toldailytopic: Santa Claus: harmless holiday tradition, or agent of darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Well. Why don't you just kick a puppy? :mmph:

I say harmless. I believed in Santa when I was a kid. And I still believe in God. And now that I AM santa, I can vouch for his authenticity. And boy does he every love cookies. ( which I note you left out of your Jesus parallel.) :plain:

I'm in the "harmless" camp too. Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Elves, Leprechauns, Eskimos, just fun ways to mess with your kids.

a joke was shamelessly stolen from The Simpsons in the making of this post.

MacGyver

Agent of darkness? Where did that come from? I've never heard of Santa being referred to as that before. Is it because of the Santa/Satan anagram? :confused:

Four O'Clock

I remembering hearing this argument and thinking to myself that I could understand why some people think this way. BUT, when I discovered that Santa wasn't real, I didn't reject Jesus. In fact, the thought never entered my mind. It's not too difficult to differentiate between the two.:idunno:

Hey SOJ; I agree totally with your thoughts. My Christian mother (and Father) fed me the Santa story, Dad used to sneak downstairs on Xmas Eve and leave a half-empty glass of milk and half-eaten cookies for us to find Xmas morning as a clue that Santa had been there. Never conflicted with my upbringing and faith in our Savior.
I think your comments effectively end this useless thread...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I never believed in Santa. My dad told me the story of St. Nicholas, out of a Daily Bread, one time, and that was it. But I never told my siblings or cousins.:shut:

assuranceagent

I never believed in Santa. My dad told me the story of St. Nicholas, out of a Daily Bread, one time, and that was it. But I never told my siblings or cousins.:shut:

No way! Once they find out, the jig is up and you don't get the good loot anymore... :chuckle:

I think my son knows, but he's afraid of the implications of admitting it.

I have fun with it.

assuranceagent

Wait, you're the fat guy in a red suit at the mall with a white, cigarette-stained beard...

No. He's my helper, Hank. And he's trying to quit. :plain:

Can't say that I'm really all that surprised.:idunno:

Was it the twinkle in my eye? Because I think that's just contact solution...

That said, I knew Santa was a Calvinist all along...:plain:

I thought he was a "ripe, jolly old elf."

...except for the 'ripe' part...that might be Hank again. :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I remembering hearing this argument and thinking to myself that I could understand why some people think this way. BUT, when I discovered that Santa wasn't real, I didn't reject Jesus. In fact, the thought never entered my mind. It's not too difficult to differentiate between the two.:idunno:
I remember one Christmas when I was around four thinking that Santa was Jesus's father and sharing that notion, loudly, at our family gathering...that's the Christmas now commonly referred to in my family as "the year [redacted] discovered the egg nog bowl".

True story. I was clear as a bell on the issue shortly thereafter and ever since.

fool

Hall of Fame
In the summer months a small white box truck slowly cruises the streets around here playing organ grinder music from a rusty loudspeaker mounted on it's roof.

For the first five and a half years of my oldest sons life he thought it was the "music truck".

It drove around playing music, the house was far enough away from the road that they never could make out the details of the "decoration" the music truck had on it's sides.

Five and a half years on the oldest one and a little over four for his brother and then one day they went to play at a friends house. I heard the music truck, faint and broken on the still summer air and then a little clearer and a little louder. The minutes ticked by as the dreamlike carnival sounds waxed and waned and that first chapter of parenthood came to it's end. No longer would my children live in a world where people drove around in trucks playing music "just because".

When my wife brought them home I could see the story on their faces and hands and shirts. They knew.

"Hey Dad! Guess what? the Music Truck sells Ice Cream!"

"Oh really? huh"

"Yeah, you can stop him as he goes by and he sells Ice Cream!"

"Wow, Music and Ice Cream, well, we don't usually have any cash for the ice cream so we may not be able to stop the truck"

"That's OK, the Music truck takes credit cards"

Merry Christmas everyone.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We have told our kids as soon as they could understand that Santa isn't real. But we still joke and pretend as if he is, and the kids love to go along with it. Its fun. We discuss the Christian meaning of Christmas all through the month of December, in our own form of Advent.

I have no problem with stories about fictional characters. I just don't understand why some people would try to convince their kids that a fictional character is real. :idunno: I don't think I ever believed that Goldilocks was real.

bybee

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm

Wait, you're the fat guy in a red suit at the mall with a white, cigarette-stained beard...Can't say that I'm really all that surprised.:idunno:

That said, I knew Santa was a Calvinist all along...:plain:

Is it because he "knows" who's naughty or nice? bybee:D

Lucky

Hall of Fame
A stupid tradition. I'm not going to lie to kids about Santa.

Personally, I don't really like anything about the Christmas traditions anymore. I don't want gifts. I don't want to buy you gifts. I don't want trees inside the house. I don't want to decorate. I don't need the extra doses of diabetes/obesity/heart disease causing foods. The songs are annoying. Santa is annoying. The bell ringers at Walmart should be shot. I've heard enough sermons on Luke 1-2. And so on.

Now, I don't really care if you want to celebrate Santa or baby Jesus or both, just don't view me as a heathen for not wanting to participate.

lucy

I think it is harmless as long as you don't lie to your kids. I was really mad as a kid when I found out Santa wasn't real because I realized my parents had lied to me and because I then felt really stupid for believing them.

I am still a little bothered by the whole Santa/presents thing because the holiday has become so materialistic. I watch my cousin's little ones who get showered with stuff at Christmas, birthdays, etc. and they have become greedy little beggars! In between holidays they are always hitting up Grandma for junk. It's really annoying going shopping with them because they see stuff in the store and then whine about getting more stuff the whole time. As I watch other people's kids in the store, I see this attitude is a very common one.

Easter has become the same way- the malls etc. want you to BUY, BUY, BUY!!! It just gets a little sickening to me. :vomit:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think it is harmless as long as you don't lie to your kids. I was really mad as a kid when I found out Santa wasn't real because I realized my parents had lied to me and because I then felt really stupid for believing them.

I am still a little bothered by the whole Santa/presents thing because the holiday has become so materialistic. I watch my cousin's little ones who get showered with stuff at Christmas, birthdays, etc. and they have become greedy little beggars! In between holidays they are always hitting up Grandma for junk. It's really annoying going shopping with them because they see stuff in the store and then whine about getting more stuff the whole time. As I watch other people's kids in the store, I see this attitude is a very common one.

Easter has become the same way- the malls etc. want you to BUY, BUY, BUY!!! It just gets a little sickening to me. :vomit:

There's no need to lie. Santa is real. There is more evidence for him than the big bang. Even if Santa ceased to exist, he would morph into something else. He will always be there in spirit because parents' love for their children will always exist.

Nope, there is no need to lie.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
There's a Foamy cartoon that pretty accurately illustrates how I feel about Santa and the Christmas holiday. I doubt I can post it here though.

I do get annoyed with Christmas taking attention away from my birthday, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.