toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps82

The first question that needs answering is this:
What is LIFE?
answer:
God is life.
So to ask - what is the meaning of LIFE is to ask: What is the meaning of God.

The question is about about the LORD God first and us and the rest of created beings second. For actually, all things were made by HIM and FOR HIM...

He deserves all the GLORY for the living things he has chosen to create ... for he has shared himself (LIFE) with us... and then shows us all his mercy ... and his love.

Now, if you were to ask: What was the purpose God may have had for creating human life ... well, I have some ideas about that.

Aimiel

God is Love. The purpose of life is for God to share Himself. His Love is the purpose behind creation. One thing that I've noticed in Scripture, is that He speaks of His Purposes as being eternal. I believe that He planned and built everything and everyone with a specific purpose in mind. Keeping that foremost in your mind makes loving the un-lovely much easier. :thumb:

Ps82

God created mankind ... because HE already had a plan for a savior to restore the fallen earthly and heavenly realms.

Angels were created first ... then 'fell'.
God then created mankind after the likeness of HIS IMAGE ... aka the predestined promised Savior... so that God would ultimately enter the 'fallen' realms through mankind ... so that HE could restore everything.

God cursed Satan to partake of the 'ground' - aka the dust of the world for the rest of his life ... and he cursed mankind to partake of the 'ground' - aka the dust of the world for the rest of his life. (Gen.3)
Then God cursed the 'ground' for the sake of mankind.

Once both angels and men were attached to the elements of creation known as the 'ground' ... then God had only to attach himself to the elements of creation known as the 'ground' to begin fixing the cursed things.

When God manifested himself as his own Son associated with the body of a mortal man (BTW, the body of man was formed from the 'ground') then the process of salvation began.

Satan may have tempted mankind through woman ... but God tempted Satan through mankind. Satan may have thought that he was destroying mankind and tricking God ... but God tricked Satan and destroyed him and his followers through HIS OWN personal use of mankind as the conduit for manifesting the Messiah!

Mat 22:37 Yahshua said to him, "'You shall love YAH your Elohim with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of Elohim, when we love Elohim and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of Elohim, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.

2Jn 1:6 This is love, that we should walk according to his commandments. This is the commandment, even as you heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

Aimiel

Mat 22:37 Yahshua said to him, "'You shall love YAH your Elohim with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of Elohim, when we love Elohim and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of Elohim, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.

2Jn 1:6 This is love, that we should walk according to his commandments. This is the commandment, even as you heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.
What version of Scripture is it you're quoting from? What is your religious affiliation?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I will present a bit more another day.
With all due respect... you are presenting way too much already.

TOL is designed for dialog, i.e., point vs. counter-point.

If you really want to get the most out of TOL, respond to points being made, and make your own points, in "bite-size" portions so that people can respond and then move on to the next point. Very few, if any, read massively large posts and therefore you end up wasting your time, and I certainly don't want you to be wasting your time.

Last edited:

Ps82

David,
Knight is right about long posts ... I'm guilty of such things as well... but I just get so excited at times and full of thoughts that I can't help it.

Here are some points that you made with which I agree:
39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

I so agree ... for all things were made BY HIM and FOR HIM ... and we should appreciate that he created us, saved us, and has allowed us to know him.
When people discuss the meaning of LIFE ... they usually only think about their personal existence ... but LIFE is really about our relationship to God's plans... God first ... us the beneficiaries.

You also wrote:
For one to REALLY KNOW GOD, one must become LIKE GOD!!!

Most Christians would not reject this idea ... as long as one makes it clear that this does not mean that we become EQUAL with God.

I've learned that God grants LIFE ... knowledge and wisdom by measure unto mankind ... withholding things as he desires. If we become perfected for the kingdom and begin to seek God from our hearts ... then God will impart larger measures of his wisdom unto people. We get to know him by his imparting and our seeking. That can happen in the here and now.

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
From the Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief and highest end of man?
A. Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever.

AMR
But why does God want to be glorified and why does He want us to enjoy Him forever? Isn't it because those things would increase God's pleasure?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Ultimately I believe that God wishes us to enjoy his love in our daily life.
But why does God want us to enjoy His love in our daily life? Isn't it because when we enjoy His love, it increases His pleasure?

Ps82

I can't even imagine any other possible answer.

We are to put on our armor and fight evil... We are to pick up our cross and follow Christ ... If the divine savior was rejected and persecuted ... so shall we be.

Sure - God loves us.
Sure - God desires a relationship with us as his children.
BUT - God also had planned to use us in his work to re-perfect the creation - and that is why we are the only living creatures that match the image of the divine Messiah. Those of us who choose to partner with him will even receive eternal rewards.

