toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

What is the meaning of life?

The most meaning we can gain out of life is to enjoy our time here on earth - for selfish reasons - and accept that we are nothing more than molecules and atoms. (and future worm food)

oh . . oh . . .!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The meaning of life? Don't you have have a purpose in life to have a meaning in life, and you cannot have a real purpose in life apart from Jesus Christ.

The Graphite

Love God and love people.

Oh, and to vote for Republican. Wait, no... I forgot... that dispensation ended quite a while back.

Calypso

What is the meaning of life?

The most meaning we can gain out of life is to enjoy our time here on earth - for selfish reasons - and accept that we are nothing more than molecules and atoms. (and future worm food)

I John 5: 9 - 13 KJV

9 - If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

10 - He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

11 - And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

12 - He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

13 - These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

God Bless . . .

:)

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
Life without God is meaningless. He is the heart and the center of our existance. No one knows what life would be without God. Perhaps that is what hell is going to be, life without God.

BabyChristian

We were created to be with him because he loved us before we were born to this earth, he wants love in return?

He is pure love.

Wadda I know, I'm a babe. Still learning. :think:

John 17:24

“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

zippy2006

We're getting there chrysostom. This is fun. The reason why I keep asking "why" is because that's how I came to my answer. I think if you keep asking yourself "why" you will come to the same conclusion. So let's continue...

Why does God care that consequences are not horrible "for everyone who did not rebel"?

How is this relevant? It seems to me that each question requires the folly of knowing the mind of God. You are trying to explain the motives and psychology of God via the 'why' question...I don't see the point.

A better question:

Why do you believe that an acceptable answer to the question can be found through human intellect? Can we somehow propell ourselves onto the level of God by theorizing why he (an infinite being) did certain things? If the riddle was easily solvable via human reason, I think it would have been solved long ago. The common concession that God is somehow related to meaning is saying that something ABOVE us provides the purpose, whereas you are trying to understand it THROUGH us. No?

zippy2006

Isn't that a meaning itself?:D

Not to be a smart-aleck, but this seems to be the same thing as an artist saying that there is no point to his art...that's kind of the point, isn't it??:juggle:

So someone can hold that opinion as long as they 'keep it to themselves'? Or is sitting completely still until you rot away the only option for someone who honestly believes there is no meaning? But idleness is a choice just as much as actively doing something, so they could technically act in any way they like. And moving back up the other side, they could also say whatever they like, since words are part of life and have no meaning, so whether they say "Life has no meaning," or "God is the center of the meaning of life" would make no difference to that person. No matter what they say or do, life has no meaning (they aren't necessarily ascribing meaning to life, they are just partaking in one of a million absurd activities by speaking or typing).

I wonder if any of that made sense (fortunately there's a chance it doesn't matter ;)).

hollyivy

There are a lot of unhappy people in this world because they don't have a purpose. In my opinion, there is only one meaningful purpose and that is to love and serve God.

My answer to this question comes right out of the Baltimore Catechism. It is really the answer to the question, "Why Did God Make You?"

God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven.

zoo22

Unless I missed it, which is certainly possible, all of this has applied to either oneself or to humanity.

What's the meaning of life as pertains to say, an orchid? Or a whale? Or bee?

My one word answer...

The meaning of life is: relationships.

This is the answer in this thread I think I closest agree with.

In a lot of respects, can apply to a rabbit or plant or anything alive as well? Anything that lives. Relationships. Self-aware of those relationships or not.

God created us to have a loving relationship with Him and others.

Trickier applying that to all aspects of life!

lucy

What is the meaning of life ?

What is the meaning of life ?

Ok, some of you out there may not like this, but in my opinion, the meaning of life depends very much on your belief about the origin of life. If you are a strict evolutionist, then life has no more meaning that that of a bug's life or your pet dog. You just try to get through it every day (why? who knows) and then you die. That's it. However, if you believe in a higher creative power, which is evidenced in the design of the earth, then the meaning of life may be inferred. "Design in the earth/life just looks like design, it's really all just chance, you say?" Since when is chance a "power" or "force" much less a creative force? For example, if you put microevolution to the test, and by this I mean that complex biological systems evolved ever so slowly over eons. Figure out the probability of Tissue Plasminogen Activator (a factor needed for blood clotting) to have evolved slowly. Making a specific blood protein via DNA/gene pieces via chance. According to Michael J. Behe, (biochemist) in his book "Darwin's Black Box" in order to come up with just the right combination to have TPA by chance the odds are 30,000 to the 4th power (Behe, Michael (1996), Darwin's Black Box. New York, NY. Touchstone publishers). That's a lot of zeros! You cannot say something as complex as life was powered by chance. Chance is not a force, it is a probability.
All that being said, if there IS a designer, and I believe there is, then He is the one who as decided the meaning of life. If you believe that designer is God, and you believe that the book we call the Bible is His description of who he is and his dealings with man, then you can derive the meaning of life. I believe therefore, that the meaning of life is to express God's glory and perfection - at least that's what it was in the beginning. Now, the meaning is to Love God with all your heart soul and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. God will take care of the rest in eternity future.

Humbly submitted,

Lucy

Ecc 12:13 This is the end of the matter. All has been heard. Fear Elohim, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For Elohim will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil.

Son of Jack

Ecc 12:13 This is the end of the matter. All has been heard. Fear Elohim, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For Elohim will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil.

That's a good first post...:e4e:

Status
Not open for further replies.