toldailytopic: The origin of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

Science 101: Everything that has a beginning has a cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with a first cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with matter (and no borrowing God's; you'll have to get your own).
The cause of the Big bang is unknown It may have been directly caused by God (and there's no reason for me to "get my own", I'm not an atheist). But the ultimate cause of the universe doesn't have any bearing on the origin of life anyway.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"The cause of the Big bang is unknown. It may have been directly caused by God..."
May have been? How astute. :rolleyes: I'm going with the first cause of the universe was God (Ge 1:1). It takes years of education to become foolish (1 Cor 1:25). It is wise to believe God's word over man's opinion.

"[T]he ultimate cause of the universe doesn't have any bearing on the origin of life anyway."
Scientists tend to worship themselves as gods. I'm going with the real deal. The true God had something to do with the origins of life, too (Ge 2:7; Ac 17:28). You may want to just say "thank you" (Ec 6:12).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It takes years of education to become foolish (1 Cor 1:25).
That isn't what the verse is saying, you know. Well, maybe if you had a little more education. :D Sorry for the interruption, but the faithful and well educated have enough of their plates without anyone suggesting that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of truth/God are somehow antithetical.
Scientists tend to worship themselves as gods.
That's silly. Like saying Christians tend to set themselves up as the judge of...:think: Well, some Christians then.

By the way, I agree with your Who of creation's authorship, just not the way you're going about setting it out.
You may want to just say "thank you" (Ec 6:12).
How likely do you think you've made that prospect? Do you think you've upped the chances or diminished them?

MacGyver

The problem with that is, you cannot get something from nothing.

Aren't you our resident PhD (phenomenal dud [Rogers])? Where do you get your mass?

Scientists admit that they do not know what over 90% of the universe is. They don't know what it is and they don't know how to find out what it is. Yet, some are sure that something came from nothing and God had no hand in creation. I'll go with what God says (Ge 1:1).
Nobody is claiming getting something from nothing. That's not what scientists say.

Science 101: Everything that has a beginning has a cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with a first cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with matter (and no borrowing God's; you'll have to get your own).
Here's what scientists say:
From our study of the universe, it seems to have begun in an extremely-dense, infinitesimal point and has been expanding ever since at an accelerating rate. Why? Where did this point come from? What caused it to expand? We don't know the answers to these questions, and that's ok. It's ok not to have all the answers. We're still trying to figure it out, but currently we can't explain what we're seeing.

But as Alate_One said, the origin of the universe is a different question than the origin of life. They both could have the same answer, but we currently can't prove that.

PlastikBuddha

Aren't you our resident PhD (phenomenal dud [Rogers])? Where do you get your mass?

Scientists admit that they do not know what over 90% of the universe is. They don't know what it is and they don't know how to find out what it is. Yet, some are sure that something came from nothing and God had no hand in creation. I'll go with what God says (Ge 1:1).
We're talking about the origins of life here, not the origins of matter and energy. Go suggest it as a daily topic if you can't wait to discuss it, though...

Alate_One

May have been? How astute. :rolleyes: I'm going with the first cause of the universe was God (Ge 1:1). It takes years of education to become foolish (1 Cor 1:25). It is wise to believe God's word over man's opinion.
I'm not saying I don't believe God is the first cause of everything, I'm just not willing to say that the Big Bang was the true beginning, since I don't really know.

Can you say anti-intellectual? Please read TH's response to your silliness.

Scientists tend to worship themselves as gods. I'm going with the real deal. The true God had something to do with the origins of life, too (Ge 2:7; Ac 17:28). You may want to just say "thank you" (Ec 6:12).
You're nuts. No scientist I know worships themselves as a God. I certainly thank God for everything on a regular basis . . . why would you think I didn't? :kookoo:

ThePhy

…Scientists tend to worship themselves as gods.
I know a number of very good scientists whose belief in the Christian God is every bit as sincere as yours.

I personally don’t believe in any god, including myself. If you want to call my views towards myself as worship, then you have a pretty low standard for what the word “worship” means.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I know a number of very good scientists whose belief in the Christian God is every bit as sincere as yours.

I personally don’t believe in any god, including myself. If you want to call my views towards myself as worship, then you have a pretty low standard for what the word “worship” means.
It's a stereotype but an accurate one. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.