toldailytopic: The origin of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

A question

A question

Don’t understand your question. Whatever form the first life had, whether it was bacteria, or something else, it was past the “origin of life” stage.

origin? beginning? first? prototype? bybee

Alate_One

I agree with your statement that determining the origin as God doesn't have to lead to the conclusion that evolution wasn't a process he used. The problem I see is that it conflicts with the biblical account, and in a big way. No literal Adam and Eve? No literal fall? No literal promise of a redeemer?
Why would you think evolution would automatically mean a non-literal Adam? Why would you think the fall is non-literal or that even if it were non-literal in the context of the Adam and Eve story that it was not symbolic of the global fall of humanity? Couldn't God have chosen two of the first true humans to place into the garden. Or you could believe that God specially created humans alone, taking their form from the apes. There are a myriad of options. I'm not really sold on any particular one of them.

But feel free to learn about some . . . .
Lamoureux

While Scripture isn't intended to be a scientific record of creation, God, through Moses, at least provides a narrative of the big picture he wants to communicate - that he created everything. I don't see anything in the creation account that leads me to believe that God meant if figuratively.

I don't think it was "meant" entirely figuratively, however that doesn't mean that it isn't ultimately figurative. We have to remember that the culture that produced Genesis is not the same one that produced the gospel. The difference between "Fact" and "figurative" was not the same sort of bright line that we have today.

ThePhy

origin? beginning? first? prototype? bybee
I am not particularly good at divining what is meant by a series of single disconnected words. How about actually making a coherent sentence that expresses your idea or asks a question?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Did life come from non-living matter, or was life created? And why do you believe what you believe about the origin of life?
* Cosmological argument:

• Everything that had a beginning has a cause.
• The universe had a beginning.
• Therefore, the universe had a cause.

Design argument:

• Every design has a designer.
• The universe—and life—has a highly complex design.
• Therefore, there is a Great Designer.

Moral argument

• Moral laws require a lawgiver
• Absolute moral laws exist.
• Therefore, there is an absolute Moral Lawgiver.

Full text: 10 Q & A on Atheism and Agnosticism pamphlet http://www.vananne.com/culttoasters/Atheism and Agnosticism.PDF

Also see:

Evidence of God by Lee Strobel (Tract) http://www.vananne.com/culttoasters/Evidence of God.htm

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
The problem is non-living material is not "nothing", it is SOMETHING.
Aren't you our resident PhD (phenomenal dud [Rogers])? Where do you get your mass?

Scientists admit that they do not know what over 90% of the universe is. They don't know what it is and they don't know how to find out what it is. Yet, some are sure that something came from nothing and God had no hand in creation. I'll go with what God says (Ge 1:1).

Last edited:

Alate_One

Aren't you our resident PhD (phenomenal dud [Rogers])? Where do you get your mass?
There are more PhDs than me here. From matter. Matter = something.

Scientists admit that they do not know what over 90% of the universe is.
They're using dark matter and dark energy to balance their equations, I'm not sure it exists at all.

They don't know what it is and they don't know how to find out what it is. Yet, some are sure that something came from nothing. I'll go with what God says (Ge 1:1).
Even the Big bang isn't something from nothing. I understand that most people interpret Biblical creation as something from nothing . . . . so . . .why are you having an issue again?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Matter = something.
Science 101: Everything that has a beginning has a cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with a first cause. If you'd like us to believe another theory, please provide us with matter (and no borrowing God's; you'll have to get your own).

Status
Not open for further replies.