toldailytopic: What should be done with the guy who murdered the people at the Colora

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
As Pastor Bob Enyart wrote in his article "God and the Death Penalty":

"Jeffrey Dahmer raped, killed and ate parts of at least thirteen men. As punishment, the government was planning to feed, clothe, educate, medicate, entertain, and legally represent him for the rest of his life. Families of his victims would pay taxes, in part, to keep Dahmer comfortable, warm in winter and cool in summer..."
http://kgov.com/writings/god-and-death-penalty

By golly, if color tv and 3 squares a day is good enough for Dahmer...

(I jest). A fair trial followed by a swift (and just) execution.

Thunder's Muse

As Pastor Bob Enyart wrote in his article "God and the Death Penalty":

"Jeffrey Dahmer raped, killed and ate parts of at least thirteen men. As punishment, the government was planning to feed, clothe, educate, medicate, entertain, and legally represent him for the rest of his life. Families of his victims would pay taxes, in part, to keep Dahmer comfortable, warm in winter and cool in summer..."
http://kgov.com/writings/god-and-death-penalty

By golly, if color tv and 3 squares a day is good enough for Dahmer...

(I jest). A fair trial followed by a swift (and just) execution.

Was Dahmer killed in prison?

This Charming Manc

Those who propose torture say a great deal about there own souls and morals, are you trying to be like the killer or be different to him ?

Are you interested in justice or vengeance?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This Charming Manc

Executing murderers is not evil. :duh

Toturing them is.

I also think in this instance Jesus was reffering to individuals and not society, but the principles extend

However do you think our 'man of sorrows' who suffered all things including torture, so would we not, would take delight in your call for the use of lashes before the death penalty?

I think it may be abit close to home for him don't you ?

Of course you don't.

Yeah I think all torture under all circumstances is evil , does that seem strange to you ? I call it moral standards.

PureX

I am not generally in favor of capital punishment, because it's just a form of social vengeance and I don't think that's healthy for our society to engage in. But I do believe that as a practical matter, there are some types of killers that we can't afford NOT to eliminate as a social threat. And this guy appears to be of that type.

When someone kills people they don't know, just for the sake of killing them, they have shown that they can never be trusted to live among human beings again. And because there is always a risk that they may escape incarceration, or even kill while incarcerated, I believe that there is a social responsibility to see that this cannot happen. Serial killers, mass murderers, terrorists and the like can never be trusted not to kill again. And as such I see no reason that society should be expected to take the risk of keeping them alive and incarcerated. They should be executed.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What should be done with the guy who murdered the people at the Colorado Movie Theater?

James Holmes should be....

- Interviewed once or twice.
- Preached to by a Pastor.
- Painfully executed.

48 hours max.
This.

I agree with the first two but I don't think it is necessary to devise a way for him to be "painfully executed".
Being stoned would be painful, right? So why do you oppose painful execution, when it was something God commanded?

He should be given a very public interview so that viewers can see what a monster he is. He should be given the opportunity to repent and give his life to Christ. Then he should be taken out and shot by a firing squad. All this should be done in public view. That would be a very nice deterrent to any one else thinking about shooting up people in theaters or other public places.
:thumb:

I would not advocate for it to be done in public. It would be a sign of sick society that would stand in line to be able to view it.
It's not done in public so we can be spectators, but so we can see what will happen if we ever do such a thing.

Is all of this before or after application of the sixth amendment to the Constitution?
See Knight's post [quoted below].

He could get due process in 48 hours.

It's not as if we are not sure he's guilty.

After all... a speedy trial is what I'm getting at. :)
And he has every right to a speedy trial, the Constitution even agrees.

Did you hear the one by Moses? It goes like this. Thou shalt not kill.
Somebody needs to learn to read, and that somebody is you.

The command was, "Thou shalt not murder." There's a difference between murder and kill. And that is shown by the fact that after the initial ten commandments, of which this one is a part, there were further commands to kill certain criminals, and even their enemies.

:dunce::duh:

25 lashes then the firing squad if it must be a firing squad execution.
Why only 25? Why not 40, save one [in case of a miscount]?

