toldailytopic: Racism. Should people have the right to be racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't believe so. Nor for sex, religion or nationality. As someone has stated, there are ways around it, and those who hate already know how to skirt the law, we don't need to lend them any help here; but they are going to continue their hatred, and express it every chance they get. When you add 'sexual preference' to the list, you're stepping on people's right to free practice of religion, though. If I own a duplex, one apartment being used as a daycare, and don't want to rent the other to a queer, I should have a right to use my common sense.
You answered no, but I think you meant yes.

Yes, a person SHOULD have the right to discriminate. (is that correct?)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Although immoral, I don't see how it has any detrimental effect on anyone else. Can someone prove me wrong?
How is not hiring a person based on race immoral?

If I hire some oriental guys to do my yard work over a group of Islamic looking guys how is that immoral?

Punisher1984

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 19th, 2009 10:05 AM

toldailytopic: Racism. Should people have the right to be racist? If so, how far should those rights extend?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Do racists have a "right" to be such - certainly. However, just because they have the freedom to hold and express such views doesn't mean they are free from being put in place for their ignorance and irrational hatred of those from another "race" (as if there were such a thing).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, such cretins, scum, and other degenerates who don't deserve air have the right to their own opinions.

I'd draw the line at causing physical harm and some instances of libelous/slanderous conduct...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do racists have a "right" to be such - certainly. However, just because they have the freedom to hold and express such views doesn't mean they are free from being put in place for their ignorance and irrational hatred of those from another "race" (as if there were such a thing).
OK, so in practical terms what are you saying?

Punisher1984

If I hire some oriental guys to do my yard work over a group of Islamic looking guys how is that immoral?

It's not any more "immoral" than what society says it is - but it certainly *does* demonstrate an irrational fear of and bias against one of those people groups if you select the Orientals over the Muslims based on their ethnic and religious affiliations.

Punisher1984

OK, so in practical terms what are you saying?

Just what I said in my previous post - the racists have a "right" to think and say what they will, what they don't have a "right" to do is expect more intelligent individuals to not belittle or humiliate them for their arrogant possition.

elohiym

If I own my own business or my own apartment complex, should I have the right to not hire or not lease to a person based on race?

I believe you should have the right to hire or lease to whoever you want, based on any criteria you want. It's immoral to force you to do otherwise.

It would have been immoral for Israel to ignore God's policies of racial discrimination, and when they didn't follow God's policies to the letter they suffered consequences.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, such cretins, scum, and other degenerates who don't deserve air have the right to their own opinions.
Are they really scum?

Let me give you an example and then you can respond.

My father is one of the sweetest, most gentle, caring, and loving fathers you will ever meet. Yet he is a bit racist towards Koreans. He will use terms that I would never use and I always cringe when he says them. I often say... "pop, you shouldn't say those kinds of things." My dad would never cause any Korean any harm and he would probably be the first to risk his own life saving them if their house was burning down.

You see, my dad fought on the front lines in the Korean war for two years. His feelings towards Koreans is deeply ingrained into his brain from those years of his life.

And while I believe my father shouldn't have these feelings towards Koreans I certainly can understand why he has these feelings and I don't think he is "scum" for having such feelings.

What say you?

DocJohnson

Because it's based solely on prejudice.

prej⋅u⋅dice [noun] - an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason; unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

Jesus' parable about the good Samaritan was about showing mercy to those who may hate or despise you because of your nationality. Jesus also interacted without prejudice with many Samaritans Himself. I think that should teach us something.

Right!! I could care less about the constitution. God has said that all people are made in God's image, and that all people are one in Jesus Christ (Gal. 3:28). As such, I have no right to discriminate or have racial prejudices.

Did God discriminate against the gentile nations when he drove them out of the land that they were occupying to make room for the Israelites?
Are you for or against the Islamic religion and their beliefs?
Are you for or against eugenics?
Do you think everyone should believe in the God of the bible?
Do you have formed opinions that shape the way you make choices?
Do you think others should have the same rights as you do?

WandererInFog

In a post-racist world a person who refuses to do business with those of a particular race is an idiot. He's a weirdo you probably wouldn't be wise to do business with yourself. Anyone dumb enough to cull their own market on such a meaningless basis isn't going to be in business long.

