toldailytopic: What is the most physically difficult thing you have ever done in your

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Nope, I'm tiny. Dancing in heels is an artform, that's for sure!

Yeah that. I'm only 5'6"

I always remember those wise words from Eddie Izzard -

"I am a professional transvestite, so I can run about in heels and not fall over. Cause if a woman falls over wearing heels, that’s embarrassing. But if a bloke falls over wearing heels, you have to kill yourself. It’s the end of your life."

I like bunny rabbits.
I like monkeys.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:wazzup:
I was a girl scout and bred rabbits as a 4-H project.
On Toledo Bend and when the bass were not biting, it was a bit fun to try to bounce a sinker off an alligator’s head.

ragTagblues

Generally I find waking up a very taxing activity. . . of course the same can be said for going asleep!

Giving up smoking . . . .

Picking up a 197kg Motorcycle after 6 hours of riding and a bad back. . . . . . . whilst juggling chainsaw with anger management issues. . . . whilst trying to beat a chess master in 3 moves. . . .

It is actually really hard to pick up a motorbike that heavy!

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:wazzup:
I was a girl scout and bred rabbits as a 4-H project.
On Toledo Bend and when the bass were not biting, it was a bit fun to try to bounce a sinker off an alligator’s head.

Toledo Bend just outside of Many, LA? Near my neck of the woods.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Were you on board the TDS Recruit, at San Diego NTC?

Yes.​

I remember discovering why they called it a 'grinder.' Obstacle course. Boxing. 3-mile run. PT with about 3,000 other guys. The largest flag in the world. I got to help raise it and fold it one day. Passing out about five seconds after lights-out, from exhaustion. Scrubbing the line at the chow hall with a toothbrush for stepping on it. Tear gas training. Recruit leave in Tijuana.

That's right, it was the "Grinder"

The first three weeks of boot camp were at Camp Nimitz, which was just across from NTC. The remaining six weeks were at Camp Farragut. Those six weeks also included graduation parade, every Friday, company graduation was on week number nine. When I came back to NTC after recruit leave, I went to watch one of those Friday graduation ceremony/parades from the bleachers, how very impressive it was, a sea of white hats, the physical drill doing the sixteen count manual, then preparing to step-off to the change-over to "Anchors Away" and then passing in review.

Our company did not go through the tear gassing, since our company was a Brigade Company we got to donate blood as an option and have a steak dinner.

We had two abandon ship drills in the six week training period, we were taken to the sub-tender Sperry which was anchored in San Diego Bay between San Diego and North Island, and do our abandon ship drill; we jumped Navy style, anyone caught diving was for the rest of the day called "Miss Esther Williams."

My recruit leave was in Denver, then back to NTC-San Diego from which I was assigned to North Island Naval Air Station.

At the time I joined the Navy there were several tour of duty options in years to serve . . .
4 active, 2 reserve
3 active, 3 reserve
2 active, 4 reserve < this is what I chose.
6 active, no reserve
8 reserve, no active unless there was a war declaration.

I do not know what they offer now.​

Newman

I built a log cabin in the middle of the woods. It was nothing fancy, just a square with a 15-foot diagonal, but we didn't use any power tools or wheels. Just axes and our hands. Carrying the logs to the site was the hardest part. Second hardest: lifting the logs up to their level after they had been notched.

Aimiel

The first three weeks of boot camp were at Camp Nimitz, which was just across from NTC. The remaining six weeks were at Camp Farragut. Those six weeks also included graduation parade, every Friday, company graduation was on week number nine.
When practicing graduation, did you learn to fall asleep at parade rest, with your eyes open? I pulled night guard duty two nights in a row and HAD to. I actually fell asleep twice during the real ceremony. Luckily my shipmate Baker (can't remember his first name) woke me up before we had to come to attention. LOL

My parents flew to San Diego (from Cincinnati) for my graduation. What a great time. Volleyball. Boxing. Phone calls. Gedunk machines. Seeing girls for the first time after being on recruit 'island' for so long, secluded from reality. Route-stepping across bridges. 'Digging' the left foot so hard the heel wears off. Watching the rifle company practice. Good stuff. :thumb:

Aimiel

I built a log cabin in the middle of the woods. It was nothing fancy, just a square with a 15-foot diagonal, but we didn't use any power tools or wheels. Just axes and our hands. Carrying the logs to the site was the hardest part. Second hardest: lifting the logs up to their level after they had been notched.
You win.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
When I was 29 I conducted an experiment on my favorite guinea pig - me. I wanted to find out just how low of a percentage of body fat I could achieve. I knew I needed to do it before I turned 30 because it would be too difficult after that. I'm 6'1" and I weighed about 210 pounds when I started and (using the self-discipline of a navy seal) I lost 50 pounds down to 160, about what I weighed as a junior in high school. Each day for 3 months all I ate was a single meat patty, a single chicken patty and water.

But my vote goes to AMR for the most grueling physically difficult thing so far.

nicholsmom

That is harder than building houses the modern way. We built our house. I couldn't talk my husband into buying a framing nailer until we got to the trusses :chuckle: I did the math on how many nails it would take & how much time it would save & we went shopping :chuckle: We built them on the floor of the partial second story before building the walls up there. It was much easier to move them from there onto the walls of the 1-story part, so we didn't need a crane even though those trusses were 45' long and more than 9' tall - lots of men, but no crane :D

I did help with the roofing when I was pregnant with my second child. I had the toddler (1 1/2 years old) on my back in a backpack carrier and the baby in the womb, up on the roof hauling, marking, and cutting shingles for my husband to nail down. Still, that was easier than doing the 1000 square feet of tiles at 7 months pregnant, and that was easier than the births of either the first or the 4th child.

Status
Not open for further replies.