I don't believe in returning pain for pain. Kill him but don't torture him. I don't believe in things like caning or lashes for criminal punishment.
Why no lashes? God commanded them, so why do you oppose them?

This Charming Manc

I'm actually very appreciative of that argument, however who decides, how and when?

Once you open the door to the death penalty you always stand the chance of highly dubious cases such as this one ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley

I am not generally in favor of capital punishment, because it's just a form of social vengeance and I don't think that's healthy for our society to engage in. But I do believe that as a practical matter, there are some types of killers that we can't afford NOT to eliminate as a social threat. And this guy appears to be of that type.

When someone kills people they don't know, just for the sake of killing them, they have shown that they can never be trusted to live among human beings again. And because there is always a risk that they may escape incarceration, or even kill while incarcerated, I believe that there is a social responsibility to see that this cannot happen. Serial killers, mass murderers, terrorists and the like can never be trusted not to kill again. And as such I see no reason that society should be expected to take the risk of keeping them alive and incarcerated. They should be executed.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Toturing them is.

I also think in this instance Jesus was reffering to individuals and not society, but the principles extend

However do you think our 'man of sorrows' who suffered all things including torture, so would we not, would take delight in your call for the use of lashes before the death penalty?

I think it may be abit close to home for him don't you ?

Yeah I think all torture under all circumstances is evil , does that seem strange to you ? I call it moral standards.
If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them, and they justify the righteous and condemn the wicked, then it shall be, if the wicked man deserves to be beaten, that the judge will cause him to lie down and be beaten in his presence, according to his guilt, with a certain number of blows. Forty blows he may give him and no more, lest he should exceed this and beat him with many blows above these, and your brother be humiliated in your sight.
-Deuteronomy 25:1-3

Holy Moses

Just executed. No need to waste time, resources, tax payers money nor the stress of a drawn out trial to the victims and their families.

This Charming Manc

Are you Jew living under old testament law ?

what with you with you dispensationalists wont follow the plain teaching of Jesus, but very happy apply OT law to any gentile you fancy ?

I also don't think this was part of the sentence for murder either.

If there is a dispute between men, and they come to court, that the judges may judge them, and they justify the righteous and condemn the wicked, then it shall be, if the wicked man deserves to be beaten, that the judge will cause him to lie down and be beaten in his presence, according to his guilt, with a certain number of blows. Forty blows he may give him and no more, lest he should exceed this and beat him with many blows above these, and your brother be humiliated in your sight.
-Deuteronomy 25:1-3

Holy Moses

You happy for that to be the standard if you are put on trial?

You compromise his rights you risk that of yours and your family.

I'm happy with this standard if you are caught red handed at the scene of the crime dressed in full black assault gear, including a ballistic helmet along with throat, leg and groin protection, along with tactical gloves, with the weapons in your hands or laying next to you, and warning of other crimes that have been committed (wiring the apartment), then yes. I'm just fine with the fact that his RIGHTS are not being compromised and that "reasonable doubt" has no place in this.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Just executed. No need to waste time, resources, tax payers money nor the stress of a drawn out trial to the victims and their families.
The Constitution says he has a right to a speedy trial, so why don't the courts actually listen to it for once? Because it happens to be right.

Are you Jew living under old testament law ?

what with you with you dispensationalists wont follow the plain teaching of Jesus, but very happy apply OT law to any gentile you fancy ?

I also don't think this was part of the sentence for murder either.
So I shouldn't advocate murder, theft and rape being illegal?

I don't simply apply OT law, I look at the commands of God and see which ones are just and good for society and advocate their inclusion in our own justice system because they are just and good for society, not because they're in the Bible.

But that wasn't even my point in posting that verse, this time. I posted it because you call yourself a Christian and you called such beatings "torture," thereby calling God a proponent of torture, as He commanded such beatings in certain cases.

You're a hypocrite is what I'm getting at.

Cracked

I am thinking along these lines. Its not a situation of making some sort of statement of deterrent--you cannot deter crazy. Of course, the killer may have been totally lucid in this case, but I doubt that.