toldailytopic: Santa Claus: harmless holiday tradition, or agent of darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurucam

I have no problem with stories about fictional characters. I just don't understand why some people would try to convince their kids that a fictional character is real. :idunno: I don't think I ever believed that Goldilocks was real.

So you have never met Cinderella?

Gurucam

If Santa disappears or stop buying gifts from stores, the economy will collapse again.

His Christmas requirements keep people employed and therefore fed, all year round.

He is a blessed soul of the Capitalist system which in it self is a bit of a God in the western world.

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Lie to your children at Christmas...
I still believe:

An excerpt The True Saint Nicholas by William J. Bennett:

"In Patara, there lived a family that had fallen on hard times. They had once been wealthy, but misfortunes had overtaken them, and now they were so poor they had barely enough to live on. The father had tried to find work, but when people saw his soft hands, which had never known any kind of hard labor, they took him to be lazy, and turned him away.

The man had three daughters of marriageable age, but their chances of finding husbands were grim since the father could offer no dowries. (In those days, a young woman needed a dowry to attract an offer of marriage.) As their financial situation grew desperate, the father realized that the only way to ensure the survival of his children was to sell them into servitude. At least that way they would have enough to eat.

When news of the family's plight reached Nicholas, he at once set about thinking of a way to help them. He remembered Jesus' teaching that "when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret" (Matthew 6:3-4 NASB). He soon came up with a plan. That night, he put several gold coins into a small bag and started out for the home of the father and his three daughters.

The hour was late and the streets deserted when he arrived. Inside the house, the family was sleeping. Nicholas crept up to a window, reached through, and dropped the bag of gold. (Some say that it landed in a shoe, others in a stocking that had been left hanging to dry.) Then he hurried away before anyone saw him.

The next morning the family discovered the bag of gold. Weeping with joy and astonishment, they fell to their knees to thank God for the generous gift. Not only did they have money to live on for some time, there was enough to provide a generous dowry for the oldest daughter, and she was soon married.

When Nicholas saw how much happiness his secret gift had caused, he decided the second daughter must have a dowry, too. He went to the house at night, as before, and dropped a second bag through the window. The next morning brought more tears of joy and astonishment, and more thanks to God for the miraculous gift. The second daughter soon had her dowry and was married.

The father dared to hope that his third daughter would also receive a gift that would allow her to marry. But now he was determined to find out who the earthly angel who had saved them might be. Night after night he stayed up, waiting and watching. Finally, late one night, just as he had concluded that their mysterious benefactor had deserted them, a bag of gold came flying through the window.

The man rushed out of the house, ran after the shadowy figure that was hurrying away, and caught it by the cloak. When he recognized Nicholas, he fell to his knees and began to kiss the hands that had helped his family so graciously. Nicholas asked him to stand, and told him to thank God instead. He begged the father not to tell anyone the secret of who had left the gold.

Despite his longing for anonymity, Nicholas's act of generosity set him on the path to becoming the world's most famous gift giver..." full text: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-True-Saint-Nicholas/William-J-Bennett/e/9781416567462#EXC

Last edited:

Jackson

Why do firemen wear red suspenders?

Wait for it...

To hold they're pants up! :rotfl:

Oh... :plain: this is about santyclaws... Never mind. :noid:

Please forgive me, I'm on Dayquill.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I need five dollars to play the Chipmunks Christmas song on the jukebox at work twenty times in a row...

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I got a little carried away in my last post. I do like some Christmas songs, if you've listened to TOL Radio you'd know that. I don't mind taking one day to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Time with family members is always good. Christmas cards are okay.

But I have come to loathe most of the traditions (Black Friday, Santa, the season of getting, etc). Even some campaigns initiated by Christians can be so annoying. Things like Keep Christ in CHRISTmas!, Happy holidays? Which holiday you infidel?!!, Jesus is the Reason for the Season and Santa = Treason!

Status
Not open for further replies.