered why people insist on saying this rather than "whole other."
Just a nother (=P) form of mispronunciation. People have been saying it so much that they probably think it's an actual word.

There's really no problem though, as all words had to be made up, as well as the rules of the language. Technically, when writing a city and state, a comma goes both after the city AND state, but most people now never put one after the state. Language is fluid.

Still though, I know it can be annoying, such as "sherbert, "heighth," and "Warshington."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Ok how 'bout this one.

Some people do it on purpose.

MacGyver-
The Warshington thing is an accent issue. I used to do it myself. Anytime I said "wash." After I stopped doing it I only ever heard anyone do it again at an Amish village in Northern IN. And it was very noticeable to me, since I had corrected it in myself.

lucy

When you get home from the grocery store and that one item you really, really needed isn't in any of the bags because the guy that bags your stuff didn't see it and sack it for you. Then you have to go allll the way back to the stupid store just to get that one little thing.. :madmad:

When you are in the far right lane about ready to exit and some yo-yo behind you decides to zoom around you and cuts you off with only inches to spare between him and your front bumper just so he can exit first. So you get one whole car length ahead.... whoopie...

Scares the you-know- what out of ya to boot! :shocked:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People that try and hide whom they really are.

I've always been taught that the Bible is without errors. In recent years of study, I've found errors in the Bible....So, in general how does one reconcile the belief that the Bible is perfect or inerrant with some obvious errors?.... Why is there such a lack of historical data referring to Christ, and the Christian Church ...you cannot prove the existence of God...Does it bother you that your faith is based on subjective opinions and experiences?... their questions? How do you account for the fact of the fossil record and reconcile this with your faith?.... The earth is older than 6,000 years and it's easily proven - even with the Bible alone and no science. The idea that dinosaurs came with Noah on the ark is untenable - unless you are willing to accept that God did it with miraculous means not mentioned in the Bible.... Evolution is a fact....
The reason I say these things is this. Christians....have no idea what science has proven.... This makes them look foolish, superstitious, close minded, and ignorant in the literal sense of the word. This should not be.....Christian people need to wake up to the fact that there are essential Christian doctrines necessary for salvation that are solid....I mean, if you are trying to lead people of this world to Christ, and they are educated as many, many people are; you have to be able to give an adequate defense of your faith.

And in the same breath, " I have been Christian for 28 years, and have studied the Bible".

Status
Not open for further replies.