toldailytopic: Water baptism: what is it's place today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus certainly preached the requirement for water baptism, no doubt.
But he definitely didn't say this...
He said that unless a man is baptized of the water and the spirit he will not see the kingdom of God.

In what version of the Bible do you see Jesus saying this to Nicodemus?

Alate_One

Just when I thought you couldn't get any more out of left field . . . . .

So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed'?

I love this, every one of your "supporting verses" is out of context and *I'm* the one warping scripture. :rotfl:

Baptism is a public symbol of our acceptance of Christ. In immersion baptism we are symbolically buried and raised to life in Christ. In sprinkling, symbolically sprinkled with the blood of Christ.

The point of baptism is PUBLIC acknowledgment of one's acceptance of Christ, not remission of sins.

Here is what the Didache (one of the earliest documents describing church practice, possibly written around the same time as Matthew's gospel) says about baptism.

7:1 But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize.
7:2 Having first recited all these things, baptize {in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit} in living (running) water.
7:3 But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water;
7:4 and if thou art not able in cold, then in warm.
7:5 But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
7:6 But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any others also who are able;
7:7 and thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.

ProphecyKid

Jesus certainly preached the requirement for water baptism, no doubt.
But he definitely didn't say this...

In what version of the Bible do you see Jesus saying this to Nicodemus?

KJV

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:5 (New International Version)

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

John 3:5 (American Standard Version)

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God!

John 3:5 (English Standard Version)

5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born(A) of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

bybee

Well...

Well...

Unless, of course you are an open theist...in which case God can and does regularly change his mind...

Weren't there some Greek gods that did the same sort of thing?:D

Let's see now, I changed my mind. I shall have my eggs scrambled instead of an omelet. Have I made a mistake? bybee

john w

Hall of Fame
Just when I thought you couldn't get any more out of left field . . . . .

So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed'?

I love this, every one of your "supporting verses" is out of context and *I'm* the one warping scripture. :rotfl:

Baptism is a public symbol of our acceptance of Christ. In immersion baptism we are symbolically buried and raised to life in Christ. In sprinkling, symbolically sprinkled with the blood of Christ.

The point of baptism is PUBLIC acknowledgment of one's acceptance of Christ, not remission of sins.

Here is what the Didache (one of the earliest documents describing church practice, possibly written around the same time as Matthew's gospel) says about baptism.

7:1 But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize.
7:2 Having first recited all these things, baptize {in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit} in living (running) water.
7:3 But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water;
7:4 and if thou art not able in cold, then in warm.
7:5 But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
7:6 But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any others also who are able;
7:7 and thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.

_
'So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed'?"-Alate

So, the entire world, including most "scientists", were wrong about the earth being flat, until we "discovered" it was a sphere? Objective truth is not, nor does it become, objective truth, when/if we discover it-it goes on eternally, regardless of whether anyone acknowledges/discovers it, or not. And objective truth is independent of "popularity"/concensus. If this were not the case, then you must "argue" that Christianity is false, since most of the world rejects it.

greatdivide46

Water baptism's place today is the same as it was in the New Testament. There is no such thing in the New Testament as a person who became a Christian without being baptized. Up until the time of Zwingli, the entire church understood that when someone was baptized their sins were forgiven and they received the gift of the Holy Spirit (see Acts 2:38).

As far as baptism being an outward sign of an inward occurrence, I have yet to find that thought anywhere in scripture. Therefore, I reject it.

Alate_One

_
'So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed'?"-Alate
So, the entire world, including most "scientists", were wrong about the earth being flat, until we "discovered" it was a sphere?
They had an incorrect understanding of a physical reality i.e. they were wrong. The problem with assuming that Christians down through the ages have had an incorrect understanding of spiritual truth is you begin to set yourself up as a cult. You start to make claims like Mormons do. The "everyone is wrong but us" mentality, within Christianity is dangerous to the faith and is what causes splinter groups.

I make no claim that I have the only right answers, but I do know when something is clearly wrong. Claiming baptism has no place in the modern church is clearly wrong.

And objective truth is independent of "popularity"/concensus.
If consensus is without value, how then do you decide what composes the Bible?

Consensus and examination of experts can help you figure out what the most likely correct approach is. The early church councils are a reasonable example of such a group of experts

If this were not the case, then you must "argue" that Christianity is false, since most of the world rejects it.

I don't base anything on popularity in the general population. That would be stupid.

When we look at the Didache, its a reflection of Christian tradition, and very early Christian tradition. If you're going to argue THEY misunderstood something so basic as baptism, during the time the apostles were still alive, why do you have any reason to think that YOU 2000+ years later understand it better?