We don't defeat evil without the help of the divine Holy Spirit ... nor are we able to save ourselves... but our God, who was manifested through us as the Messiah has done these things ... just as God had planned to do from the beginning through us.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Jefferson,
Everyone knows that the Meaning of life is 42!
Someone already beat you to it in post 19. :p

Seriously though, are you not explaining why you think that God created Man? I.e. What does God want our life to be all about vs what is the meaning of life?
I don't see a difference between the two. What God wants our life to be all about IS the meaning of life.

The other problem is that if it really is all about increasing God's pleasure, then how do we know that He is not acting like a horror film junkie/cop show fan and enjoying all the lousy things that we do to each other so that He can act Godly? In that case a serial killer could be entertaining to him. Just look at David and all the philistines that he killed, and how the bible says that he was a man after God's heart.
Jeff, you're a smart guy and I love you but for some strange reason whenever you discuss the Bible you start reasoning like an idiot. Since God's morality is off topic to this thread, call me some Tuesday night when you're driving home from work and we'll talk. (I have lots of news).

The meaning of life is to recognize that life is rare, finite, precious and easily harmed; therefore we need to show intelligent compassion towards all while we enjoy and appreciate each day what God has given to us.
But why do you think we should we care that life is rare, finite, precious and easily harmed?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Matthew 22: 37 - 38 KJV

37 - Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 - This is the first and great commandment.

Mark 12: 30 - 31 KJV

30 - And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 - And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10: 27 - 28 KJV

27 - And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 - And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

God Bless!!

:)
But why does God want us to love Him? Isn't it because it increases His pleasure?

Stone Mason

Someone already beat you to it in post 19.

Great minds think alike….

I don't see a difference between the two. What God wants our life to be all about IS the meaning of life

Ah but it is a huge difference. First off God has created more the human life. There are Angels, Animals, plants, and who knows what else that God has created. In addition God has his own life apart from man. The meaning of life for God is different than the meaning of life for a man.

Jeff, you're a smart guy and I love you but for some strange reason whenever you discuss the Bible you start reasoning like an idiot. Since God's morality is off topic to this thread, call me some Tuesday night when you're driving home from work and we'll talk. (I have lots of news).

I'll give you a call next week BTW.

My point was to get you to think about your premise. You need a better / different word then Pleasure. If you think that the meaning of life is to increase God's pleasure then you have to define what is it that gives God pleasure. If David was a man after God's heart, then doesn't that mean by your definition that David, when he was killing all of those people, gave pleasure to God? Ditto when Joshua led Israel into the Promised Land.

Think of it this way. A horse breaks its leg. The only way to put the animal out of its misery is to shoot it. Shooting the horse is not a pleasurable event, it is a duty to be performed because it the right thing to do. I would argue that God wants us to be like Him and do the right thing, whether or not is pleasurable to Him or to us.

But why do you think we should we care that life is rare, finite, precious and easily harmed?

If a person doesn't realize this, then it will be difficult for them to progress to the point where they show intelligent compassion towards all. Which is what I think God really wants our life to be about, because it’s the right thing to do.

King David

I so agree ... for all things were made BY HIM and FOR HIM ... and we should appreciate that he created us, saved us, and has allowed us to know him.
When people discuss the meaning of LIFE ... they usually only think about their personal existence ... but LIFE is really about our relationship to God's plans... God first ... us the beneficiaries.

You also wrote:
For one to REALLY KNOW GOD, one must become LIKE GOD!!!

Most Christians would not reject this idea ... as long as one makes it clear that this does not mean that we become EQUAL with God.

I've learned that God grants LIFE ... knowledge and wisdom by measure unto mankind ... withholding things as he desires. If we become perfected for the kingdom and begin to seek God from our hearts ... then God will impart larger measures of his wisdom unto people. We get to know him by his imparting and our seeking. That can happen in the here and now.

ps82,

(I'm sorry, I'm not sure if you are male or female—I will suppose male). If so, and if you are married, and have children. Let me ask you this. If your children grow to maturity, does that subordinate you to them in any way?

Let me also ask this. Do you want your children (supposing you have some) to reach adulthood?

Calypso

Matthew 22: 37 - 38 KJV

37 - Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 - This is the first and great commandment.

Mark 12: 30 - 31 KJV

30 - And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 - And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10: 27 - 28 KJV

27 - And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 - And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

But why does God want us to love Him?

Isn't it because it increases His pleasure?

Luke 10: 28 KJV -- above --tells us "why".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.