toldailytopic: What is the main reason(s) you accept, or reject, God that exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyver

From Granite's Ask a Satanist thread:

Granite has beliefs. Knight asked him why he believes what he does. Granite basically responded he believes what he does because he sees no evidence that God exists.

Get it now?
Ohhhhhhh, I didn't realize Granite had those beliefs. I apologize then. Everything I said is still accurate though, regarding atheism.

MacGyver

Atheists lack belief in an external deity. It's not that they don't believe anything at all.
Atheism is strictly the lack of a belief in theism. Atheists as people can have other beliefs, sure, but "atheism" itself is the lack of a belief as opposed to a belief.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That He is personal and loving...I can elaborate on that if you wish.
I take it you are referring to Jesus being divine? God taking the form of a man and walking among us? But feel free to elaborate.

It is known as the argument from desire. While it is not logically airtight, it is existentially powerful. It is essential in the argument to make a distinction between natural desires (desires that are universal to human experience...the things mentioned above) and unnatural ones (desires held by portions of humanity...I want a Ferrari).
Right, that distinction should be made, but that begs the question if a desire for the supernatural, something beyond this, is a universal desire or not.

elohiym

Atheism is strictly the lack of a belief in theism. Atheists as people can have other beliefs, sure, but "atheism" itself is the lack of a belief as opposed to a belief.

Great! then all the atheists can save thread space by not posting in this thread since we now know that all of you don't accept the existence of God because you see no evidence for God (evidence being undefined).

Thank you for not participating.

DocJohnson

Atheism is the religion of the superiority of Man which denies the existence of a Supreme Deity.

One Eyed Jack

This is more of an excuse to avoid debate than an argument unto itself. It rests on the notion that a negative can't be proven, thus relieving atheists of the burden of supporting their beliefs. Personally, I think it's pretty weak.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is more of an excuse to avoid debate than an argument unto itself. It rests on the notion that a negative can't be proven, thus relieving atheists of the burden of supporting their beliefs. Personally, I think it's pretty weak.

but the weak part is not recognizing that something had to start all this

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, but I'm talking about the argument that a negative can't be proven. I can prove I'm not a woman by simply pulling down my pants. So much for that one.
Well... based on that post you can bet that topic will never be selected as a Topic of the Day. :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Those who disagree stand by their belief that something cannot come from nothing. But they cannot tell us where the first somethign came from. And two answers I have seen already speak to my reasoning; order does not come from chaos, and I have known Him all my life.

allsmiles

I do not believe in any gods.

I do not believe in a creator god because I feel very strongly that such a theory self-destructs almost immediately:

In order to have created the vast complexity of the universe, a creator god would have to be immeasurably more complex than its creation. On one hand, creationists posit that the complexity of the universe cannot be eternal and that it could not have arisen from nothing as it is too complex. On the other hand, an immeasurably more complex creator god is eternal/uncreated. What is impossible on one hand is possible on the other, only to an immeasurably greater degree. This kind of incoherent, self-destructing logic makes it impossible for me to take the idea of a personal creator god seriously.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
No real scientific evidence.

That and talking snakes, people being made from ribs, magic trees, people rising from the dead amongst other things that sound like the stuff of fantasy fiction really wreck the credibility of the Bible.

allsmiles

No real scientific evidence.

That and talking snakes, people being made from ribs, magic trees, people rising from the dead amongst other things that sound like the stuff of fantasy fiction really wreck the credibility of the Bible.

Getting into the specifics of a particular deity strikes me as a little bit off topic... but I like your enthusiasm!

Status
Not open for further replies.