OneGodInChrist

Why does Jesus promote water baptism so much? He said that unless a man is baptized of the water and the spirit he will not see the kingdom of God. Jesus also said that he who believes and is baptized shall be saved. In the book of Acts we are given many examples of people being baptized for the remission of sins. Jesus great gospel commision instructs to baptize in the name of the father, son and holy ghost.

What I see folks doing here is taking some piece of scripture that seems to say what they want it to say and neglect the plain and obvious words of Jesus. You cannot use the bible to support any claim that water baptism is no longer relevant. How do you think Jesus feels after coming here, being baptized as an example, commanding his disciples to baptize, stating that a man must be baptized of water and spirit, only for some to say that it has no relevance now?

Water baptism has as much relevance now as it did when Jesus walked the face of the earth. If Jesus said it then I believe it and that settles it.

Agreed.

Scripture plainly teaches that baptism is "for the remission of sins" Act. 2:38

"putting off the body of the sins of the flesh" Col. 2:11

To "wash away thy sins" Acts 22:16

Mar 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

We must put away ALL preconceived ideas and notions in order to properly interpret Scripture.

Baptism is such a wonderful experience, why try to reject it's necessity? If we'll just be obedient, God will bless us and we can experience the wonderful salvation He offers.

Cracked

"Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

It has a place in obedience to the one you profess to love.

john w

Hall of Fame
They had an incorrect understanding of a physical reality i.e. they were wrong. The problem with assuming that Christians down through the ages have had an incorrect understanding of spiritual truth is you begin to set yourself up as a cult. You start to make claims like Mormons do. The "everyone is wrong but us" mentality, within Christianity is dangerous to the faith and is what causes splinter groups.

I make no claim that I have the only right answers, but I do know when something is clearly wrong. Claiming baptism has no place in the modern church is clearly wrong.

If consensus is without value, how then do you decide what composes the Bible?

Consensus and examination of experts can help you figure out what the most likely correct approach is. The early church councils are a reasonable example of such a group of experts

I don't base anything on popularity in the general population. That would be stupid.

When we look at the Didache, its a reflection of Christian tradition, and very early Christian tradition. If you're going to argue THEY misunderstood something so basic as baptism, during the time the apostles were still alive, why do you have any reason to think that YOU 2000+ years later understand it better?
_

"So, the entire world, including most "scientists", were wrong about the earth being flat, until we "discovered" it was a sphere?"-John W

"They had an incorrect understanding of a physical reality i.e. they were wrong."--Alate

So, you withdraw your 'So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed'? "argument"(loosely used here)? No? Fine, by that "argument",

So, the entire church, including the protestants have been wrong until . . . when was this 'revealed', as they had an incorrect understanding of rightly dividing the word of truth.

Check.

Any other "arguments?"

john w

Hall of Fame
"I make no claim that I have the only right answers, but I do know when something is clearly wrong. Claiming baptism has no place in the modern church is clearly wrong."-Alate_One

"clearly wrong" is a crafty dismissal, not an argument.

"If consensus is without value, how then do you decide what composes the Bible?"-Alate_One

You presuppose that man is responsible for the Holy Bible. That's secular humanism. That is what Romans say. Consensus does not determine truth. The Pharisees said the same thing.

"Consensus and examination of experts can help you figure out what the most likely correct approach is. The early church councils are a reasonable example of such a group of experts."-Alate_One

No, Paul realized that apostasy would soon set in, "before the ink had dried", and he left this graveyard:

"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock." Acts 20:29

Alate_One

"I make no claim that I have the only right answers, but I do know when something is clearly wrong. Claiming baptism has no place in the modern church is clearly wrong."-Alate_One

"clearly wrong" is a crafty dismissal, not an argument.
Clearly wrong isn't an argument, it isn't intended to be. Baptism is so foundational, there should not BE an argument over whether it should be practiced or not!

Go back and read your Bible. Tell me where Christ's clear command to go and baptize is negated for all time.

"If consensus is without value, how then do you decide what composes the Bible?"-Alate_One

You presuppose that man is responsible for the Holy Bible. That's secular humanism. That is what Romans say. Consensus does not determine truth. The Pharisees said the same thing.
I do not say "man is responsible for the Bible". But the fact remains the books that we consider canon were chosen by a church council, a council of experts. Do I believe God guided their decision? Certainly, but lets not pretend the Bible dropped out of the sky in its current form.

"Consensus and examination of experts can help you figure out what the most likely correct approach is. The early church councils are a reasonable example of such a group of experts."-Alate_One

No, Paul realized that apostasy would soon set in, "before the ink had dried", and he left this graveyard:

"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock." Acts 20:29

And this doesn't describe the horrible persecution of the early church by the Romans? That doesn't sound like apostasy to me, that would be "and many of you will wander away from the true faith". Secondly, what does this have to do with baptism?

john w

Hall of Fame
Clearly wrong isn't an argument, it isn't intended to be. Baptism is so foundational, there should not BE an argument over whether it should be practiced or not!

