toldailytopic: The Pope. Who is he to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfly

The pope is a false religious leader, who leads a Satanically influenced religion that has and is taking millions of people to hell.

alwight

@OP
My grandfather was a staunch Northern Irish Protestant Orangeman whose hatred for “Popery” knew no bounds. As an occasional visitor to NI, I couldn’t understand the apparent mindless hatred that went on there.
Some of this attitude seems to be mirrored here on TOL thanks to the various religious presuppositions.
Religion underneath its façade imo it seems at times is a seething caldron of hate and bigotry.

For me the Pope is a funny little man in funny clothes who seems to have found his way to the pinnacle of his own brand of organised religion.

Since he does represent that religion perhaps he should take responsibility for the misdeeds of his underlings but he is no cynical astute businessman CEO, I think he probably just plays out his role from his delusion and fantasy.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
God bless the Pope, bishop of Rome, vicar of Christ, servant of the servants of God.

Most of the rest of you can go jump in a lake.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there have been many anti-Catholic threads
but
this one like none of the others shows how widespread the hatred is
for
the Catholic Church

Selaphiel

alwight said:
My grandfather was a staunch Northern Irish Protestant Orangeman whose hatred for “Popery” knew no bounds. As an occasional visitor to NI, I couldn’t understand the apparent mindless hatred that went on there.
Some of this attitude seems to be mirrored here on TOL thanks to the various religious presuppositions.
Religion underneath its façade imo it seems at times is a seething caldron of hate and bigotry.

Seems more like something you would like religion to be, because then your disdain for it might have been more justified. Religion might be poison when mixed with politics of separation just like metal becomes brittle when mixed with impurities. If you think Christianity is about hatred, you have misunderstood something.
I'm a protestant, I consider the Pope to be the Bishop of Rome and leader of the Catholic church. Personally I do not agree that he is the Vicar of Christ, but he is a servant of Christ and my brother in Christ. That we might view some things differently does not change that fact.

alwight

Seems more like something you would like religion to be, because then your disdain for it might have been more justified. Religion might be poison when mixed with politics of separation just like metal becomes brittle when mixed with impurities. If you think Christianity is about hatred, you have misunderstood something.
Actually I inferred that it seems that way sometimes, the religion itself says one thing and its flock will often do something else, I am mainly talking about the flock here. From fear and hatred of another group of Christians it seems and, simply by “them” being “not us” and perhaps by having different ways of seeking God's approval, "what if they're right and we're wrong?".
I have no preconceived preferences, likes or dislikes about religion per se other than they’re all rubbish of course. You might agree with me on that, on all bar yours of course.

I'm a protestant, I consider the Pope to be the Bishop of Rome and leader of the Catholic church. Personally I do not agree that he is the Vicar of Christ, but he is a servant of Christ and my brother in Christ. That we might view some things differently does not change that fact.
Good for you.:e4e:

Selaphiel

alwight said:
Actually I inferred that it seems that way sometimes, the religion itself says one thing and its flock will often do something else, I am mainly talking about the flock here. From fear and hatred of another group of Christians it seems and, simply by “them” being “not us” and perhaps by having different ways of seeking God's approval, "what if they're right and we're wrong?".
I have no preconceived preferences, likes or dislikes about religion per se other than they’re all rubbish of course. You might agree with me on that, on all bar yours of course.

I understand that you are referring to the "us and them" dynamic. That is not justifiable for a follower of Christ. We are commanded to even love people we disagree with so much that we consider them enemies.
And no I do not agree with you. I would have to be more arrogant than most to think that every way of thinking that is not like mine is rubbish. My path is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. That means I should love my neighbor to the best of my ability.

keypurr

I understand that you are referring to the "us and them" dynamic. That is not justifiable for a follower of Christ. We are commanded to even love people we disagree with so much that we consider them enemies.
And no I do not agree with you. I would have to be more arrogant than most to think that every way of thinking that is not like mine is rubbish. My path is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. That means I should love my neighbor to the best of my ability.

AMEN :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.