toldailytopic: The Pope. Who is he to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdgareth

Who he is to me?

- Pope is an old guy, elected by some other old guys to be boss

- Wear's a dress.

- Does not believe in the use of condoms (lets just be real kids all over the world are having sex)

- My catholic accountant is driven mad and living with guilt because she is divorced and therefore very wrong but a catholic murderer can be saved.

- Represents one of the most powerful banks in the world the Vatican bank.

- Has his own secret service

- Oh yeah and he covers up for child molesters

All in the Name of God?

Then again, what do I know, I'm only a newbie :juggle:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the one with the keys
the one with the power to bind and loose
the one who settles all arguments

everready

the one with the keys
the one with the power to bind and loose
the one who settles all arguments

These keys?

While nothing but judicial infatuation can account for the credulity of the Christians in regarding these keys as emblems of an exclusive power given by Christ to the Pope through Peter, it is not difficult to see how the Pagans would rally round the Pope all the more readily when they heard him found his power on the possession of Peter's keys. The keys that the Pope bore were the keys of a "Peter" well known to the Pagans initiated in the Chaldean Mysteries.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/sect61.htm

everready

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 26th, 2010 10:09 AM

toldailytopic: The Pope. Who is he to you?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
A moderator for a denomination.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Absolute dictator of the roman state church, and most certainly not holding any sort of apostolic authority.

Can you tell I don't mind being blunt? :noway:

Before anyone accuses me of it (with no evidence, to boot), no, I don't hate roman catholics.
I see slight hint of doubts from historians regarding who was the second, third and fourth Pope on top of whether not Peter is the first Pope. That uncertainty breaks apostolic successions. Split denominations starts over and ordianed from scratch due to lost connections of real successions.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
A man voted in by people I don't know, who were put in office by others I don't know, who furthered their alleged holiness through those I don't know, venerated by people I don't know.

All I know is that the Scriptures state that where two gather, Christ is there, and who is some guy I don't know telling me otherwise? That's the spirit of Protestantism- Francis came over here and basically dissed us, calling us narcissistic because we won't let every Latino into the country. ~Who are all Catholic~ by the way. No coincidence there.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I see slight hint of doubts from historians regarding who was the second, third and fourth Pope on top of whether not Peter is the first Pope. That uncertainty breaks apostolic successions. Split denominations starts over and ordianed from scratch due to lost connections of real successions.

Apostolic succession refers to the succession of bishops in general. Even if there is doubt about who the second, third or fourth pope was, this alone doesn't confer doubt that, for any given set of bishops, that there was another bishop or set of bishops who ordained them, and this succession of ordinations ultimately traces back to Jesus and the apostles.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Apostolic succession refers to the succession of bishops in general. Even if there is doubt about who the second, third or fourth pope was, this alone doesn't confer doubt that, for any given set of bishops, that there was another bishop or set of bishops who ordained them, and this succession of ordinations ultimately traces back to Jesus and the apostles.
If the historians are loose in who is the Pope then that goes for anyone in the early church. With all those bishops you listed, why isn't there multiple popes now?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
If the historians are loose in who is the Pope then that goes for anyone in the early church. With all those bishops you listed, why isn't there multiple popes now?

I believe that you are misunderstanding me.

It's as though I claimed that the cats today ultimately can trace their generation to some previous cat or set of cats, and you objected, saying: "Yeah, but which cat came from which cat? You don't know!"

I'd shrug my shoulders and say: "Dunno, but the fact is, for any given cat, it came from some cat."

In order to cast doubt on apostolic succession, you'd have to show me some period of time after Jesus and the Apostles in which there were no validly ordained bishops.

Status
Not open for further replies.