toldailytopic: What is the most physically difficult thing you have ever done in your

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

I did that in the 9th grade...well, I was 4 seconds off your pace. I managed to run 4:30 and finsihed 5th in the state. The guy who beat us lapped the field.:jawdrop: I, too, quit running competitively far too soon (I didn't run after 9th grade).

You ran 4:30 as a freshman? Wow, that's impressive!!! Why did you stop running after 9th grade? You probably could have run under 4:10 as a senior for sure. My senior year a 4:07 1600m won state (CA). A guy I knew in my league ran 4:13 in that race and finished 8th! When I ran my 4:26 I finished eighth as well. CA always has freakish high school runners. Ugh.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ran a marathon distance I'd mapped out just for the heck of it...

Else, digging a well by hand with a...I think it was called a sock...a large weight that I dropped and hauled up by hand again and again. Now that was hard and not even a little uplifting or enjoyable.

Really happy to dredge up that old memory, I can tell you. :plain:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You ran 4:30 as a freshman? Wow, that's impressive!!! Why did you stop running after 9th grade? You probably could have run under 4:10 as a senior for sure. My senior year a 4:07 1600m won state (CA). A guy I knew in my league ran 4:13 in that race and finished 8th! When I ran my 4:26 I finished eighth as well. CA always has freakish high school runners. Ugh.

I could beat that with a 413, or 426 and carrying a Dodge too!:crackup:

Aimiel

Firefighting training in boot camp, I put out a fire, which was in a smoke-filled room, by working my way up the hose as classmates gagged and left the room. I had soaked my t-shirt with spit, as we were instructed in class, doubled it over, and used it to filter the smoke so that I could breathe. When I put it out, I looked behind me, and everyone else had left, from the fumes. The fire was a log soaked in diesel fumes, with thick black smoke all the way to the floor. I was later singled out, in front of the class (about 500 sailors) as the only one who had put that particular fire out. It's designed to reinforce the use of one's clothing as makeshift gas-mask. I'm just lucky I was listening and not sleeping during the class. :thumb:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Dall sheep hunting in Alaska, walking almost straight up while your feet turn into wooden stumps.

Climbing us in the Rocky mountains, only to be bitten by a rattlesnake, afterwords, the pain was only revealed by whiskey. Copperhead bite was just a waiting pain. I got a shot of morphine in the hospital.

Let's see, well, I had many adventures, but nothing is worse than the feeling of my liver not working and when it is really bad, it feels as if I drank a pint of turpentine.

Quincy

In high school football we did two a days in the hot humid summers we have here in the southeast, and one drill was carrying another teammate piggyback up an incline, towards the end of evening practice. Unfortunately I had to carry our 6"4 365 lb tackle. I just remember thinking how can someone grow so much in just 17 years? It took me all summer but I got to I could eventually do it.

One Eyed Jack

My job is pretty hard. We're the only place in the world that produces refractory blocks from a roller hearth. And now I know why.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
  • In Navy boot camp it was the abandon ship drill, and the daily 2 hour march on the asphalt parade field.

• Shoveling off 8 yards of lump coal of my father-in-law's dump truck, it was at one of the Denver greenhouses, that would have been in the sixties.

• I didn't see any of our children, I think I would have passed out.

• Loading and loading a casket (with a body in it) from the coach (hearse) by myself. That took some careful weight lifting and moving in and out of the coach since the church truck has wheels.

Aimiel

In Navy boot camp it was the abandon ship drill, and the daily 2 hour march on the asphalt parade field.
Were you on board the TDS Recruit, at San Diego NTC?

I remember discovering why they called it a 'grinder.' Obstacle course. Boxing. 3-mile run. PT with about 3,000 other guys. The largest flag in the world. I got to help raise it and fold it one day. Passing out about five seconds after lights-out, from exhaustion. Scrubbing the line at the chow hall with a toothbrush for stepping on it. Tear gas training. Recruit leave in Tijuana.

nicholsmom

It's a tie between the births of the first child and the fourth. The first was hard because she was post-mature & took something like 24 hours after having had only 2 hours sleep the night before, and the fourth... big head, pyriformis muscle spasmed and knocked out my sciatic nerve on the right side. I had absolutely no sensation from that leg from the hip down for a day and a half - then wished I never got it back. Ouch. Still have damage in the nerve from that one.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
After reading some of these... some of you are really amazing.

My story isn't as good. I went from a 125 lb. toothpick to 145 lb. fairly lean soldier in 12 weeks. I wasn't hardly able to do a push-up, sit-up, or run when I got to basic training, but I won the "Highest in Army Physical Readiness Test" in the end. The APRT was quite different back then. To get a "100" score in the three tests of pushups, situps, and running you had to get over 100 reps of each pushups and situps in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in 11 minutes and some seconds.

I've wondered why I've never been able to stay focused/on task/determined/efficient since then.

UnityInTruth

Ironman

2.4 Mile Swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run 13:50:00

All Praise and glory to our Lord Jesus Christ...

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

Uuuumm...ok...

Giving birth. Especially number 2..he was 36 hrs.

Severe back pain, all day, every day...and they don't know why.

Passing a Kidney Stone.

Forgiving and moving on.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
DragonCon, last year.

Joined the Crüxshadows Faeries in the DragonCon Parade. Then the following day the Faeries and the band went out to lunch. The first restaurant we went to ended up being closed, so we walked across downtown Atlanta to another restaurant. A lot of walking, which normally is no big deal, but when you are doing it in 6" chunky heels (the parade) or 5" stiletto heels (the lunch death march) while wearing vinyl and a giant pair if fairy wings in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, it can be a bit of a chore. And that was all in addition to all the walking I did at the convention during the day and the dancing at night. I don't think I had any feeling left in my feet by the Monday morning.

And I've got plans to do it again this year.

Thunder's Muse

DragonCon, last year.

Joined the Crüxshadows Faeries in the DragonCon Parade. Then the following day the Faeries and the band went out to lunch. The first restaurant we went to ended up being closed, so we walked across downtown Atlanta to another restaurant. A lot of walking, which normally is no big deal, but when you are doing it in 6" chunky heels (the parade) or 5" stiletto heels (the lunch death march) while wearing vinyl and a giant pair if fairy wings in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, it can be a bit of a chore. And that was all in addition to all the walking I did at the convention during the day and the dancing at night. I don't think I had any feeling left in my feet by the Monday morning.

And I've got plans to do it again this year.

I used to regularly dance in 6+inch heels for 17 hours at a time, so I can relate! :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I gave Chuck Norris a beating in the Roman Colesium. He put up quite the fight. As a result, I started sayings about him and how tough he is out of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.