Go back and read your Bible. Tell me where Christ's clear command to go and baptize is negated for all time.

I do not say "man is responsible for the Bible". But the fact remains the books that we consider canon were chosen by a church council, a council of experts. Do I believe God guided their decision? Certainly, but lets not pretend the Bible dropped out of the sky in its current form.
_
"Clearly wrong isn't an argument, it isn't intended to be. Baptism is so foundational, there should not BE an argument over whether it should be practiced or not!Go back and read your Bible. Tell me where Christ's clear command to go and baptize is negated for all time."-Alate_One

Fine. By that "argument", show us the water:

"But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

Show us the water:

"And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;" 1 Cor. 10:2

Want more?

You are clueless as to the meaning of baptism. It started in the OT-it was an OT concept, and one of the requirements of the law of Moses.

"Go back and read your Bible."-Alate_One

Got me there-shut down closer.

Show us "where Christ's clear command to"

"And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them." Mt 8:4

Show yourself to a Levitical priest, offer the gift?

Do you...
-tithe approximately 33% of your net worth(not your income-the law demanded 33=% of your net worth)?(or perhaps you send in 33=% of all your net worth to TBN) -selling all you have: Mt. 19:21;Mk. 10:21; Luke 12:33?
-Do you "...love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might...."(Deut 6:5, Mt. 22:37, Mark 12:30)?
Or better yet, do you love me as yourself(Mt. 22:39, Mark 12:31)?
-Keep the Sabbath lately(Exodus 31:15, 35:2; Lev. 19:30)?
-Have you gone to any Gentiles lately(Mt. 10:5,6)?
-Have you obeyed the Lord Jesus Christ's "charge" to "...tell no man that he was the Christ"(Mt. 16:20)? -Condemned anyone recently(Luke 6:37)?
-Ever called someone a fool(Mt. 5:22)?
-Have you brought any gifts to the altar recently(Mt. 5:24)?
-Do you travel to Jerusalem 3 times a year to keep the feasts of Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles(Exodus 23:14)?

"Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not." Mt. 23:2,3/Galatians 1:4

Do you do Mt. 5:29,30?

Do you follow the Lord Jesus Christ in circumcision(Luke 2:21)? Do you follow Him in going to the synagogue on the Sabbath day(Luke 4:16)?

Have you sold all your possessions? The Lord Jesus Christ commanded his disciples to:

Command given: Mt. 19:21' Mk. 10:21;Luke 12:33,18:22 Command obeyed: Mt. 19:27;Mk. 10:28;Luke 5:11, 18:28; Acts
2:44-45,4:32,34
Penalty for disobedience-death-Acts 5:1-11

Do you have "...all things common...": Acts 2:44, 4:32-34, 3:6

The Lord Jesus Christ taught the law-Mt.-John, at least prior to the d,b,r, was all "law ground."

You, sir, fail to "rightly divide the word of truth(2 Tim. 2:15)". All scripture is written "for our learning"(Romans 15:4), but not for obedience(scripture does distinguish 3 classes-1 Cor. 10:32). You "pick and choose" -everyone does. If you deny this, there is no truth in you.

God COMMANDS us to rightly divide this word of truth, distinguishing the prophetic program from the mystery program(Romans 16:25, Eph. 3:9, Col. 1:26,27....)

Do you offer animal sacrifices? The Lord Jesus Christ taught this. Do you tithe over 33%(the tithe was not just 10%) of your assets(the tithe was on all your assets, not just your income) to the Levitical priesthood? The Lord Jesus Christ taught this. Do you go to Jerusalem on the feast of Pentecost, Passover, and Tabernacles?(if you are a male, this is a requirement of the Law). The Lord Jesus Christ taught this. How about the 613 commandments of the law(not just 10-there were 613). Do you keep them all? How many have you broken? The list goes on and on.............. Your self-righteousness, as with the Pharisees, comes through loud and clear. Do you follow ALL of the Lord Jesus Christ's teachings? The Law has not convicted you yet if you answer yes.

Repeating:Water baptism was one of the righteous requirements of the law, explaining:

"And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him." Mt. 3:15

"And this doesn't describe the horrible persecution of the early church by the Romans? That doesn't sound like apostasy to me, that would be "and many of you will wander away from the true faith". Secondly, what does this have to do with baptism?"--Alate_One

Lovely. You argue...

I responded:

Know your own "argument." "the horrible persecution of the early church by the Romans? " is not apostasy. Next.

" Certainly, but lets not pretend the Bible dropped out of the sky in its current form."

That's secular humanism-man is responsible for the conveying, and for the subsequent preservation of the word of God. The LORD God created the universe, warms the heart of a mother from the smile of her "little one", saves (formerly) no good, rotten sinners such as myself, raises the dead......and yet He just could not convey His word without man's help......

Priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.