toldailytopic: Tiger Woods. Do you think he is truly repentant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 8th, 2010 09:52 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

Wow, that's pretty pathetic.

Look, I get it. A guy's going to be tempted. I totally get that. And if you have the money and the celebrity there's going to be a whole lot of temptation thrown right at your feet. I totally get that, too.

But something like this really limits my ability to cut you any slack. This guy's caught up in himself and I can't see someone like that ever being repentant. There's no room for repentance.

Off subject I have to ask...where the hell was this guy's wife in all this? She obviously cared or she wouldn't have taken a golf club after him, so where the heck was she?

You think if my husband were that famous, that rich and was jetting around all over the place for days on end I wouldn't be there? With a golf club handy to beat the whores in the head that came sniffin' around? I wouldn't expect my husband, in that situation, not to be tempted. But I guarantee you there'd be zero opportunity.

Moreover and back to the point a bit, my husband would want me there for precisely that reason. He wouldn't want to be tempted in the first place but barring that, he'd want me there with that golf club handy so there'd be no opportunity. So I don't cut Tiger Woods any slack on that count either. He should have been mindful of the trouble waiting to snare him and had his wife along to support him.

What, was she too busy? Doing what? Dude's rich! She had no other responsibilities that could possibly have superseded that. You let your rich, famous husband run about for days on end while you're back at the mansion getting your nails done or whatever? Then whine and cry when you find out he's been cattin' around? Seriously? What did you expect?!

My husband isn't rich or famous but he's well known around these parts. The ladies his age just love him to bits. He's a good guy, of which there are far too few these days. And I consider it part of my duty to him as a wife to be there to scare off the desperate divorcees.

That it's so much fun is beside the point.

Point is that they both failed and this is what you get from that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I admit I am a bit surprised they haven't waited longer to try and polish this turd. I mean seriously... it seems like just yesterday we were hearing about his 16th mistress.

Normally, they wait a bit longer because they know the public is so stupid they will just forget all the evil stuff he did and welcome him right back into the fold.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Tiger's a scumbag and a particularly brazen one. He doesn't regret a thing that he did, he's simply annoyed he had to run the gauntlet.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I admit I am a bit surprised they haven't waited longer to try and polish this turd. I mean seriously... it seems like just yesterday we were hearing about his 16th mistress.

Normally, they wait a bit longer because they know the public is so stupid they will just forget all the evil stuff he did and welcome him right back into the fold.

they worship golf

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I think that he is truly sorry - that he got caught.

I also think that the biggest lesson he learned is that he will need to be MUCH more discrete with future affairs.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One thing's for sure: you can't trust a word famous people say. Most people thought Tiger was a man of virtue. With him going down, hopefully people in general will quit exalting so-called stars.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think he is sorry he got caught and agree with Granite ... the guy is a scumbag.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
One thing's for sure: you can't trust a word famous people say. Most people thought Tiger was a man of virtue. With him going down, hopefully people in general will quit exalting so-called stars.

that isn't going to happen

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Taking care of their two children. As I understand, she is very devoted to raising her own kids.

Shows how much I've followed this whole thing, that I didn't even know they had kids. Still...she should have devoted a bit of her time to keeping hubby in line.

I bet some will object to my "keeping hubby in line" thing but I stand fast that it's part of the job. In fact, I'll argue wives have a larger duty in that regard and that women generally are tasked with keeping men to standard. And vice versa, certainly, but I think not nearly to the same extent.

But if I really wanted to be controversial I'd have worded it differently, saying instead that men are dogs and need to be housebroken.

Which probably illustrates how my once diehard feminism has warped a bit since I came to Christ. I would once have said they just need to chained up in the backyard. :chuckle:

The Berean

Tiger's a scumbag and a particularly brazen one. He doesn't regret a thing that he did, he's simply annoyed he had to run the gauntlet.

Unfortunately many pro athletes fall under the "scumbag" category, (Shawn Kemp, Magic Johnson, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesberger, Kirby Puckett, etc.) Every major pro sports has them.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Truly repentant. Maybe...When he thinks about all that extra cash flow that he had. And the Buick's he had for loaners.

I think he has repented, since he has re-committed himself to Buddhism. :plain:

Yes in a way . . . It's Bud-ism, Bud-ism: Golf buddies. Which I suppose some are glad he's back; others are :mmph: about the competition being back; still others, will learn from his mistakes and example (maybe he'll give lessons, shame on me). I do not think Bud-ism will show him the door.​

I forgive him
but
I won't forgive all those who continue to talk about him

That could be a long list.​

While we wait to hear public sentiment . . .

Extra! Extra! Pete Rose is inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

President Barak Obama converts to the real thing . . . Christianity.

USAC/IRL will outlaw rear engine cars, and resurrect the Kurtis Kraft, Watson, Kuzma and Saliah (pronounced Sally) Indy 500 roadsters with Offenhauser engines.

. . . Then I awoke from my dream.​

I think that he is truly sorry - that he got caught.

I also think that the biggest lesson he learned is that he will need to be MUCH more discrete with future affairs.

Those are the operative words: Sorry - He got caught.

If we say, we don't care about Tiger Wood. Then don't.
If we say, I'll not watch Tiger Wood. Then don't.
If we say, that all this Tiger Wood stuff is Stuff. Then leave it alone.

Because if we say those things and do not keep our word and are found out, we'll only be sorry we got caught, and will only be talking out of the side of our mouth hypocrites.​

For myself . . . There have things in my life that I have done, yes I was sorry I got caught; but then one day it all changed because of Jesus. After I very tearfully repented and confessed all that stuff to Jesus, and accepted Him as my Savior, I made things right with as many as possible.

Yes I still have those days when I am less than a Christian, and I find that Jesus is my for and greater Savior, forgiver.​

Status
Not open for further replies.