toldailytopic: Theology. What is the single most important bit of theology to have ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 5th, 2010 10:58 AM

toldailytopic: Theology. What is the single most important bit of theology to have accurate?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

assuranceagent

:think: Hmmm...that's a tough one.

I guess I'd say Harmartiology. If you understand the nature of sin and it's consequences, it forms the foundation upon which everything else is built.

The Graphite

What is the specific gospel message needed to be understood to be saved. That would be the most important, first for your own salvation, and second to share with others. Everything else pales.

assuranceagent

Well, I would agree that the gospel as a whole is the most important aspect of the Christian faith, but the OP question specified the "single most important bit of theology"...

The gospel encompasses nearly the whole of theology. You have Deity, Harmatiology (sin), Soteriology (salvation), etc, etc...

In other words, it's not a "single bit" of theology, but rather a systematic cohesion of a number of separate, but similarly important bits.

The question, as I understand it, is which of those single bits is the most important to understand?

My actual answer would be that one is not more important than another, for the most part, and that we must seek to understand all of them to the greatest of our ability. In fact, I believe that much of the error in Christian theology comes from emphasizing one bit of theology over another, or one attribute of God over others. But I get the impression that the question was meant as a "if you had to choose only one" sort of scenario.

I chose sin because it leads us into all the others.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:think: Hmmm...that's a tough one.

I guess I'd say Harmartiology. If you understand the nature of sin and it's consequences, it forms the foundation upon which everything else is built.

I think theology (study of God) must be theo/christocentric first. There is no use talking about sin to an atheist if they deny the existence of a holy God. The doctrine of God and a sound Christology is the starting place. Some cults have a sound anthropology (anthropocentric focus: man/sin)/harmartiology, but are unsaved because of a defective Christology (essential truth).

If I had to pick one area, it would be the Deity of Christ (I Cor. 15 also makes His bodily resurrection salvific truth). Salvation is found in no other name, so trusting the genuine vs counterfeit Christ is the key (2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:6-10; Jude 3; Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12; Rom. 10:9-10). It is possible to have different nuanced incarnational view, impeccability of Christ views, etc. without denying basic truth of His person and work.

By way of application, I think a non-trinitarian modalist can be saved because they affirm the person and work of Christ, unlike Arian JWs or polytheistic Mormons. I personally reject Augustinian 'original sin' views, but I do not deny the biblical truths that we are universally sinners in need of a sinless Savior.

God in Christ specifically (vs generic 'God') is the crux doctrine, not sin. The gospel does involve truths about God, man, Christ, repentant faith (Rom. 1:16) and is the power of God to salvation. Our friend is correct that all truths become important in relation to personal salvation, but the starting point is God, not man.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Could build a good answer off of this, I'm thinking.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In other words, it's not a "single bit" of theology, but rather a systematic cohesion of a number of separate, but similarly important bits.

Wouldn't that be a 'byte' of theology?

:think:

Maybe a few kilobytes.

toldailytopic: Theology. What is the single most important bit of theology to have accurate?

'Nobody gets to the Father except through Him'.

Gurucam

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Could build a good answer off of this, I'm thinking.

Yes, seems reasonable.

Know Jesus and know that He is not alive on earth as a man.

So how would you know Him?

In Spirit as Paul connected with Him?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

I'd have to say this.......but without the "look at me I r teh theologian" hoity-toity word. :plain:

;)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I think theology (study of God) must be theo/christocentric first. There is no use talking about sin to an atheist if they deny the existence of a holy God. The doctrine of God and a sound Christology is the starting place. Some cults have a sound anthropology (anthropocentric focus: man/sin)/harmartiology, but are unsaved because of a defective Christology (essential truth).

Just as there are plenty of Unsaved sitting in Pews every day who could expound at great length upon the existence of a Holy GOD & the Relationship of OUR LORD and yet think that they are going to "Heaven" because they are in Church every Sunday....Tithe...and my personal favorite: Keep the Ten Commandments :idunno:

....now that we have established that no single point of theology carries full Saving efficacy. :plain:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Just as there are plenty of Unsaved sitting in Pews every day who could expound at great length upon the existence of a Holy GOD & the Relationship of OUR LORD and yet think that they are going to "Heaven" because they are in Church every Sunday....Tithe...and my personal favorite: Keep the Ten Commandments :idunno:

....now that we have established that no single point of theology carries full Saving efficacy. :plain:

You would be hard pressed to find an evangelical who tithes to earn salvation or who thinks they can keep the Decalogue in letter and spirit (including Sabbath...most are not Sabbatarians) to gain heaven.

You would be hard pressed to find a nominal, liberal believer who would tithe or not rationalize away God's moral law.

A Mormon can tithe and try to keep the commands, would talk about sin and faith, but are unsaved because of having false gods and a false Christ/gospel.

Jews also try to keep these things, but reject the Messiah as Deity and the triune God (progressive revelation).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You would be hard pressed to find an evangelical who tithes to earn salvation or who thinks they can keep the Decalogue in letter and spirit (including Sabbath...most are not Sabbatarians) to gain heaven.

Stop by....I'll introduce you to a few. :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.