The conundrum here of course is that reaching the point where this is somewhat true has been brought about by anti-discrimination laws, because prior to them racial minorities possessed so little wealth that it was quite easy for whites to decline to do business with them and suffer virtually no negative economic consequences as a result. And were you to remove those laws there are still numerous situations where that would still be true.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's not any more "immoral" than what society says it is - but it certainly *does* demonstrate an irrational fear of and bias against one of those people groups if you select the Orientals over the Muslims based on their ethnic and religious affiliations.
Is it really irrational fear???

You are into self preservation aren't you?

If you owned a apartment building would you possibly consider NOT renting to three Muslim guys because you feared they might be the next Nadal Malik Hasan??

You can either rent to three "Joe average" college students or three Muslim guys in their late 20's. You pick the college kids because you were a bit concerned about the Muslim looking guys.

That doesn't strike me as irrational.

Your judgment could prove to be wrong (the college kids might destroy the place and the Muslim guys might be great renters) but even still, your judgment is certainly not irrational.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Because it's based solely on prejudice.

prej⋅u⋅dice [noun] - an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason; unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

Jesus' parable about the good Samaritan was about showing mercy to those who may hate or despise you because of your nationality. Jesus also interacted without prejudice with many Samaritans Himself. I think that should teach us something.
It does teach us something about civility, but immorality???

I think you are confusing civility with morality.

DocJohnson

It does teach us something about civility, but immorality???

I think you are confusing civility with morality.

im⋅mor⋅al [adjective] - not conforming to the patterns of conduct usually accepted or established as consistent with principles of personal and social ethics.

ci⋅vil⋅i⋅ty [noun] - courtesy; politeness; a polite action or expression.

Personally, I think Jesus taught us to show mercy for reasons beyond mere courtesy and politeness.

Son of Jack

Did God discriminate against the gentile nations when he drove them out of the land that they were occupying to make room for the Israelites?

He didn't do it just because they were foreigners. He did it because they had been acting immorally. God allowed foreigners to live with the Israelites, did He not? Sure, He told the Israelites not to intermingle, martially or religiously, but as I understand it, both of those things are choices; whereas, race most certainly is not.

Are you for or against the Islamic religion and their beliefs?

Again, do Muslims choose to believe or do they have a genetic predisposition toward Islam?

Are you for or against eugenics?

Against, no sure how it relates to this question...

Do you think everyone should believe in the God of the bible?

Do I think they should?? I would like it if they did, but only if they choose to believe.

Do you have formed opinions that shape the way you make choices?

Do you know anyone who doesn't?

Do you think others should have the same rights as you do?

Sure, I don't see myself as special...BUT, as a Christian, I have to hold myself to a higher standard than the constitution. Is it lawful to be a racist? Yes. Should I be a racist? No. As I said, God made people in His image. Since that is my meta-belief, then I have to act accordingly, despite what the law might say.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
The conundrum here of course is that reaching the point where this is somewhat true has been brought about by anti-discrimination laws, because prior to them racial minorities possessed so little wealth that it was quite easy for whites to decline to do business with them and suffer virtually no negative economic consequences as a result. And were you to remove those laws there are still numerous situations where that would still be true.

Which capitalism will correct if you protect basic human rights and enforce the law.

A friend of mine's grandfather (or great-grandfather? I'd have to ask and be certain) started a little juke joint in the woods that did very, very well. Started out as a shack were folks just got together, drank and played music. Ended up somewhat popular and was growing into a respectable (ahem) business. Enough that some more prosperous white business men took an interest and offered the guy a sizable amount of money to partner up.

Don't know if he ever intended to take those men up on the their offer or not. The klan burned the place down about that time. No arrests, naturally. And since he wasn't insured it nicely skunked him financially.

Later on though he tried again, once he was confident someone wasn't going to burn his place down just for kicks and giggles. Which is to say, once folks started enforcing the law and dissuading people from burning down other people's property. That place is still kicking over in the CBD today, though the original owner/operator is long since dead.

elohiym

Personally, I think Jesus taught us to show mercy for reasons beyond mere courtesy and politeness.

Personally, I think Jesus was, by definition, a racist.

Mat 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Personally, I think Jesus was, by definition, a racist.

Mat 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Which establishes that discrimination isn't inherently wrong. It's how one discriminates that is right or wrong, wise or foolish. Even speaking as one who would certainly have fallen into the "dog" category in those days, I recognize Christ's very wise discrimination there. :thumb:

And bear in mind also that he amended his discrimination against this woman once He'd prompted her to show her good faith. Nicely illustrating the difference between discrimination and bigotry in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.