toldailytopic: The origin of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 1st, 2009 10:24 AM

toldailytopic: Did life come from non-living matter, or was life created? And why do you believe what you believe about the origin of life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

antiknight

Just look in any pond or lake. It's easy to imagine bacteria and simple forms of life evolving. I think at this stage in the game it's pretty obvious that there is no need for any type of divine creator.

Tico

toldailytopic: Did life come from non-living matter, or was life created? And why do you believe what you believe about the origin of life?

Both.

The basic, physical components of things that are living are also found in non-living things.

Chance could never have arranged non-living matter into the complexity of information we see in life. Intelligence could.

Son of Jack

Well, I guess we could posit one of two alternatives and still be considered somewhat reasonable: infinite regress (the eternal/oscillating/multi- universe) or there was a Creator.

I would fall on the side of a Creator. How exactly He went about doing it, whether it was a long (old-earth) or fast (young earth) process, I simply don't know.

Geez, Knight, next time pick a bigger topic, why don't ya?!?:D

bybee

Here's the thing

Here's the thing

Just look in any pond or lake. It's easy to imagine bacteria and simple forms of life evolving. I think at this stage in the game it's pretty obvious that there is no need for any type of divine creator.

What is the impetus for bacteria to evolve? They have everything they need for survival as is. If we begin at the beginning, there had to be a "Beginner of things". peace, bybee

Son of Jack

What is the impetus for bacteria to evolve? They have everything they need for survival as is. If we begin at the beginning, there had to be a "Beginner of things". peace, bybee

Well, looks like bybee put an end to this discussion...:D

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber

Excellent point, bybee.

To my thinking, all these different discussions hinge on the origin of the non-living matter. No other discussion even makes sense until that is resolved. Since none of us were there, we all start out in the same place - unable to prove anything impirically.

We creationists start with the presupposition that God exists. We believe the Bible to be the record, albeit not a scientific one, of the creation of life. From that record, we assert that God created life.

Those who don't believe in a creation theory, I guess, have to believe that something came from nothing. If they assert that there was anything else out there floating around, we're back at square one. Where did it come from? Nothing is nothing.

The question matters. Age of the earth? I don't know - wasn't there. Evolution? Wasn't there, but I have an objective record that refutes it. Origin of life? Wasn't there, but again, I have an objective record that states that out of nothing God created life. Those who don't believe that creation is even possible need to at least admit that they have no idea how the first matter appeared on the scene and spend some time pondering that before they jump to the assertion that evolution is a scientifically proven fact.

DocJohnson

Those who don't believe that creation is even possible need to at least admit that they have no idea how the first matter appeared on the scene and spend some time pondering that before they jump to the assertion that evolution is a scientifically proven fact.

Since when did facts matter?

Mathematics - theory
General Relativity - theory
Quantum Physics - theory
Cell Unit - theory
Continental Drift - theory
Giant Impact - theory
Speculative Reason - theory
Global Warming - settled science
Darwinism - settled science

:mmph:

Theolog

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 1st, 2009 10:24 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Science is still chewing on if matter is a wave or a particle, so far they are not sure. Christians seem to confuse the spiritual with the natural. There is much as yet we do not know.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Flying Spaghetti Monster did it.

Let me tell you, I've read some fairly original, insightful and wickedly funny posts before...:plain:

Now on topic, had you asked me a few decades ago I would have answered that something mathematically remarkable in one sense but inevitable in another occurred as part of an infinite sequence of events. Today I reject belief in the infinite regress for an infinitely more interesting and personally relevant unfolding of the handiwork of a living God.

Some people, like the goof I entered this thread quoting, will posit inferior placeholders for that God as though their statement, degraded and meant as an absurdity, could cast a shadow on its better, the one they cannot dismiss objectively or settle the case against in any meaningful fashion. They err.

I believe the universe to be the creation of God. I came to believe this after a startling and life altering conversion experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.