toldailytopic: The origin of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, and that's how I typed it. There's nothing gramatically wrong with that sentence. I could be wrong, I was there for maths and science courses. And really Nick, if you are going to go Spelling and Grammar Nazi on me, make sure you are right. It also helps that you don't make any mistakes yourself, like not capitalizing a proper noun.

You are redirecting from the fact that you are a nincompoop. I don't fault you for grammar. As I said before, I too work in applied science, not grammar school. But since you had to be stupid...:dunce:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
You are redirecting from the fact that you are a nincompoop. I don't fault you for grammar. As I said before, I too work in applied science, not grammar school. But since you had to be stupid...:dunce:

Sanitary engineer, right? :D

You know, childishly insulting my intellect with your own stupity doesn't make you any smarter.

bybee

Words

Words

The first time I crested a dune and saw the ocean it changed the way I understood and fathomed space and my physical sense of the world. I can't tell you the why of it, but something in the experience broadened my understanding on a foundational level. This is part of the difficulty in attempting to translate a transcendent moment into the artifice, helpful as it often is, of language.

:think: I'll keep attempting it then...My wife once asked me, irritably and in the midst of an illness that had us both hacking feverishly about our home, how I managed to remain in good spirits. I responded that it isn't something one does, but something one is...how is that applicable here? The answer is that there you appear to be looking for a mechanism to the thing when the thing and mechanism were one and the same. Just as the confrontation/observation was a clear impression of God in the moment that required nothing of me but recognition, so the nature of His expression was unmistakably, integrally a part of the experience.

I rather like approaching it in fits and starts this way. Each time I do I think I capture something different but true to the experience. It will never be a traditional narrative. I don't think it can be. What happened to me in the moment and over the course of my long, dark night isn't the stuff of simple chronological telling and neatly tied epiphany. I don't see how it could be.

I am a talker. I love words. Words are not adequate to describe those moments of " at-one-ness" during which I have experienced the presence of God and who I am becomes an integral and beautiful part of all that is. I used to try desperately to hang on to them, moments of glowing beauty. Now, I accept the gift, say thanks! and re-enter the stuff of my day. Thanks for sharing. blessings, bybee

Last edited:

bybee

Another thought

Another thought

I am a talker. I love words. Words are not adequate to describe those moments of " at-one-ness" during which I have experienced the presence of God and who I am becomes an integral and beautiful part of all that is. I used to try desperately to hang on to them, moments of glowing beauty. Now, I accept the gift, say thanks! and re-enter the stuff of my day. Thanks for sharing. blessings, bybee

One such moment occurred when I was visiting the Chicago Art Museum. I walked down a hallway, rounded a corner and and stopped dead in my tracks. My friend ran right into me. At the end of that hallway was a "Chagall" window. It was blue incarnate! I couldn't bear to leave it. It is still with me! peace, bybee

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The same one you believe in
The God I believe in says that in six days He created the earth and everything in it.

Which kinda makes irrelevant what you say:

Its also possible that God created the first life

are we going to play "tear down each others faith" again? Oh goodie . . . . :plain:

Where have I ever "torn down your faith"?

You readily admit that you do not believe the six days account. You leave it to chance whether or not God was involved in the creation of life on earth. The parts where your faith does not line up with the bible are of your own making and you support them vigorously. Quit crying because people are able to read what you believe and are able to recognise its divergence from what they believe.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about to say the moving creatures you can see in pond water are in any way "simple". They're simpler than multicellular organisms but they're still incredibly complex and not completely understood.

That said I think the origin of life from chemicals in a kind of pre-biotic soup MAY be possible, but the beginnings would have been far, far simpler.

None of the organisms we see today could have possibly originated directly from abiogenesis. Someone that says this has no clue about biology. Its like saying mice form from wheat and dirty clothes.

Its also possible that God created the first life, but FYI to readers . . . how life originated has no impact on the Theory of Evolution. It really doesn't matter from a scientific perspective and I believe God is sovereign regardless of how He chose to form life.

I agree with your statement that determining the origin as God doesn't have to lead to the conclusion that evolution wasn't a process he used. The problem I see is that it conflicts with the biblical account, and in a big way. No literal Adam and Eve? No literal fall? No literal promise of a redeemer? While Scripture isn't intended to be a scientific record of creation, God, through Moses, at least provides a narrative of the big picture he wants to communicate - that he created everything. I don't see anything in the creation account that leads me to believe that God meant if figuratively.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2209209 said:
Without a literal Adam, the death of Jesus was in vain.
Some people think the narrative of Genesis contains a good bit of metaphor and that the story of Adam and Eve is a loose chronicle of man's initial state and the disobedience that caused him to lose it--a point of general reference from which a distinct and literal line is observed and diverges that will play a role in the whole of man's redemption. But regardless of where a man comes down on this the death of Christ and its message is the same. We are justly condemned and in need of grace. Man's imperfect nature holds the key to his doom absent that. It is in this imperfection that he will find disobedience and willful self destruction, though Christ's example and simple reason illustrate that at every point he need not.

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What I want to know is where the "metaphor" people switch over.

We have a genealogy going from Adam to Jesus. Is it only Adam that is a metaphor or is there a divide that exists somewhere down the line? Perhaps after Noah 'cos they love to deny that the world was destroyed in a flood as well...

Sozo again

Romans 5 would have to be a metaphor also, which would mean that Jesus never really died on a cross, because Adam is just a "story".

"Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come."

"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous."

Being made righteous, is just a "metaphor"? :sigh:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2209269 said:
Romans 5 would have to be a metaphor also, which would mean that Jesus never really died on a cross, because Adam is just a "story".

"Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come."

"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous."

Being made righteous, is just a "metaphor"? :sigh:
Well said! :up:

People who try to reconcile evolution with the bible are morons.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2209269 said:
...Being made righteous, is just a "metaphor"? :sigh:
No. I think that camp's limitation of the narrative rests with Adam and Eve. The response on this point would be to argue the "act" is disobedience, willful and intentional disobedience as an extension of imperfect understanding and selfish desire. Christ, in the flesh and subject then to the same temptations and limits of that flesh obeyed at every point where man, both at the root and throughout his collective and singular history did not.

I also think there is a third camp here to be had, one that reconciles both perspectives and I suppose I'd be closer to that one in my beliefs, but I fear this is spinning toward something that should probably find its own thread at some point.

ThePhy

How so? bybee
The subject is the origin of life. If bacteria exist, then life has already been created, by whatever means. And from there on it is evolution, which deals with the diversification of life, not its origin.

bybee

Okay

Okay

The subject is the origin of life. If bacteria exist, then life has already been created, by whatever means. And from there on it is evolution, which deals with the diversification of life, not its origin.

I stand corrected. Unless bacteria is the prototype? bybee

ThePhy

I stand corrected. Unless bacteria is the prototype? bybee
Don’t understand your question. Whatever form the first life had, whether it was bacteria, or something else, it was past the “origin of life” stage.

John Mortimer

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 1st, 2009 10:24 AM

toldailytopic: Did life come from non-living matter, or was life created? And why do you believe what you believe about the origin of life?

Life was created.

Life coming from non-living matter is Frankenstein.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.