toldailytopic: Santa Claus: harmless holiday tradition, or agent of darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 11th, 2009 10:41 AM

toldailytopic: Santa Claus: harmless holiday tradition, or agent of darkness?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Graphite

Lie to your children at Christmas about a magical man who flies in the clouds and "gives gifts to men" and who bestows his favor upon all those around the world who believe in him...

And your kids will have more reason to believe the same thing about Jesus at Christmas, a magical man who flew into the sky, who the Bible says "gave gifts to men," and who bestows his favor upon all those around the world who believe in him.

I know it was a factor in my own rejection of God. Just another myth parents tell their children to trick them into being good. A nice story with good intentions...

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I would never curse a child with such lies.

Now, at the same time, I would share with children stories about the historical Nicholas. Nothing wrong with a little reality and truth in a season that honor's God's gift to the world through giving gifts to each other, and the story of the real "saint" Nicholas is just fine to go with that, as long as the focus is on the real, historical-yet-supernatural miracle of God that is the birth of Jesus Christ.

Son of Jack

Lie to your children at Christmas about a magical man who flies in the clouds and "gives gifts to men" and who bestows his favor upon all those around the world who believe in him...

And your kids will have more reason to believe the same thing about Jesus at Christmas, a magical man who flew into the sky, who the Bible says "gave gifts to men," and who bestows his favor upon all those around the world who believe in him.

I know it was a factor in my own rejection of God. Just another myth parents tell their children to trick them into being good. A nice story with good intentions...

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I would never curse a child with such lies.

Now, at the same time, I would share with children stories about the historical Nicholas. Nothing wrong with a little reality and truth in a season that honor's God's gift to the world through giving gifts to each other, and the story of the real "saint" Nicholas is just fine to go with that, as long as the focus is on the real, historical-yet-supernatural miracle of God that is the birth of Jesus Christ.

I remembering hearing this argument and thinking to myself that I could understand why some people think this way. BUT, when I discovered that Santa wasn't real, I didn't reject Jesus. In fact, the thought never entered my mind. It's not too difficult to differentiate between the two.:idunno:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Harmless, but not to be taught as the focus of the Christmas season.

I agree. My focus on Christmas (and Thanksgiving) is about utilizing these special days with my family. Sharing and love of family is what I equate Christmas too.

Choleric

I absolutely agree with the above. When my mother learned that Santa wasn't real, her first thought was "Is God real". My parents give us a hard time about some things, but when we told them we weren't going to lie to our kids about Santa, they were fine with it.

I just don't want to lie to my children about it. No need. Christmas is just as fun around my house without the legend of the bearded gift giver.

Son of Jack

I agree. My focus on Christmas (and Thanksgiving) is about utilizing these special days with my family. Sharing and love of family is what I equate Christmas too.

While I disagree with what your focus is in an ultimate sense, I can appreciate anyone who makes the holidays about family.:e4e:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
At our house Santa is just kind of a silly joke. We don't attempt to make our kids believe that Santa is real but we also don't freak out about having the character be a part of the holiday tradition (sorta like egg nog and Christmas trees).

If our kids ever ask about him we tell them the truth.

Christmas is a fun holiday in the same way that Independence Day is a fun holiday. Santa is to Christmas as fireworks are to the 4th of July. If you aren't careful with fireworks you might blow your fingers off. :D

Newman

My family still does the whole Santa Claus thing, and as far as I know, it hasn't had any detrimental effects on our faith in God. It was never a huge deal. My parents never made it so that it was the highlight of the season. In fact, if anything was the highlighted event of the season, it was going to the Christmas Eve service at my church.

And that service still is the favorite Christmas tradition for my family, so I say "Harmless".

Status
Not open for further replies.